Windows 8 Win8.1 & win8 DVD

nichosi

Win8.1 & win8 DVD

Hi,

With 8.1 forced upon us on PC & Laptop without knowing it was upgrading, what will happen now If I want to use my Win8 DVD to repair?.

I tried the DVD in the w8.1 laptop, it asked for the IDnos. I made sure twice I typed them correctly, took ages to check them & then said are not the correct ones.

Did the same on my PC, typed same ID, it was accepted & proceeded to install but, I was not sure if the "Repair" would come up eventually so aborted the install.

What would happen if I went on to repair or install? would I loose my system? .....thanx ....nick

Hey Nichosi,
If you go into the bios, change the boot order to DVD ROM first so that you will effectively boot from the windows 8 disk. Reboot and when prompted press any key to boot from the DVD. Go through each install screen until you see the final one which basically say's 'Install'. If you look in either the bottom left or right corners you'll see 'Repair', click that instead.
Using Repair will not remove any files.

To try a refresh or other similar methods means you ideally need a Windows 8.1 installation disk. You can download one here:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media
Although you'll need an activation key for windows 8.1..

Nichosi you do know that you don't have to use Windows 8.1 if you don't want to? You could always use your Windows 8 disk to re-install and then adjust the settings so that you keep on windows 8 if that would make life simpler for you. Using windows 8 or 8.1 automatically qualifies you for a free copy of windows 10 so you can always upgrade to win 10 later if you wish too..

Thanx,

I think I was much better with win 8 & heard a lot of complains about 8.1.

So if I boot with the 8 DVD will I go back to straight w8 without loosing anything?

And where shall I place the new install, or will it overwrite the present installation?

I do not want to end up with two windows, it will be confusing ........nick

EDIT, is win10 any better?

You will lose some files Nichosi if you go back. Can you put them onto disk or some other storage like online?

The new install will overwrite the old one. As I said above go into the Bios and boot from the disk. This is whats called a clean install. If your unsure on how to do this just say and we'll guide you through it.

Windows 10 is still in beta or Preview stage although many of us, including myself, are using it as their main operating system. It does have a few bugs and you can follow the latest updates as well as news etc here:
http://windowsforum.com/forums/windows-10-technical-preview.291/

Thanx win10 may not be for me.

I booted the Laptop with w8 DVD clicked on repair but it said unable to repair !!

You could try going into Programs via the control panel, look for 'Turn windows features on or off' and disable internet explorer. Reboot, run Ccleaner and then reenable Internet Explorer by the same method you used to turn it off.
You can find Ccleaner here:
https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Back