Windows 7 Window 7 64 bit freezing when streaming video e.g Youtube, PPTV etc

Vincent Kw Chan

So Recently, I've brought a new graphic card to upgrade my new CPU, new hard drive and window 7 64 bit SP1 to upgrade my computer.
I've installed everything..and when i started to browse youtube or watch any other video it starts to freeze (screen, mouse, audio, keyboard) and i waited it out for a few minutes and it goes back to normal. It didn't freeze when i try to play games. Also i've tried uninstalling adobe flash player but it didn't seem to work.. looked up on the forum for more info and tried most of the stuff but it didn't work.. like cleaning disk and disk defragment.. my ram seems to be fine, everything is up to date, so I have no idea what is going on.. could anyone give me advice and help me please

Edit:
System -
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: EP43-DS3L
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU [email protected] (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Page File: 1507MB used, 6680 MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Device -
Name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
Chip Type: GeForce GTX 550 Ti
DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC
Approx. Total Memory: 4064 MB
Current Display Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 Bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
Driver Version: 295.73
CUDA Cores: 192
Graphics clock: 900 MHz
Processor clock: 1800MHz
Memory clock: 2052 MHz (4104 MHz Data rate)
Memory Interface: 192-bit
Dedicated video memory: 1024 MB GDDR5

PS: I think It only freezes whenever I am downloading something like streaming youtube, or any other online video streaming I freeze using QVOD and PPTV. while watching those videos, whenever they're finished downloading It seems to be fine.

Last edited:
Some of your system specifics might help diagnose. Internet connection speed, network setup, browser being used. Is this only online videos or local ones also?

Do you have any other video programs on your system beside the built-in Windows ones?

Is there anything you can think of that might show something in common with the freezes? Does it freeze for the same amount of time during each occurrence? Does the Video format/quality make a difference?

There is a video performance trouble shooter in the Control Panel, with the other trouble shooters. Maybe it will tell you something. What Experience Index are you showing for your system, and break out the numbers separately so we can judge your system devices.

Some of your system specifics might help diagnose. Internet connection speed, network setup, browser being used. Is this only online videos or local ones also?

Do you have any other video programs on your system beside the built-in Windows ones?

Is there anything you can think of that might show something in common with the freezes? Does it freeze for the same amount of time during each occurrence? Does the Video format/quality make a difference?

There is a video performance trouble shooter in the Control Panel, with the other trouble shooters. Maybe it will tell you something. What Experience Index are you showing for your system, and break out the numbers separately so we can judge your system devices.

I Edited my post, Im not sure if those system specifics your looking for. About the Internet connection speed, network setup and browser being used, sorry, I'm not quite sure by what you mean.
I've tried to watch a movie with a DVD and It is completely fine, i've also checked the Control Panel/trouble shooters It didn't identify any problems. Yes, I think the problem is with the "downloading" process which leads to the freeze but Im not sure how I can fix it

I went on youtube and went full quality HD for a few minutes it was fine then it started to freeze i waited out for a bit and got a blue screen that says "Physical Memory dump...complete" what does this mean??

Do i need to invest in new RAMs??

It looks like we need to concentrate on your Network connection and how the streaming is delivered to your computer.

If you open Task Manager or Resource Monitor and watch the Networking tab, what bit rate are you getting and do you see any changes around the time of the freezes.

You network setup is -- (What type of broadband connection and router or modem/router, etc.)?

Have you updated your Network Adapter driver lately?

Have you called the ISP and asked them about the situation? I suppose if you had another computer, you could check the connection with it.

Any anti-virus installed and what type?

Any Messages about errors in the Event Viewer around the time of the freezes?

I always feel an x64 install needs more than 4 G of RAM, but I do not know if it would help this situation.

I'm using wireless router on my pc D-Link DWA-552 XtremeN Desktop Adapter and Network Adapters are up to date, and I don't have an anti-virus installed. Also I used Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test I'm getting 39ping, 3.28Mbps download speed, and 1.93Mbps upload speed.

network.png and i happened to froze again while streaming/watching video cpu.png

and What kind of RAM do you recommend for me, so I will get them later and try and see if it will fix the problem for me.

Last edited:
I don't really know what funshion is, except it is a video streaming service, but you do have quite a few fushionService.exe instances running. Maybe they are causing a conflict.

