Windows 7 Win7 Can't Boot or Safe Boot ANY disk due to STOP 0x7B

Ninethe

Extraordinary Member
I can no longer boot 64-bit Win 7 Pro in normal or Safe Mode on ANY disk due to BSOD: STOP 0x0000007B (0XFFFF880009A97E8, 0XFFFFFFFFC0000034, 0, 0). The motherboard is an Asus Z-87A.

NOTE: I profusely apologize, but since I can't even boot in Safe Mode, I cannot run the "W7F Diagnostic Tool" or any other reporting tool, and since the 0x7B BSOD hits so fast that it doesn't create any dump files.

Please also keep in mind that I can't boot from ANY of seven different disks I've tried, some are internal SATA 3's and some are external USB drives (some USB3 and some USB2): This means that this particular 0x7B cannot be caused by a bad disk.

I have two separate month-old backup boot partitions, and they won't boot either for exactly the same reason, even after copying them to a different disk. One is on a second partition of the main SSD (my regular boot partition is on the first partition), and the other is on a regular SATA 3 internal hard disk. As I've said, copying these boot partitions to different disks makes no difference. I can only boot from flash drives with various bootable system, including Win 7 Pro install media, Lsoft Active @ boot media, AOMEI boot media, etc.

The last thing I did was use AutoRuns to disable some unwanted startups my startup manager (Chameleon Startup Manager) didn't see and thus couldn't disable. However, as I said above, I have two separate month-old backup boot partitions, and I made no changes whatsoever to these, so surely one or the other should boot fine, but I get the same BSOD on all boot disks & partitions!

What I've done so far:

- Ran Startup Repair 6 times total. Each time it reports that it could not repair the problem.

- Tried system restore. It reported every restore attempt failed.

- Booted up with LSoft Active @ Boot Disk, latest version (15.x). Then I ran Check Disk on all disks and partitions, and no problems were reported anywhere. Then I examined all the disks and partitions, and the reports said everything is perfect: all partitions were of the right type, and the integrity of all disks were ideal. Then I ran it's MemTest for 8 hours with no problems.

- Confirmed the BCD store for all disks were setup correctly.

- Disconnected various hard disks and tested via trial and error if this helped. It never solved the problem.

- I've confirmed I have the latest BIOS installed.

Again, recall that this BSOD occurs so early in the boot process that it does not produce any dump files, so I can't post them.

Note also that the system booted perfectly immediately prior to the AutoRuns changes to the main boot partition, so the odds are ridiculously low that this is any kind of hardware-related problem. At the same time, the odds are ridiculously low that a software problem is the cause given that the other two backup boot partitions won't boot either and give the same BSODs when I try to boot them. It would thus seem that if there is such a low probability of either a hardware or software problem, then my system should at least boot one of the backups, but it won't! I'm baffled!

Please help!

Hi,
as your probably already aware Bugcheck 7B means inaccessible boot device. This might be down to a driver or hardware and what i would do is to remove all drives (including zip drives and external drives) and just leave the C drive connected. Try booting from the Windows 10 disk and running the start up repair.
If that fails to work and you do have back ups then I'd wipe the drive clean using the install disk and re-install Windows 10. Let's see if we can at least get the pc up and running.
I have to go out but will be back shortly so will check back for any updates. Hope all goes well.

Problem solved, and as I thought, there was NO disk or other hardware problem. Also, the BSOD 0x7B was pretty much incidental and irrelevant.

Since I was desperate and wasn't getting any help that actually addressed the actual problem, I started changing BIOS settings pretty much by random trial and error. When I changed the "Secure Boot" setting from "Windows (efi?)" to "Other OS", all my boot partitions suddenly started booting perfectly again!

So the BSOD was highly misleading and merely hinted that some particularly obscure setting might be amiss and there was no hardware problem of any kind.

Back
Top Bottom