Windows 8 win 8.1 favorites MSIE 11

Peterr

Fantastic Member
Hello
On both my desktop and laptop which have Win 8.1 and are quite similar, I cannot move the items within Favorites. I can click on one and it opens but if I try to hold it down and move it up or down, I no longer can since Win 8.1 was installed.
I tried reinstalling the favorites with import /export to no avail.
Thank you for any ideas.
Peter

I just checked mine....it works for me...I can move any and all up and down. Try resetting IE.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Let me reset Internet Explorer settings myself
  1. Close all Internet Explorer and Explorer windows that are currently open.
  2. Start Internet Explorer.

Note If you are running Windows 8, start Internet Explorer for the desktop. Changing your settings will affect both Internet Explorer and Internet Explorer for the desktop.
  3. On the Tools menu, tap or click Internet options. If you don't see the Tools menu, press Alt.
  4. In the Internet Options window, tap or click the Advanced tab.
  5. Tap or click Reset. If you're using Windows Internet Explorer 6, click Restore Default.
  6. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, tap or click Reset.

Select the Delete personal settings check box if you also want to remove browsing history, search providers, Accelerators, home pages, Tracking Protection, and ActiveX Filtering data.
  7. When Internet Explorer finishes applying default settings, tap or click Close, and then tap or click OK.
  8. Exit and then start Internet Explorer.

Hello Bassfisher...
Thank you for replying. It is always a relief to get help. unfortunately resetting with or with out checking the box and rebooting did not resolve this issue.
I did find a workaround however.
I used to just click on favorite and slide them up and down never paying attention to other choices.
Now I click on "organize favorites", assemble them as I want, then close and it is done.
I do not know if this was the way it used to be or if I have a glitch whereby I cannot just move them without clicking organize first. At least it is functional and a relief.
8 and 8.1 have little differences like this.

Once again, good to hear from you.
Peter

Can you post a screen shot of the "organize favorites" you're seeing.. ...I don't have that option in IE11.

Hello Bassfisher...
Thank you for replying. It is always a relief to get help. unfortunately resetting with or with out checking the box and rebooting did not resolve this issue.
I did find a workaround however.
I used to just click on favorite and slide them up and down never paying attention to other choices.
Now I click on "organize favorites", assemble them as I want, then close and it is done.
I do not know if this was the way it used to be or if I have a glitch whereby I cannot just move them without clicking organize first. At least it is functional and a relief.

Once again, good to hear from you.
Peter
Can you post a screen shot of the "organize favorites" you're seeing.. ...I don't have that option in IE11.

Certainly please see the attachment. Peter

Attachments

• Favorite's organize.png
    Favorite's organize.png
    431.7 KB · Views: 440
Wow. That is a lot of single favourites. Have you tried grouping them?

That's why I like Chrome and FF...so easy to set up folders in bookmarks bar. In IE it can be done, but MS makes it such a PIA to accomplish it.....what were they thinking.

I showed my wife FF and we both like it. It is also accessible to sites where explorer cannot go like snappish(to upload).
We are now using FF, mostly. Chrome is good too, just like the Chromebook when you open it. That is where we are going as our needs/enthusiasm decrease. We are getting too old to fight the good fight with MS. So if we continue much longer it may be the Chromebook. I like it as you open it and there you are no parts to break and encrypted uploads mean fair security. I have used it and liked it, after a while. The extensions took a bit to get used to briefly though.
MS fav's grouping would be good; however I can pick out a favorite in the dark after so many times using it.
Thanks all

I like either, FF or IE. But my preference is with IE. I hate the bookmark bar staring at me, so I stay away from it.
But, bass, I don't have any difficulties with setting up my favourites/folders. In fact, although, obviously, I sometimes add a little and modify, I am using the same list that I had with XP. I just save the favourites folder and transfer it as Oss progress.

The organize Favorites allows new folders, but in my case it's just as easy for me to open the Favorites folder and organize everything from there rather than use the Favorites Toolbar or the Menu Toolbar. This just shows there are multiple ways to accomplish anything in Windows.

Hmmm. Haven't run into this problem yet in IE11. I like Chrome for speed, but I have to use IE as most of my Customers use it and break it, so I run for most things. Since I have like 5,000 favorites from all the way back in Win2kPro days, I find it easier to get to things from the IE menu (any version) than the Chrome version. :rolleyes: That's one of the few downsides; I don't like how when you have thousands of favorites it doesn't let you scroll down through your lists of groups when you reach the bottom of your page. It just stops and you're out of luck! :iee: Then I have to switch back to IE to get way down that list to the favorites folder I'm lookin for. eek! :bigtongue:

BIGBEARJEDI

Hello just upgraded to Windows 8.1 so I now have IE 11. I have the Menu Bar enabled I used to be able to move links up and down within a folder buy simply holding the left button on the mouse and moving up or down now all I get is a black circle with a line through it. I can do it the above way but I have folders within folders within folders and its just a lot harder that way.

Dose anybody know any way to enable it like IE 10 and every previous version if you can please help that would be appreciated thanks.

The organize Favorites allows new folders, but in my case it's just as easy for me to open the Favorites folder and organize everything from there rather than use the Favorites Toolbar or the Menu Toolbar. This just shows there are multiple ways to accomplish anything in Windows.

Hi not sure what you mean by Open the Favorites folder could you explain that.

Thank you

Thanks for the reply I think I will stick with the organize favourites option. But that's more clumberson when you have about 2000 favourites organized in folders within folders within folders you get the idea. :)

Anyone know why they might or removed the simple method of just holding down the left mouse button or anyway to get it back.

Cheers

"Anyone know why they might or removed the simple method of just holding down the left mouse button or anyway to get it back."

I still can?

Back