Windows 7 Window 7 not recognising all RAM??

panos726

Hi everyone.I installed Windows 7 a few days ago and I noticed that it only recognises 2gb of ram, while I have 3g.Can I fix this?

says 3 gig when i have 4 x.x . but i dont mind 3 gig is more then enough for any game right now or anything at all lol

Last edited:
yes,but it slows my games down since half of the ram is used in processes,so i have to close them before I play game!I guess there is no solution....

so when you right-click on "my computer" and select properties, it says you only have 2GB of RAM?

did you check how much RAM your BIOS is detecting?

yes it's 32bit.

I haven't checked what my BIOS is detecting now,although with vista it certainly detected 3gb.I will check now.

ok I checked.It shows 2gb....now what?

Last edited:
yes it's 32bit.

I haven't checked what my BIOS is detecting now,although with vista it certainly detected 3gb.I will check now.

ok I checked.It shows 2gb....now what?
check all your options in the BIOS unti it can detect all of your ram ;)

what mobo is it ?

does it have the latest BIOS ?

well...I don't know a lot of stuff about messing with BIOS.Could you please explain a little more?
well it's specific to your motherboard so would need to know what make and model it is , then find out the bios version, most newer boards provide a util for this ?

was this bought as ready built and if so any make or model ?

need more clues at this point but it's difficult even then to help if your not familiar with BIOS settings, and important to remember it's only an idea , don't mess if your not confident :frown:

Hi everyone.I installed Windows 7 a few days ago and I noticed that it only recognises 2gb of ram, while I have 3g.Can I fix this?

First of all, some system specs would be appreciated.. secondly you said you installed Windows 7 beta 32 Bit right? Well are you aware that 32 bit only recognizes "up to 4GB of ram"? And of this 4GB, the amount that is actually "useable and displayed" will vary from pc to pc depending on the hardware/software being used... just because it says that's what it will recognize doesn't mean that your actually going to "see" all of that and or be able to "use" all of that for your applications.. ;) There really isn't anything to "fix" as Windows is simply doing what it was programmed to do which is taking the other 1GB of ram and using it for other things.. like for example your video card.. sound card if you have one..software processes.. etc.. There is tons of information about this issue on this forum and other forums on the net, as well as articles upon articles about this.. I'd suggest reading up on it.. Also if you really want to be able to "use/see" all of your 3GB's than perhaps you should try using the 64 bit version of Win 7 Beta.. or the 64 bit version of Windows Vista. ;) 64 bit will allow you to "use/see" all the ram without any "issues"... ;)

And as Ickymay said, if your not confident messing around with Bios settings and OS installations than please DON'T! You'll only end doing more damage than good..

The following article explains the whole 32-bit and memory limitation thing pretty good:
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000811.html

You can also find many more articles like this if you google the issue.. Hope this helps clear this up a bit for ya. :)

Last edited:
Actually I had Windows Vista until few days ago when I installed 7.My pc was built like this.It recognized all my ram.And yes I know 32bit supports up to 3gb,that's how many I have,and they were working with vista.And it's not like it only shows 2gb.It actually recognizes and uses only 2gb,and it's obvious from my pc's decreased performance in specific games and in task manager etc....

Same issue

I'm an IT professional so I understand the whole 32/64 bit thing.

When I first installed Windows 7 one of my HDs was missing too but I was able to fix that.

This is the only thread I've found talking about missing memory though. I have 4 gigs installed and Windows 7 is only recognizing 2 gigs. Yes, all 4 were working in XP.
While this is enough for getting started, if any other wi7 users out there see this post and have figured out the problem, your help is def. appreciated.

- Charles

have you tested selecting - reset to safe settings - in the bios?

does seem strange that it detected 3 in xp but only 2 with win7 and your bios is also only detecting 2.
i know your not particularly technical but have you tried switching the ram around?

just trying to think of something that would make the bios take notice of the amount of ram installed on the system,
does win7 have more restrictions on the variety of ram installed in the system? (like issues with 2x1 + 2x512 ?)

have you guys tried getting a system rating or getting WEI to find a score for your computer. I know this makes almost no sense but when I first installed Windows 7, I was under Aero Basic and the OS was incredibly choppy until I ran it =S
Maybe it'll detect the other pieces of RAM
Also give the memory diagnostic utility a go and see what happens

I'm an IT professional so I understand the whole 32/64 bit thing.

When I first installed Windows 7 one of my HDs was missing too but I was able to fix that.

