Windows 7 Win 7 not booting after upgrade

karthiks

Hey,

I have been a user of the Win 7 RC build 7100 (32 bit). I like it very much. but now an issue has cropped up which has ruined all the love and fun. After a windows update today, my laptop doesn't boot into win 7. I get to the login screen and after login, it just hangs.

I have tried restoring it to a previous state before the update and it still doesn't work. My room mate's laptop has also run into the same problem.

Kindly help.

Cheers.

If you are sure it was an update (I doubt that) Open the Comtrol Panel (icon mode) and select Programs and Features"
Select the option, top left, "View installed updates"
Right click the updates you suspect and uninstall. (There are just a few, for various reasons, which will not allow and uninstall.)
Check you update settings again as soon as possible.

If you are sure it was an update (I doubt that) Open the Comtrol Panel (icon mode) and select Programs and Features"
Select the option, top left, "View installed updates"
Right click the updates you suspect and uninstall. (There are just a few, for various reasons, which will not allow and uninstall.)
Check you update settings again as soon as possible.

I tried that but all the updates are older than yesterday. the system restore I did stated a save point just before a windows update on today's date. That is why I suspect it. I only installed a printer driver otherwise which my mate didn't install. Both mine and my mate's laptop went out on the same day within a span of a few hours. I do think that it is too much of a coincidence.

thanks for the suggestion :)

No new ideas? Seems like I will have to install XP again and ask my mate to do the same :( So much for windows

this helped - http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/6678-everything-goes-black.html#post32055

also I found out that the update was -

Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.59.659.0)

Installation date: ‎6/‎2/‎2009 4:38 AM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

Install this update to revise the definition files used to detect spyware and other potentially unwanted software. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.

More information:
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Help and Support:
Windows Defender: Home Page

And in some a$$ backwards way as always happens with Windows, everything became ok again. I got back my original profile and life goes on.

Edit: Seems like I spoke too soon, the black screen has returned :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom