Windows 7 Win 7 computer does not boot

staybolt614

My Dell laptop with Win 7 home premium crashed and will not boot to the hard drive or system disc. I tried to reinstall Win 7 from the system disc and it apparently did install to a different partition as it now shows two W7 programs on the drive. However when I get to the part where the installation is complete and the program reboots I get only a black screen with a small blinking curser in the upper left of the display. This is exactly what I had prior to reinstalling W7. Shutting down and restarting all I get is the black screen and the curser on the left top. It does not respond to the keyboard or mouse. Win 7 system disc does not give the option to fromat the HD and reinstall. Yes, I did tell the machine to boot to the CD.

Any ideas?

Dave

There is always a chance a virus is causing a problem, or your drive/controller are having problems.

Can you run a Startup Repair from your "Win 7 System" disc, whatever that is?

I once had a brand new hard drive that would allow me to install Windows 7, but the reboots, would quit working initially, or after a couple of successful ones. The hard drive was bad, a new one solved that problem.

Can you get a new drive to replace the one you have for testing? You can download the Windows 7 Install DVD .iso file if you need it.

Link Removed - Not Found

My Dell laptop with Win 7 home premium crashed and will not boot to the hard drive or system disc. I tried to reinstall Win 7 from the system disc and it apparently did install to a different partition as it now shows two W7 programs on the drive. However when I get to the part where the installation is complete and the program reboots I get only a black screen with a small blinking curser in the upper left of the display. This is exactly what I had prior to reinstalling W7. Shutting down and restarting all I get is the black screen and the curser on the left top. It does not respond to the keyboard or mouse. Win 7 system disc does not give the option to fromat the HD and reinstall. Yes, I did tell the machine to boot to the CD.

Any ideas?

Dave

Make a bootable USB and plug in. Just change the boot priority of your system to USB and press enter to boot from it.

There is always a chance a virus is causing a problem, or your drive/controller are having problems.

Can you run a Startup Repair from your "Win 7 System" disc, whatever that is?

I once had a brand new hard drive that would allow me to install Windows 7, but the reboots, would quit working initially, or after a couple of successful ones. The hard drive was bad, a new one solved that problem.

Can you get a new drive to replace the one you have for testing? You can download the Windows 7 Install DVD .iso file if you need it.

Link Removed - Not Found

I have the original Win 7 system disk and also a USB drive to boot from. The computer never reads any, just a cursor on the display.

My son is bringing over a new HD so I will work with that.

Thanks,
Dave

Back
Top Bottom