Windows 7 Win 7 Repair Disk

rhwright

Honorable Member
Win 7 backup to image file. Two partition hard disk, C and D. C is Win XP. D is Win7. When backing up, Win7 creates two vhd files, one for C and one for D. Testing Repair Disk, the system offers to restore D but not C. Will C be restored by default? If not, how to restore C?

I would recommend the Macrium Reflect it has a free version and is an excellent program. I have the purchased version. for backups it is as good as Acronis, the one item Acronis has that Macrium does not have is Acronis has a clone function.

Thanks, Sarge. I will check out the Macrium as well. My machine is rather puny, compared to what you have. So, if the Macrium works for you, it certainly should work for me. Appreciate your help.

Win 7 backup to image file. Two partition hard disk, C and D. C is Win XP. D is Win7. When backing up, Win7 creates two vhd files, one for C and one for D. Testing Repair Disk, the system offers to restore D but not C. Will C be restored by default? If not, how to restore C?

You can restore system drive C: if you boot from 7 install DVD -> Repair Computer -> System Recovery Options -> System Image Recovery.

As for alternative freeware backup solutions, I quite like:

Free Backup Software for Hard Drive System Backup and Restore. Backup freeware for data backup and disaster recovery in Windows 7/XP/Vista and Linux - EASEUS

DriveImage XML Backup Software - Data Recovery Product

Clonezilla

You are telling me, Cybercore, that Win 7 System Image Recovery will recover everything of whatever it backed up, is that right? So, if I choose to recover D the System will also recover C at the same time? There is no option to recover either C or D, as needed? In a multiboot system, using the Win 7 System Image Recovery means that recovering one is recovering all. I did note in trying out the Acronis software that it found and recognized the Win 7 made VHDs on an external hard drive and offered me the option of recovering either of them as well as any part of them.

Back