Windows 7 Win7 Dual Boot install - does not wan to take 2nd OS

zoran

Hi everyone,
After installing Win 7 ULT 32 and 64 several times I have exsosted all ideas. Hope someone can suggest how to resolve this:

- I am able to install either 32 or 64 version as a first OS, but when trying to install it as a second OS on the SEPARATE PARTITION OF THE SAME SATA3 HD, it fails once the install starts at app 30 min to complete the install. Tried it several times and it always fails.

- XP Pro fails to install as either first or second OS (can not install it at all). It gives me blue screen.

When working with one OS only (either Win 7 32 or 64 ULT) all drivers install with no issues and system is stable so I assume my issues are not hardware related.

Here is hardware config:
- AMD 6 core 1920T
- SATA3 WD 1TB hard drive - Western Digitac Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200
- Sapphire HD 5770 Varor X video card
- 2x4GB of Kingston RAM
-Asus M4A89GTD Pro USB3 motherboard
-CoolMaster UAF920 case with 750W power supply (750GTX)

Here they are. Thanks. 3.jpg1.jpg5.jpg

Alright, good. Your memory is set well in the bios, for your system.

What exactly happens when the 2nd OS "fails" to install? Does it hang or freeze, does the system shut down...any error messages? Any details will be helpful.

From your good install, it would probably be a good idea to make sure that the other partition you are trying to install to is a primary partition.

Use disk management to look.

Thanks a LOT!!!

Yes it is primary.

The XP ends with blue screen and some srazy numerical message (in either case - 1st or 2nd OS)
Win7 ULT (32 and 64) gives user friendly message that something can not be unpacked or so. If needed I can have exact in 30 min or so . I can try doing it again.
However it installs fine from the same disks when Win7 (32 or 64) ULT is the first OS.

Last edited:
That message usually is the result of a bad burn. For best results and also a few other reasons too, you should try to make a USB stick to boot from and install from. Once made, you'd have to set the bios to boot from the USB device. Many times, bios shows this as another hard drive, so keep that in mind while looking to set it so.

Use a USB Key to Install Windows 7

Last edited:
OK that sounds reasonable, but still gives me issue thinking that is the case since the disk is read OK every time I am installing it as first OS and never when installing it as 2nd OS.

Any other idea?

I will try what you suggested.

OK Here I am just an hour later :)
I did not have large enough USB to copy the Win7 64 but did consider suggested issues with disk image and afer giving the disk a nice cleaning, started again and .... BINGO... it installed...

Now I am in a different shape... Some of my software is not running on the Win7 and I am windering would it be possible to have XP installed as well. I have already created a new partition but do not know where to find andhow to install XP drivers for my system.
I have SATA3 drive and assume I should somehow insert the srivers for it when installing the XP.
Any suggestions where to get the driver for WD1002FAEX and how to install it. THX.

OK Here I am just an hour later :)
I did not have large enough USB to copy the Win7 64 but did consider suggested issues with disk image and afer giving the disk a nice cleaning, started again and .... BINGO... it installed...

Now I am in a different shape... Some of my software is not running on the Win7 and I am windering would it be possible to have XP installed as well. I have already created a new partition but do not know where to find andhow to install XP drivers for my system.
I have SATA3 drive and assume I should somehow insert the srivers for it when installing the XP.
Any suggestions where to get the driver for WD1002FAEX and how to install it. THX.

Very welcome.

To install XP, you are going to need the pre-insallation SATA driver from your motherboard's website. You will have to have it on floppy, CD, DVD or USB stick , uncompressed. (Or even an IDE hard drive you might have attached.)

When the installer says "Press F6 to to install 3rd party drivers" or somethign very similar, maybe even a different key to press....then do so.

In a moment or two, it will ask you where the driver is. Then tell it and on you go.

Enjoy. :)

OK - I tried wothout that step and what received was blue screen
IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_OQUAL
STOP: 0x00000010,0x00000002,0x00000000,0x8051AA58

I tried searching around the net for the SATA driver for my motherboard but could not find it (?).I guess I just do not know what to look for. Any chance you could direct me there. The motherboard is Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3.
I was at ASUS web site and was able to find TD not GTD ASUSTeK Computer Inc. and lots of downloads listed in that section but no SATA. PLease see screen capture.

I also have a disk I received with the mother board but no SATA mentioned there. Here is another screen as well..
Thanks in advance!!!

I tried installing XP again and at the begining was presented with a message saying to press F6 in case I would need to install SCASI, RAID, or 3rd party drivers. I pressed F6

After that came message saying to press F2 in case I would like to enter the Automatic System Recovery - I did not press anything and the insall went loading...

A minute later a new screen saying that the NONE mass storage device was detected came up and asking to press S in case I have manufactiurers disks to use when specifying new mass storage devices. I assume this is when I should use the drivers (please confirm).

I pressed S with the unzipped drivers on both CD and USB (tried multiple USB ports) but no luck
I was just presented a message saying that Could not find a FLOPPY on you machine to load OEM drivers (?).

So for some reason it is searching for drivers on floppy only insted of CD or USB.

Any other suggestion?
THX

Yep, you did and explained everything well and that is when you should "use the driver".

Seems for XP, you might actually need to put the driver on an actual floppy (or slipstream the driver into the installer, which is not easy for an intermediate user):

A connected USB floppy disk drive does not work when you press F6 to install mass storage drivers during the Windows XP installation process

------------

Anyhow, what does not work on 7 for you? Perhaps I can recommend an alternative software or a method to use what you are trying to, instead.

Back
Top Bottom