Windows 7 Win 7 Ultimate x86 install error 0x80070079

voyageurs60

I was having problems with a computer with a win 7 ultimate installation. Ran Spinrite and found errors, they were corrected. When trying to reboot - something was wrong. So decided to do a clean install from the original disk. This is the same disk used for the previous clean install.

Once disk started and accepted the terms of service choose Install - Custom and formatted the drive... really wanted a clean install. After the format chose next and the install seems to start normally. During the "Expand Windows Files"?, I think that is what it says the following error comes up...

Windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files for installation are available. 0x80070079.

So what is up? Suggestions? Bad hard drive?

Thanks - Dan

Dan,

I was able to find this in another Forum where I write, also. The original query to which it responds is not an exactly the same as your but, still the answer & links provided may help.

Thanks for your post!

This issue may be a little complex and require some steps to troubleshoot:

1. Update the driver of wireless network adapters in both of your computers.
  2. Temporarily disable all the firewalls and anti-virus applications, then check the issue again.
  3. To exclude the factors from other services and applications, do a clean boot to check the issue and perform Step 4.

(KB929135) How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista
    Link Removed - Invalid URL
  4. With clean boot, try to apply the hotfixes contained in the following KB articles:

(KB932045) Error message when you use a network connection to copy a large file from one Windows Vista-based computer to another Windows Vista-based computer: "The connection has been lost"

5. (KB932063) Several problems occur on a Windows Vista-based computer when you work in a wireless network environment
If problem still persists after steps above, this issue is very possibly due to network devices or configurations, please let me know:

1. Whether this problem occurs in wired network?
  2. If strengthening the network signals, the problem can be changed?
  3. What size of files will lead to this error.
  4. Does this error terminate the copy process?
  5. Models of the wireless network adapter and wireless router.
GL

Cheers,
Drew

Some drive manufacturers make a checking utility to use on their drives. Seagate and Western Digital are at least two.

Is this Install "disk" and install DVD and if so, is it retail or did you burn it? But if you are talking about the expanding files during the normal screen and not the black screen with the white line, it will probably be related to the hard drive.

Is you install an upgrade? If not, you might be able to use Diskpart to clean the drive prior to installation.

Thanks for the link Drew. My post was probably not clear. I have reformatted the drive. No data, No operating system. The methods outlined would not allow me to update the drivers with no OS would they? The computer does not have a wireless card. The network is connected by a cable.

Saltgrass - I will check into the mfg disk utility. From what I read regarding Diakpart the OS must be installed. As above there is no OS installed at this time. I did a disk format and wiped it out. The disk was burned from TechNet and is the disk originally used to install the OS on this machine.

I am in the step of reburning the IOS file to an install disk and also creating a USB disk for install.

Thanks - DJC

In case you need it, Diskpart can be run after booting from the Install DVD. On the second page after selecting a language, you can hit Shift+F10 to get a command prompt. I normally just use the "clean" option after I make sure the disk I select is correct. If you need commands, post back.

If you get to the partitioning page later, make sure and hit "refresh" just in case.

Edit: Also, if you get far enough with the install, there may be a setupact.log you could retrieve using the command window. It might be located in C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\setupact.log or if there is a Windows directory, possibly in that Panther directory. But if you find two, they may be different.

Last edited:
Saltgrass - left this problem for a while, it was getting to frustrating. When I choose shift+f10 I did get the the dos screen. Concern... l am at a "X:\Sources>" prompt...

What I did was remove the hard drive, move to another computer, formatted and partitioned the hard drive...

Installation started and I have the same error as before...

Important points -
Computer has NO operating system on it.
No WIFI card in the CPU.
Have a burned disk from my TechNet subscription.
Hard Drive removed formatted and partitioned on another
Win 7 machine since last try...

Thanks for helping - Dan

Well, we don't seem to be getting anywhere. Installing Windows 7 if not normally a big deal, so something is either wrong or not configured correctly.

So, check your bios and make sure it is set to AHCI for the SATA controller. If it is IDE, that might be OK, but not RAID.

When you had the drive in the other system. On the far left in Disk Management, if you right click, does it give you an option to convert the Drive to GPT or MBR? Just checking since it sound like the drive needs to be MBR.

When you formatted the drive, how exactly did you format it?

Are you certain Spinrite is Windows 7 compatible.

Tomorrow I will give you the commands to clean the drive in diskpart. That is the last thing I can think of doing.

OK, I will assume you are in your system with only one hard drive and no flash or other external drives.

Boot into the Install DVD and on the second page, hit Shift+F10 as before.

Then:

Start the utility (the X: is just the virtual drive/Ramdisk)

Diskpart

Check your drives, will be listed as Disk 0,1,...

List Disk

Select the drive you want to work on, with one drive, it will be 0

Select Disk 0

Clean the Drive

Clean

Then exit Diskpart and the window

Exit
Exit

Now continue the install. On the Partitions page, click refresh to make sure the drive is seen as clean, and add your Windows partition if you want by using the Disk Properties (or whatever) on the lower right. I normally use 120-160 gigs for mine. You can add other partitions after you get Windows installed.

Now make sure you select the partition you added (if it doesn't show up, click refresh again) and install Windows. You do not have to enter a key or check the "activate when online" box during the install, so you can do that much later.

If this process does not work, I would have to assume a problem with the drive or the controller, possibly even a connection. Make sure you have it plugged into one of the basic SATA ports and not one that is controlled by another controller for which you may not have yet added a driver.

Back