Windows 7 Window 98 access to Windows 7 files

goofus12000

I have a computer running Win98 SE which is part of a LAN with two Win 7 and two Win XP PCs. I can access the drives/files on the WIN98 PC from all the PCs in the net but I cannot access the drives/files on the WIN 7 PCs from the WIN98 PC. Access to the WIN XP PCs from WIN98 is no problem. I get the following error message when trying to access WIN 7 from WIN98 - "F:\ Is not acessible Access Denied" where (F:) is the desired drive on WIN 7.

Thanks John

Also you should make sure that you have defined access control to the Windows 7 machine shares under both the sharing tab as well as the security tab. Unlike Win98 and in some cases Win XP, (fat32 volumes) Win7 requires that you also define NTFS permissions.
Also to simplify things, make sure that you are using a UserName and PassWord on the Win98 machine and that that UserName and Password is present and identical on the Win7 machine.

Mike,
Thank you for your reply. Yes, all computers are on the same workgroup. I watched the video, but since it did not address Win98, it was not much help. However, I appreciate your input. Thank you again.

John

Randy,
Don't worry, your reply did not sound abrupt or discourteous in the least. First, I am not familiar with the term "defined access control" Can you briefly explain it. Second, I am not sure if the C: drive on the Win98 PC is NTFS or FAT32, I'll have to check. Third, yes, all computers on the net have the same user account names and passwords. Many thanks for your reply and again no disrepect detected.

John

The Win98 machine is fat or fat32, don't bother to check. However; the Windows 7 volume is NTFS and is subject to ntfs security permissions that you can define from within the properties of the individual shared folders by right clicking and choosing properties and then selecting the security tab. This supports a more granular approach to security and allows explicit permissions based on groups or individual users. You just need to remember that network shares are governed by both simple share permissions and ntfs security permissions and since they are automatically combined the most restrictive applies to an individual user either based on explicitly defined permissions or implicitly defined by the individuals membership in the various security groups.
This article may help explain in more detail
Link Removed - Invalid URL

There may also be additional considerations to be made regarding the higher level of security/encryption that Windows 7 uses as well as the more recent change to NTLMv2, both of which may need to be dumbed down to support accessing the Windows 7 machine from the Win98 machine. We can cross that bridge when we come to it.

Back