Windows 7 Win 7 wont accept my original key

rickbolinski

Hello, I have an Acer that had Microsoft home Premium on it but no disks. I had to re install so I used the key that is on the sticker under the laptop but after installation I got the message that it wasn't the right key. So i followed the prompts that led me to a phone call to activate by giving a bunch of numbers that were sent to Microsoft and it still says invalid key. Their is no OEM key that I can find and I cant get recovery to come up. I have a copy of a Win 7 Home that I used to install but its not the original. Is their a way to use the original key somehow?

I know you said you don't have any Windows Disk but do you have a Recovery Partition?

You may need to contact Acer to get this resolved. With OEM License, Acer is responsible for any Windows problems not Microsoft.

It has a partition that has a file called USER PC which may be the recovery but when I use repair/f10 it dosent recognize it. I think your right about contacting Acer but I am not the original owner.

It has a partition that has a file called USER PC which may be the recovery but when I use repair/f10 it dosent recognize it. I think your right about contacting Acer but I am not the original owner.
Whether you are the original owner or not doesn't matter. The PC came with an OS and you are still entitled to that OS. You may have to purchase Recovery Disk but I see no reason why Acer wouldn't be entitled to help.

Legally, a pre-installed computer comes with a disk. The right for a disk, or warranties or anything, do not disappear with a sell of the product. Just like cars, mobile phones, boats, cameras or anything: the rights remain.

I agree, this is whats annoying, a workable laptop, legal key but cant seem to use it, so yes I need to hunt down Acer people to see what can be done. If that partition is gone then i am hooped anyways right.

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool
(download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
Once saved, run the tool.
Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
- **in your own thread**, please
Please also state the Version and Edition of Windows quoted on your COA sticker (if you have one) on the case of your machine (or inside the battery compartment), but do NOT quote the Key on the sticker!
How to Tell

Ok, shall do, but I think the problem was the wrong OS. It should be Vista so when I can find a copy of Vista Home Premium I will give it a shot first.

thanks

Ok, shall do, but I think the problem was the wrong OS. It should be Vista so when I can find a copy of Vista Home Premium I will give it a shot first.

thanks

Bingo...that's why the OEM key didn't work. You have a couple of options available; you can try to reinstall the origianl OS from the hidden partition if it's still there. Call you PC manufacturer and request an OEM OS for install - generally at a minimum cost. Or download an ISO and install using the OEM Prodouct code of said PC/laptop.

Note: the install is bit specific - download the correct bit OS. To find that, go to laptop's website and look for spec sheet.

Download: Windows Vista Service Pack 1 All Language Standalone DVD ISO - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details

Last edited:
Hey bassfisher, I'm not sure if you are aware but the link you provided is not install media for vista. Thats the link to the first Service Pack for updating Windows Vista.

The only legitimate source link (my opinion anyway) I know of is this one. There are two links available on the page, one for 32bit and one for 64bit.
Link Removed - Not Found

Funny you should say that, I followed your link and noticed the links contained within Heidoc.net pages use the very same links as MDL, which is the site you classify as a hacker site.

Yep - MDL is definitely a hacker's playground.
The links are the same, because they are the only authorised legal download sites for public use - and they have nothing to do with MSDN (as the MDL link claims they do)
I prefer not to route people through hacker's sites because of the other stuff they may come across there - the site I link to fulfills that purpose admirably.

I prefer not to route people through hacker's sites because of the other stuff they may come across there - the site I link to fulfills that purpose admirably.
I need to remember this. Thanks for sharing. To be honest those links were the only correlations I've had with the site. I never knew MDL was otherwise known as a hacker's playground.

Good to know we have watch hounds with an angle of view of 360 degrees. I commend both of the previous authors.

No I wasn't...it was a late late night last night...Thanks for pointing that out to me and for the correct link....much appreciated.

Not to forget rickbolinski, as user: it's not the end-users responsibility to get it working - like it would be a car owner's responsibility to get the car started? Or the light bulb buyer's responsibility to get the bulb lit? Big BLASTED NO: you buy a computer, and you're supposed to have it working - if they require that you're an engineer in order to understand it, they may not and cannot sell it as a consumer product.

This annoys me a great deal. Like seen in this Forum too: You have a question... the answer is you'll get ten questions: "What is, what was, when was whatever was..."

One word: responsibility.
Another word: position of responsibility - who's got it?

Not to forget rickbolinski, as user: it's not the end-users responsibility to get it working - like it would be a car owner's responsibility to get the car started? Or the light bulb buyer's responsibility to get the bulb lit? Big BLASTED NO: you buy a computer, and you're supposed to have it working - if they require that you're an engineer in order to understand it, they may not and cannot sell it as a consumer product.

This annoys me a great deal. Like seen in this Forum too: You have a question... the answer is you'll get ten questions: "What is, what was, when was whatever was..."

One word: responsibility.
Another word: position of responsibility - who's got it?

Your analogy is much flawed, IMHO.
You car requires periodic maintenance and oil-changes - some people can and will do this themselves, and some can't or won't.
The same applies with computer maintenance.
You are entitled to expect that the machine works properly when delivered - it's then up to you to ensure that the daily maintenance is done, (oil top-ups in a car, AV updates in a computer) and that the relevant bills are paid (taxes and fuel in a car, ISP and electric in a computer). If you want to cutomise it, either take the classes, and do it yourself, or pay someone to do it for you.

A car is a consumer product - and yet nearly every country in the world requires that a driver takes a knowledge/skills test prior to owning a license. A good case could be made for a similar license requirement for a computer that's anything more than a dumb terminal.

I admit, it is very flawed. New technology has always been difficult for common people, ever since the invention of the wheel, but since we supposedly have an increase in customer service, should we not have it in practice too? And during my 40 years of experience, it's all gone worse: customers are expected more, while sellers are expected less, and manufacturers mostly put the pressure on lower steps.

Then again, if you accept, mankind is flawed.

Back