• Installation Guide for Existing PCs
  • Installation Guide for New PCs
  • User Quick Start Guide for Existing PCs
  • User Quick Start Guide for New PCs
  • End User License Agreement
  • Privacy Statement

Download Windows 10's November Build from Tech Bench

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a great link for those who are technically inclined. For anyone who is already on Windows 10 and may not want to wait for the roll-out through Windows Update, this is a great thread to start with.

hello! The new build appeared in my laptop yesterday...i started the download but it failed due to my connection i guess...now the upgrade disappeared from windows update..Any thoughts?

I was wondering, considering the link below, has Microsoft stated definitely yes or no that such future upgrades will require payment to receive?

Windows 10 November update: FAQ - Windows Help

The link may help answer some other questions about problems with the upgrade as well as pointing out the SD situation of having one installed causing problems.

Hey there! A Critical Update for Windows 10 just rolled out!

Windows 10 Tech Bench Upgrade Program Documentation
Includes:
  • 2 Tech Bench Scripts
  • Steps for Creating an installation USB stick
  • Installation Guide for Existing PCs
  • Installation Guide for New PCs
  • User Quick Start Guide for Existing PCs
  • User Quick Start Guide for New PCs
  • End User License Agreement
  • Privacy Statement

Microsoft has very quietly pulled the 1511 update
These downloads cannot be used to update Windows 10 PCs to the November update (Version 1511).
SOURCE: The media creation tool here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
I wonder what's up. Sure would be nice to know these kind of things in advance, when we're trying to help people.

Checking my default go to link https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
AND, I believe those have been changed also as the download names have been reverted back to
Win10_English_x64.iso and Win10_English_x32.iso
From
Win10_1511_English_x64.iso and Win10_1511_English_x32.iso

Microsoft has very quietly pulled the 1511 update

SOURCE: The media creation tool here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
I wonder what's up. Sure would be nice to know these kind of things in advance, when we're trying to help people.

Checking my default go to link https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
AND, I believe those have been changed also as the download names have been reverted back to
Win10_English_x64.iso and Win10_English_x32.iso
From
Win10_1511_English_x64.iso and Win10_1511_English_x32.iso
You're actually right. This is somewhat devastating as I just used this link, and NTLite, to create a custom profile for my new system, including with it, a Samsung 950 Pro m.2 SSD. This is actually disastrous for me, because for all this time, I have been downloading this ISO, actually quite a few times now... only to find...

Code:
C:\Users\mfara>systeminfo | findstr /B /C:"OS Name" /C:"OS Version"
OS Name:                   Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
OS Version:                10.0.10240 N/A Build 10240

Seriously???

You're actually right.
I hate it when that happens and my wife really hates it.

And then there's me..... who waited and waited for Threshold 2 (TH_2) to become available so I could finally bite the bullet and do a custom clean install. Which I of course did immediately.
Now I'm waiting to hear some official remarks from Microsoft to see if that was a good idea or not.
OR..... it's me back to my 10240 disk image.

I hate it when that happens and my wife really hates it.

And then there's me..... who waited and waited for Threshold 2 (TH_2) to become available so I could finally bite the bullet and do a custom clean install. Which I of course did immediately.
Now I'm waiting to hear some official remarks from Microsoft to see if that was a good idea or not.
OR..... it's me back to my 10240 disk image.

Well I refuse to use a brand new system I have been building, only to 'upgrade' to 1511 at a later time, so that is straight up ridiculous from Microsoft. I also intend to do a clean install and am wondering why they seem obsessed with making Windows Update their only distribution platform for this operating system. It is absolutely getting ridiculous.

Maybe wait till Monday.
The twitterverse is all aflutter with it but it is the weekend.
Nothing from Gabe nothing that I can find on the building windows blog, nothing in the insider hub.
It might just be a glitch and the resource pages have been reverted, but it does look deliberate, so if they are walking back their big (much touted) threshold update, they should have something official to say about what the hell is going on, I would think.

Well I have lost my direct channel to MS by not-updating-my-MVP-award-sort-of and, but even then I believe I wouldn't get much headway unless I decided to fly to Redmond again. I'd say definitely hold on a clean install of this build as well. This thing will be put into sleep mode if necessary ... lol

Not sure I like the "InsiderPreview" in the title of that ISO. Could you activate it without a key? Are you going to be an automatic insider if you install it?

Beside, I already have both the 32 and 64 bit versions of the ISO so it is of no concern to me.
I was just attempting to give everyone a heads up that the media creation tool is going to put you at 10240 and not 1511 10586.11 if it is used "now".... that might change, soon.... hopefully.

Good idea by Microsoft to do this at the weekend thus giving full weight to the 'rumour and speculation machine'... Ain't they nice.. :)

Someone on Reddit had updated 30+ machines to 1511 so he must be feeling very confident right now... as well as the tens of thousands, and, likely, millions of others who already have it on their system or had it distributed across their business networks. This is a great move by Microsoft. And now instead of some sort of official announcement we will wait for Gabe Aul to talk more about Windows 10 Mobile builds on Twitter until their telemetry data, perhaps, tells them, customers are furious.

News and a link to the iso download:
Microsoft recently released a major update for Windows 10, known as Version 1511 (Build 10586). Initially, this update could be installed either via Windows Update, or as an upgrade or clean install by using the new 1511/10586 ISOs MS provided through its Techbench or Media Creation Tool links. MS has now removed the 1511/10586 ISOs, reverting them back to build 10240 - the original Windows 10 RTM build. The reason for this sudden reversal is unclear. Ed Bottreports a Microsoft spokesman as saying this is a deliberate decision to make sure that installs of the 1511/10586 update are only through Windows Update; some users say they've been told by MS that 1511/10586 has been removed because it causes problems.

Update: A direct download link to the 1511/10586 Media Creation Tool is still available here for now.
Reference

Edit:
The download is also still available at MSDN for those with an account.

Last edited:
News and a link to the iso download:

Reference

Edit:
The download is also still available at MSDN for those with an account.

I can confirm that this link does (AT THIS POINT IN TIME) create a ISO for 1511/10586, however, at any given moment, since you're downloading the files from Microsoft, this may actually change. Its possible they left this file on one of their servers and forgot about it or something. But they might hot swap it out for RTM build again... so be careful. Check for a digital signature on setup.exe when you extract the ISO... should be signed October 29th, 2015.

Also.... I would suggest you back up the ISO at this point. Because...

"The November update was originally available via the MCT (Media Creation Tool), but the company decided that future installs should be through Windows Update. People can still download Windows 10 [Build 10240] using the MCT tool if they wish. The November update will be delivered via Windows Update.

Microsoft has not pulled the Windows 10 November 10 update. The company is rolling out the November update over time – if you don’t see it in Windows Update, you will see it soon."

No logic to this move but whatever. Fantastic.

Source: Microsoft explains disappearance of the Windows 10 November Update from Media tool

Back
Top Bottom