Your internet speed seems to be stable at 1 Mbps. Perhaps that is all it needs, but that isn't much for video streaming. If it is greatly compressed, perhaps the decompressing is causing the CPU to have problems.

The Network Speed tests don't always give you a good idea of your connection. It may show 3-4 Mbps but the sustained rate will probably be less. For instance, my speed test may show 30 Mbps, but the sustained rate is 10 Mbps. If the site you are streaming from is congested, it will also make a difference.

The type of RAM, if you go that way, will be determined by your Motherboard, and better quality or just more, may help. But I am not a memory expert, I just believe more memory in an x64 system is best.

If you knew of another user of the video streaming service, you might compare your download speeds and configurations.

Fushion is a Online Streaming video program, It freezes a lot when I start to download videos and play my videos at the same-time, but when I let it all download without playing videos at the same-time It doesn't freeze. There is a ton of FushionService.exe instances running, but even when I close that program and use Youtube the result is the same.

My Internet speed varies, and before I installed window 7 I was using Window Vista, everything was normal.

My modem/router is actually on the first floor and my pc is in 3rd floor, it uses wireless net adapter, do you think a Wireless Repeater would solve this problem? And would internet speed actually causes my whole system to freeze??

Recently I've just brought a 4G RAM and I installed it out to see if It would help, but when I got on youtube, my whole system froze again and screen went blacked out for a second and recovered, then popped up a warning sign saying my graphic card had stopped working and it had recovered. Also the time has reduced when it freezes, I'm not sure if it was because of that extra 4G ram that i installed.
Before I installed the 4G Ram it froze and I looked at the Resource Monitor which I have a SS Resource Monitor.png and After that I installed it, i went on youtube and froze so i took another SS Resource Monitor 8GB.png

I hope these SS will help you diagnosis my problem, thank you for the replies.

PS:I actually have an anti-virus program (Microsoft Security Essentials), not quite sure if this is one :p

Edited: I've experienced a freeze again.. when I was watching a video on Fushion and i wasn't downloading anything, so I have no idea what is going on now... I've upgraded most of my hardware, except the core/motherboard and power supply.. Would it be because of the Power supply?.. or maybe i need to change something in my BIOS Setting?? but I don't know what to do with those settings.

Last edited:
My Internet speed varies, and before I installed window 7 I was using Window Vista, everything was normal.

Do you remember what your connection speed was when using Vista? I notice your wireless signal is not showing all bars. You can still get a good network speed that way, but are you using both the n and g router channels?

My modem/router is actually on the first floor and my pc is in 3rd floor, it uses wireless net adapter, do you think a Wireless Repeater would solve this problem? And would internet speed actually causes my whole system to freeze??
If you wanted to check your situation, you could try using a wired connection, or moving your system down close to your router. Which way are the router antenna pointed and you might try adjusting that. If you are above the router, they may need to be set so you are looking at the long side (parallel to the ground).

PS:I actually have an anti-virus program (Microsoft Security Essentials), not quite sure if this is one :p
This should not be a problem, or at least I would not think it would be.

Could there be any interference with your signal? I know microwave ovens can wipe out a wireless signal. Sending the signal through such things a water or metal can attenuate it.

You may just have to keep watching your network connection and see if you can determine something in common with the freezes. It could be a codec problem, or something conflicting, but I do not think I will be able to tell from your attachments.

Do you remember what your connection speed was when using Vista? I notice your wireless signal is not showing all bars. You can still get a good network speed that way, but are you using both the n and g router channels?

If you wanted to check your situation, you could try using a wired connection, or moving your system down close to your router. Which way are the router antenna pointed and you might try adjusting that. If you are above the router, they may need to be set so you are looking at the long side (parallel to the ground).

This should not be a problem, or at least I would not think it would be.

Could there be any interference with your signal? I know microwave ovens can wipe out a wireless signal. Sending the signal through such things a water or metal can attenuate it.

