Windows 8 win8 will not boot

I'm using AMD, and for AMD to utilize 3 monitors, the third monitor must use a display port or an active display port adapter for a 3rd DVI monitor. I'm not sure on the Nvidia setup.

Bad Robot,

how do you get the 3 screens?. I use 2 for fsx & can not get in the 3rd I have.

Just like what Bass said, I got a GPU with a display port and used an active display-port-to-HDMI-adapter to plug-in the 3rd monitor. Actually I can get 5 monitors to work because when I installed my GPU, it automatically disabled my on-board graphics card (dual monitor). But when I manually enabled it back, I can still use it to plug in 2 more monitors. I ran 4 monitors before but I thought it's too much.. :) You might want to try it on your PC. There's no guarantee but you can try.

here it is.

The F8 on bootup gave the device priority, it showed my BENQ & booted the win8 in it & asked to install win8 which I had alook at it but do not remember the rest. In any case I do not want to ruin what I had. If that is the case I'll use EasyBCD to throw 8 out.

The option repair iwas same as I discribed before.
When you boot to an Install DVD, it takes you to the install page, but on the left, there is a "Repair my Computer" type option. That will put you in the Recovery environment which you need to work your situation. From there, try some of those options.

Edit: Just for info, which partition do you have Windows 8 installed to?

Last edited:
What make/model GPU are you using?

Bass fisher, I have these:

Asus P5K Premium WiFiiFi Intel, Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 95W 2.4GHz, OCZ Cpu Cooler, 2x2GB, 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 800 (400mhz) PC2-6400, EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX KO 512MB GDDR3 (PCI-E), Maxtor sata 160gb, OCZ 600W Game XStream Psu, X45, dulaboot XP/Win8

Saltgrass,

with win8 in drive it goes into the long proceedure as I said in my first post.

I had XP in "C" & presume that when installed win8 dualboot it it created parition " I ", see attached in post#15.

Here is " I " opened up:-

Last edited:
Bass fisher, I have these:

Asus P5K Premium WiFiiFi Intel, Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 95W 2.4GHz, OCZ Cpu Cooler, 2x2GB, 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 800 (400mhz) PC2-6400, EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX KO 512MB GDDR3 (PCI-E), Maxtor sata 160gb, OCZ 600W Game XStream Psu, X45, dulaboot XP/Win8

That is an SLI GPU you have there. You can't run 3 monitors with that alone but you can combine it with another SLI GPU to hook up more monitors.

Thanx, It,s an expensive busines, because it must be identical to the existing one, I cannot use my G-E Force 6600.

Thanx,

it looks very simple gadget, but will it work with the other screens or with FSX, & spread the cockpit around?

Does the mouse pointer crosses back & fro to the other screens?

BTW I just loaded win8 on one of my old boxes, connected the cable to the router but will not connect to the internet. Should't win find it on its own?

Thanx,

it looks very simple gadget, but will it work with the other screens or with FSX, & spread the cockpit around?

Does the mouse pointer crosses back & fro to the other screens?

Yes it works to extend your desktop. But since this is only USB, it has a bit low refresh rate and works best only on typical office applications and not for gaming or watching movies.

"......when you boot to an Install DVD, it takes you to the install page, but on the left, there is a "Repair my Computer" type option. That will put you in the Recovery environment which you need to work your situation. From there, try some of those options.

Edit: Just for info, which partition do you have Windows 8 installed to?........"

Hi Saltgrass,
I am not sure if I answered the above in your #23 post.

This win8 dvd opens a blue screen saying "Analyzing your PC", after a long time says "trying to repair PC" & after a longer time says that it can not be repaired, & gives the screen in first attachment below.

My only option is to select "use another OS" which gives me options w8 & XP, I select XP and boots like always did before & after the dualboot with w8.

In XP's win.explorer I can see all the win8 directories which I saved elswhere, so I don't loose some things. I think the IE Favourites & the downloads I did in win8 will be lost.

Now my big question to anybody here is, with no solution in sight to restore win8 as it was, if I reinstall w8 will it give me the option to dualboot as before or will it go and override my XP & all its directories & files??.

