Windows 10 Windows 10/ Corrupt email attachements in Word, Excel, and Powerpoint

Rob Willis

After I upgraded to Windows 10 I was unable to open any attachments in word, excel or PowerPoint. this included old emails I had where I successfully opened word, excel and PowerPoint docs. I tried emailing Microsoft office help and never received a response, logged in using my Microsoft account and found not fixes. I have a Dell OptiPlex.

After 3 days of having a meltdown and using my Gmail web account to download said files into google docs, my IT guy found the solution. Hope this helps as I searched forums and Microsoft to no avail...

Here is what you need to do. (This applies to Excel, Word and PowerPoint also)

Go To Options under the File Tab

Click Trust Center then Trust Center Settings

Click Protected View then un-click the check boxes.

Open Word, open Settings and locate the Trust Center section. Click “Trust Center Settings” and locate the “Protected View” area and uncheck all options.

Attachments

• office2013.png
    office2013.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 476
My guess is the setting somehow reset, this is a common issue with Office 2010 and 2013

I had the same issue and fixed it by following steps:

Go-to the Control Panel -> Programs -> Programs and Features -> Right click on MS office suite -> Select Change -> Online repair -> Go -> Done

Back