Windows 7 Win 7 install problems!

eZAK

Hello,

I have an Asus M2N-E SLI motherboard, a W.D. SATA WD300HLKS hard drive,
and a SATA DVD R/RW.
I'm trying to install Windows 7, BUT I can't get passed the...
"To install device drivers to access the hard drive, insert media....................
..... Press OK to continue.

If I hook up a IDE drive it will find that.

I've tried for hours to find a solution and/or drivers.
Tried Asus, NiVidia, Western Digital,......

No, RAID is not enabled.

Can anyone help? I'm open for suggestions!
What exact drivers am I looking for?

Last edited by a moderator:
Was the hard drive used in another system?

Do you have the SATA controller set as IDE or AHCI?

Windows 7 has most SATA controllers included, but every once in a while, one slips through.

Was the hard drive used in another system?

Do you have the SATA controller set as IDE or AHCI?

Windows 7 has most SATA controllers included, but every once in a while, one slips through.

That's some very good observations you have there.
I'll try to answer;

I bought the drive online as 'New' ! But after receiving it and installing it I now believe it was used.
No data on it, but the Win XP splash screen did appear followed by a flashing prompt then it would restart (repeat)
I have since reformatted this drive.

The SATA controller, Would I set that in BIOS ?

The SATA controller is set in the bios. You could try the other one (not RAID) to see if it would recognize the drive for testing. If you were to need a driver, it would probably come from the motherboard or system manufacture and be listed as a F6 type of driver, or you might have to extract some drivers if they are not separated. But again, this is not normally required in Windows 7 for non-RAID installs.

I can't always remember where certain things happen in the install sequence, but I you can get to the second Install Window, after selecting a language, you can use Shift+F10 to open a command prompt and clean the drive there using Diskpart.

I am not sure how the system would behave if the drive happened to be set as dynamic instead of basic, but you could check it if necessary for that also.

OK, I checked the BIOS.
Here are my options; SATA drives: Extended IDE Drive [None] [Auto] , Access Mode [Large] [Auto]
IDE Drives: Primary IDE Master [None] [Auto] [Manual] , Access Mode [CHS] [LBA] [Large] [Auto] , PIO [Auto] [Modes 0-4] ,
UDMA [Disable] [Auto]

Everything is set to [Auto]

Still working on the rest!

How old is this system? The options you list are not normally the ones for today's SATA controllers..

Well Saltgrass, I tried the BIOS thing but Asus does not even list Windows 7 as an option.

It looks like I'm in the market for a new MoBo! Hopefully I can find one that will use a AMD 64 Athlon X2 and 8GB of DDR2.

Back