This is the only thread I've found talking about missing memory though. I have 4 gigs installed and Windows 7 is only recognizing 2 gigs. Yes, all 4 were working in XP.
While this is enough for getting started, if any other wi7 users out there see this post and have figured out the problem, your help is def. appreciated.

- Charles
Hi Charles.
I just installed Win7 x64 myself and have run into this problem as well. It has given me a fair amount of grief and I was starting to wonder if this version had been mis labelled as 64bit when in fact it might have been x32.
Anyhow it is x64. :)
I first installed it with 6gb as that's what I had with Vista x64 (2x2gb and 2x1gb AMD Phenom II 940) After I couldn't get 6gb to work I swapped out those Crucial Ballistix Tracers for some Team Xtreem 4x1gb. Now I have this problem that says 4gb is installed (correct) but system information says that "Installed Physical Memory" is 4.00gb. Under that entry is "Total Physical Memory" and this value says 3.00gb. :confused:
After a few days of pulling my hair out I looked at the resource monitor/memory tab and it has 4 entries and they are;
1. Available = 1959
2. Cached = 1390
3. Total = 3071
4. Installed = 4096
Above this is a bar graph and it says that 1025mb is for "Hardware Reserve" which states that it is reserved for bios, some drivers and peripherals.
I'm not really sure what's going on here but to me it looks like Microsoft has changed the way it reports memory. It's a strange thing to do but the only reasonable explanation that I can come up with.
One thing that does worry me however is that I have 2x 4870's installed, both cards are 512mb but that shouldn't be a problem with x64.
I hope that helps a little although I'm still not 100% satisfied.

BTW my Win7 build is 7077.

Sorry to hear your memory problems

I only have four gig of ram so maybe that helps . Really dont know why your having the problems with memory you have told us . Wish I could help .

Link Removed due to 404 Error

I only have four gig of ram so maybe that helps . Really dont know why your having the problems with memory you have told us . Wish I could help .

I'm also using 2x2gb yet my build doesn't report anything. There is something seriously wrong here.

Then my System Information page comes up wit this. Whatever it's supposed to mean??

Last edited:
I'm also using 2x2gb yet my build doesn't report anything. There is something seriously wrong here.

Then my System Information page comes up wit this. Whatever it's supposed to mean??

Sure there are people on here can help you cos I am foxed ?
There is something wrong but why . Could it be a bios problem .

1. Power down your PC.
  2. Locate a rocker-style switch at the back of your PC (if applicable), and switch it from the on position (I) to the off position (O).
  3. Find the 3-pin jumper near the battery, typically labeled "clear cmos" or "reset bios".
  4. Remove the jumper from the default position (typically connecting the 1st and 2nd pins).
  5. Replace the jumper to connect the 2nd and 3rd pins.
  6. Push the power button on the front of your PC once.
  7. Wait a minute.
  8. Return the jumper to its default position, connecting the 1st and 2nd pins.
  9. Move the rocker-style switch at the back of your PC (if applicable), to the on (I) position.
  10. Power on your PC with its front power button.
Make sure the power is turned off b4 trying the above

Last edited:
I don't think your getting it still.. ;) Just because when you look in your task manager (for example) and see that only 2GB is showing it doesn't mean the other 1GB isn't being used.. It IS.. just not for the same thing.. ;) I have a very well done article with graphs on my home pc that explains this whole RAM phenomenon.. When I get home from work I'll post the link to it on here.. :) After reading it I'm sure you'll all understand exactly what I'm trying to explain..

I apologize for not making it clearer..

As far as Vista showing you the whole 3GB as 'useable' and Win 7 not doing that, it doesn't mean there's anything wrong Win 7.. it could just be that Windows 7 has distributed the RAM a little differently based on your pc's hardware than Vista did and therefor your not seeing the other 1GB as 'useable' ram... Sorry, I'm not going to ramble on anymore, I'll just post the article when I get home.. :)

This isn't the one I have on my home pc but this one also does a good job explaining it:

http://blogs.msdn.com/hiltonl/archive/2007/04/13/the-3gb-not-4gb-ram-problem.aspx

And another good one:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Last edited:
Problem solved.

There was actually a problem with build 7077 as soon as I moved to the RC build 7100 I can now see all 8gb of my ram. Nothing changed on the system except the os.

@ Radenight. Memory remapping was enabled and it's not x32. Believe me I checked all of that.

Last edited:
Back