Windows 7 Win 7 will not start

tosc7506

My apologies if this is a repost, but I did a search and couldn't find the exact duplicate of my problem. When I try to start windows things progress through the post screen, then the windows is starting screen, but then the screen goes black and falls into the windows repair screen. I selected repair and left for work, that was 7 hours ago. I tried to restart and get the same result.
When I try to start in safe mode with or without networking the startup seems to hang up on the windows\sys32\drivers\classpnp.sys point.

I have tried unplugging the ps (even turned the switch of on it). same results

wifes gonna kill me after I talked up win 7 so much (it's my fault I killed her pet)

thanks

now when I try to start the pc, it starts loading windows then goes to bsod with 5 error codes. half the time it says video driver failed to initialize.

I have tried safe mode with the low display settings.

One thing though, in bios the hard drive show up, when I ran the avg recovery cd, the hard drive did not show up.

If my HD was bad would the computer even get this far in the start process. I don't mind reinstalling windows, I just can't even get that option to come up.

Well it does sound like a Video card issue. But in order to test the Video card we need get into the Windows. See if you can borrow a video card from a friend and see if that works.

Run a Hardware Diagnostic (Memory and Hard Drive) follow this link for instructions:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Last edited by a moderator:
This is't related to the original post but to Captain Jack's blank one.
I got the same thing a while ago.

When I posted my message and then went to check it, it was blank like Jack's.
I closed my browser restarted it entered the forum and used edit, when I opened edit my message was still there.

After several tries saving it I was finally able to get it to appear.

I noticed that when I was posting and went to preview it was not doing so, so I just went Submit and got the blank post.

As for the original post, as suggested running startup repair multiple times seems to be a solution to a lot of the issues, seems weird but I've had the same thing, 3rd times the charm!

Oh, it may never say that it fixed anything, but it will boot anyway.
I've had multiple times when it said that it couldn't find the problem, but the computer worked fine after that.

Mike

Last edited:
I removed my 2 vid cards, switched to the on board vid card and still get the same results. I'm leaning towards the HD being bad.

Any other suggestions, I tried the repair 3 times thing with the same results. I tried to reinstall the OS but I cant even get to that option. With the dvd in the drive it jumps right to the repair screen.

If I don't get this fixed soon I'm not sure what the wifes gonna do. I saw her checking out the knife sharpener last night.....

... safe mode with or without networking the startup seems to hang up on the windows\sys32\drivers\classpnp.sys point.

1. Possibly a peripheral's fault - unplug all peripherals and try to boot.
2. Let's check your RAM <- CPU-Z -> MEMORY tab & SPD one -> attach your screenshots

It would be great if you could tell us if there were any recent software or hardware changes.

When I try to start windows things progress through the post screen, then the windows is starting screen, but then the screen goes black and falls into the windows repair screen. I selected repair and left for work, that was 7 hours ago. I tried to restart and get the same result.
When I try to start in safe mode with or without networking the startup seems to hang up on the windows\sys32\drivers\classpnp.sys point.
What to try:

1. unplug peripherals
2. startup repair from 7 instasll dvd
3. startup repair options -> command prompt -> sfc /scannow
4. upgrading over current install
5. setup defaults in the bios
6. Link Removed - Invalid URL

Ok, I unhooked all the usb devices except for mouse and keyboard. Still running on the integrated vid card. ran the scannow and no probs were found. off to hardware diag now.

Back