The system as is now, along with the w8 loss, gives a) a bib & CPU Fan error needing to press "F1" to continue, & b) is that misterious "no any drive"?? in the second attachment, but dispite those XP is booted and all's well.

Sorry about the attachments, will try again please them in next post below

Last edited:
Not sure what "bib" means exactly. But the CPU fan warning could be crucial.

When you are in XP, you might be able to see a file called BCD. It might be a hidden system file, but if you see it in the your C: partition root, could you attach it please.

Since we do not yet know if your problem is related to a boot problem or some other problem, I am limited in any such command I might give you since it could cause problems with your XP install.

I suppose in the last attachment, if you select Troubleshoot, Advanced Options, Automatic Repair it will put you back in the Repairing your computer scenario?

Edit: On the attachment showing no drives found, could you explain how your hard drive is connected to your system? Do you have an add-in controller?

Bib=bibbing, hooting, ringing, audible warning.

It is a mistery why w8 is lost & the repair behaves so, but at least I hoped sumbody else experienced similar & an would know what the consequences will be with an install attempt.

I guess I'll have to bite the bullet at the end.

Yes it goes to the same analyze & repair as explained earlier.

Your EDIT:- Yes directly to mobo but, you shook my memory to something I do regularly; I have two cables hanging out of the box to conveniently attach other HDs that I may want to see on next bootup.

It could be that I did this recently & now that the external HD is not there it is missed? I will attach one before next boot & see if it still says no drives.

Finally BCD
In win8's directory " I " many found in search as below, but do not show up in win explorer.
difficult to describe, please see attached.

I:\windowsWinSxS\AMD64_ms-windows-b.environment-dvd-efi ---------
I:\windows\boot\DVD\PCAT

[img=http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/716/s2ny.jpg]

It's really hard to suggest something about your situation because you are in dual boot. If it's just Win 8 in your system, you could just go ahead and hit repair without worrying about the other OS installed in your hard drive. I guess this just proved my point that doing a dual boot on a single hard drive with the main OS can really be a big headache. I wish you luck and I hope someone who commented here before who had years of experience with dual boot on a single hard drive will come back and help you out because I don't dual boot on a single drive. :)

Cheers!

CPU Fan error again a recent mistery, must be the censor gone & I think is buried in the mobo. But I monitor it continously in SpeedFan with CPU temp 16 to 23dC & HD 30dC.

The Not any drives comes when a HD is externally connected tto.

Last edited:
It's really hard to suggest something about your situation because you are in dual boot. If it's just Win 8 in your system, you could just go ahead and hit repair without worrying about the other OS installed in your hard drive. I guess this just proved my point that doing a dual boot on a single hard drive with the main OS can really be a big headache. I wish you luck and I hope someone who commented here before who had years of experience with dual boot on a single hard drive will come back and help you out because I don't dual boot on a single drive. :)

Cheers!

Thanks GoodRobot, I'll chance it & ask again in Windows 8 Blue Screen of Death (BSOD)

Finally BCD
In win8's directory " I " many found in search as below, but do not show up in win explorer.
difficult to describe, please see attached.
:) The request was to look in the C: directory from XP. The BCD file will be in the active directory, not the Windows 8 directory. It might be in a folder named Boot, but I do not have any MBR installs to check.

When you change the hard drives around, or remove or add one and reboot, the drive order might be reset in the bios. Since you only have one hard drive, I assume it has always been the first priority, but you might check. It seems to be booting OK to that one, but if another drive has been involved previously, it might be involved now.

Just checked in there but it does not exist.

Good news though, I closed my eyes & booted the w8 dvd & lo & behold I am back as before, lost nothing favourites or downloads, & am still dual booting the XP. I am so elated I can not believe my luck. As if nothing happened the last 5-6 days.

I owe a lot to you all who devoted so much of your time to feed all those ideas.

No doubt I will yet find things astray & will be back asking.

Thanks & Best Regards ........nick

PS. I chose "REFRESH YOUR PC" to do it.

Last edited:
Back