You may just have to keep watching your network connection and see if you can determine something in common with the freezes. It could be a codec problem, or something conflicting, but I do not think I will be able to tell from your attachments.[/QUOTE

if you are getting 1mbps that is enough to get streamed, but not really enough to download and stream at the same time, on the wireless upstairs, which is getting considerably less streamed up to it. a clever way to increase that signal i found is to magnify the reception of your wireless receiver by attaching it to a cookie sheet or something like that to increase it's ability to gather the signal. i used a grod tray from my mini-toaster oven and a bag tie with a cable attaching the wireless receiver to the back of the computer and voila, kinda like a little radar dish, it improved my reception, might help you.
o by the way mic. sec essentials is great in my book, i use it, just need to update it manually, it updates sometimes more than daily. i use vlc media player, free and doesn't sprout many instances of itself, like the program you mentioned does

There's this one question I'd like to know is that, Is it possible for a computer to freeze (e.g Mouse, Keyboard, Screen) basically the whole system when I'm not having enough signals? and would a repeater or a better Antenna possibly work for me?

Im using a D-Link Xtreme N DWA-552 Desktop Adapter and D-LINK DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router 802.11G/B/N Wireless Router Triple Antenna QoS

I was playing games earlier and It froze me after that it went back to normal. Then I went on youtube and browsed and it froze again which then i waited out but it stops streaming like the "bar" that downloads the video.

I noticed something whenever it freezes, my CPU FAN starts to increases.

I'm kinda debating whether if I should get it to a computer store to check, but I want to know if it is just some minor issues. I was using vista, my connections were pretty decent but when I installed window 7 it just starts to freeze. I don't know the connection speed for when I had vista because I didn't even had any problems.

I think the only hardwares I didn't upgrade/replace with new ones are motherboard and power supply, sorry If i'm causing a lot of confusion but I know too little about computers. I really appreciate for your help Saltgrass and kurteb.

Edited: This is what I got after it resume from freezing for 1 minute or so display driver stopped working.png

Last edited:
A CPU fan increasing speed might means the processor is getting warm. Blowing additional air in the case might help. Are you certain it is the CPU and not the GPU fan. Mine increases when I play games, which it is supposed to do. But it could still be overheating.

If the video driver is having a problem, it might be heat, or a power supply. Looks like the video card requires a minimum of a 400 watt power supply, which would also depend on how much other power you needed for the rest of the system. A power supply is something that is easy to replace for testing.

Are you running any software on the system that is used to control fan speeds or other performance conditions?

Since it does not cost anything to eliminate your network as being involved in the problem, I would make sure I had taken those troubleshooting steps, an then go on to something else, like testing for a heat issue or a power supply.

Well I've brought the Graphic card not long ago, so I don't think its the GPU fan.

Today I've brought a new TX950W Corsair Power supply and a Belkin Powerline Adapter for the internet and I'm still getting freeze, basically i've changed all my hardwares except for the motherboard... could it be because of the intel core or something else? How do i check if my motherboard is dying? and Should I just try to reformat?

I think when I'm having too many programs going on it starts to freeze, my CPU usage increases to 100%

I really don't know what is going on with my PC, i hope i can get this fix somehow.

Last edited:
try not using wireless. i had a similiar problem with the same d-link dwa 552. problem went away when i disabled it and hooked up hardline internet via cat5. before disabling i tried updating drivers from d-link website and get blue screen errors. still not sure if its a driver issue or the actual wireless adapter but havent had a streaming movie or video freeze since disabling wireless.

try not using wireless. i had a similiar problem with the same d-link dwa 552. problem went away when i disabled it and hooked up hardline internet via cat5. before disabling i tried updating drivers from d-link website and get blue screen errors. still not sure if its a driver issue or the actual wireless adapter but havent had a streaming movie or video freeze since disabling wireless.

I can't my router is on the bottom floor connected to the cable and my pc is on the 3rd floor, it is really far for me to hook up hardline...

I'm still uncertain if it is the "wireless" that is causing freeze, I did not had that problem with vista before, now im using window 7.

I can't my router is on the bottom floor connected to the cable and my pc is on the 3rd floor, it is really far for me to hook up hardline...

I'm still uncertain if it is the "wireless" that is causing freeze, I did not had that problem with vista before, now im using window 7.

Your wireless connection seems to be your issue, as its connection speed is less than the speed downstairs. You could improve the connection like i did by attaching something to the wireless receiver to improve it's signal, i tried sticking mine on a cookie sheet, it acted like a dish and improved my wireless greatly.

Back