Hi kemical ,thanks for your help !
After all these troubles went back to good "old" 1607-version again , so no pain/sweat anymore , still I know I have to do it all over some day , coz you have to stay upto date with Win10.
When I start all over again , I will let you know , but first need some more advice/info before running in these BSODs again..........
btw, do you know if its possible to upgrade on SSD with two HDDs build in , or should you the two HDDs pull out first ??

Ok I clean installed. It went well. Then while I installed my apps nothing acted weird so I guess I can say so far so good.

Switch off your PC , wait some time and let it cool down , then start again..........
Whats happening then ?

btw, do you know if its possible to upgrade on SSD with two HDDs build in , or should you the two HDDs pull out first
Sorry Bassie, missed your posts.

Are the two HDD's running in RAID?

AHCI ,at least UEFI-bios ,OS on SSD and two WD-HDDs , which I dont know if they are AHCI/RAID.
They are all in the taskbar-icon for safely removing !(?) I can switch a HDD off with this icon,but with next reboot all is switched on again.
Please, take a look in the taskbar right/under with safely-remove open, you will see all hardware .
I remember when installing first Win10-version, 1 year ago, I made a clean install with all switched on, 2HDDs and the SSD for OS. Maybe this is not possible anymore...........?!

Attachments

• HardCopy0001.jpg
    HardCopy0001.jpg
    392.2 KB · Views: 360
They are all in the taskbar-icon for safely removing !(?)
Hmm... As your running under AHCI, drives can be configured to be 'Hot swappable' which basically means they can be removed or inserted whilst the os is in operation. If you want this feature removed permanently then there should be a setting in the bios somewhere, possibly Storage or SATA sections? A motherboard manual around this time would be extremely useful..

Well, Im only searching for a solution of my BSOD-problem.
I like the cofiguration of this PC , its ASUS Z97-K and nVidia-card with32GB RAM, very fine machine , but I have to upgrade/fresh install it also.
What can be the reason , upgrade or fresh install , I got the same BSODs with the same errors , and only after a cold reboot.
It cant be installed software,coz after fresh install there is no software installed yet, the drivers are almost all installed by MS during the install.
I dont believe its hardware-failure, coz on 1607-version ( the OS Im using now! ) no problems at all !!
I have tested my RAM also, so only thing remaining is the CU-OS not yet ready for my machine,too early installed..............?
Other point is the fact its still no CBB but CB and not available with Win-Updates , if you know more let me know,please, coz I have to solve it ,before I have to try again........

" The colour of that text is almost painful.. wow. "

" The dark blue or the light blue? Or the purple? I usually use the lighter blue italicized on my quoted replies. Do you have a suggestion for a different color? BBJ "

bigbearjedi … i suspect kemical uses the black-theme here in windowsforum … that dark background tends to amplify certain hues of text. quite often, i also use the dark background … looks nice when *.png images display with transparent backgrounds. which is why i occasionally take extra effort with *.jpg images and remove their backgrounds … otherwise, the backgrounds of some images can look hideous. :D

then again … i work with images quite often at my work-place … be surprised with some of the stuff customers send in.

Hi Jack,
Thanks for your post! I've been using this exact post reply scheme (utilized light blue text) for 4 yrs. and no one said anything. Perhaps Ross made a recent change to his PC as you suggest. I'll wait for him to tell me what colors of any I can use that won't blind him. LOL.

Best,
Marc

Sent from my VS986 using Windows Forums mobile app

I like the cofiguration of this PC , its ASUS Z97-K and nVidia-card with32GB RAM, very fine machine , but I have to upgrade/fresh install it also.
What can be the reason , upgrade or fresh install , I got the same BSODs with the same errors , and only after a cold reboot.
It cant be installed software,coz after fresh install there is no software installed yet, the drivers are almost all installed by MS during the install.
I dont believe its hardware-failure, coz on 1607-version ( the OS Im using now! ) no problems at all !!
I have tested my RAM also, so only thing remaining is the CU-OS not yet ready for my machine,too early installed..............?
Other point is the fact its still no CBB but CB and not available with Win-Updates , if you know more let me know,please, coz I have to solve it ,before I have to try again........
I did help a chap the other day who was blue screening just on cold boots whilst using the CU but it turned out to be his RAM.

Try the CU again but only with 1 stick of RAM installed..

Hmm it's 3.36am which is perhaps why i don't understand the abbreviation here:
Other point is the fact its still no CBB but CB and not available with Win-Updates

Please advise..

hi again, Bassie:
Thanks for the additional information on your system, Mobo, RAM, and HDDs. I believe that you made a mistake that is quite common for home users, and that is you attempted the Update with additional external drives plugged in to your Mobo other than your bootdrive (C: drive).
This is definitely verboten-forbidden on OS updates, and any licensed Tech will tell you the same! :headache: Even if it's worked for you in the past on earlier versions of W10 or earlier versions of Windows, this is never a good idea! :noway:
Just as it's also never a good idea to perform an OS Update or Upgrade with ANY OTHER devices plugged into the Motherboard other than your GPU card. This includes all secondary storage devices (HDD, RAID, NAS, SAN, etc.), eSATA, Firewire, and other USB devices such as printers, scanners, WACOM tablets, webcams, etc. etc.
We've seen this problem going all the way back to Win2k and earlier with Windows, and that's why professionals are aware of this. Most Home Users don't read the fine print, but the Microsoft Windows license and install docs actually tell you this, but it's in itty-bitty fine print.

With the crush of all the people we are helping with W10 CU issues, I guess I didn't ask you specifically for all your HW specs; but, maybe I did or one of the other fine fellows helping you here did, but I'm just now noticing this reading the latest posts back from you--my bad!!:redface:

In any case, if you are looking for a culprit for why BSODs are randomly occurring on your machine after the first attempt at the v1703 CU Update--this would be an excellent candidate!!:green: So, before you throw in the towel on updating your computer to the CU version; try my advice here. Physically disconnect and or remove both those WD external drives from your machine (take them out of the case!), and unplug ALL devices that plug in to your ASUS Mobo as mentioned; storage devices, printers, scanners, webcams, etc. Attempt to run the Update on your SSD drive (the Samsung), and see if it continues to BSOD. Like you said, your hardware works perfectly on v1607, so lets see what it does without all the peripherals and secondary external storage devices removed. Hopefully, it works better!:fdance:

If not, at least we've removed this very common problem from the mix, and the real problem lies elsewhere, possibly with Mobo drivers, or GPU card drivers, and the dumps submitted will help kemical and others try to track down the problem. I forget, did you remember to visit the ASUS website and download all the BIOS and CHIPSET drivers for that Mobo and install them?? If not, you may need to do that in order for that Mobo to run v1703 CU version. We've seen very similar problems with earlier W10 builds as I've mentioned.

Give it a try when you can and keep us posted! You're story is now turning into a Journey of computer exploration.:hide:

Best,
<<<<BBJ>>>>

Thanks for your advice !
I will try this out ,everything unplugged ,will remove/uninstall incompatible software/drivers ,will switch off some services (Acronis,ESET,etc.),nVidia updaten with latest drivers, uninstall my Realtek-drivers ( in my last attempt to upgrade,these drivers were wiped out by 1703 !), and will upgrade with my MS-acount logged in (so no local acount,which I always use ).Only internet-modem will stay,so MS can update some drivers ,after the upgrade , I will upgrade ,no new install.( upgrade or new install,they both gave the same BSODs ,with the same errors !)
If you know some more things I have to set before the upgrade , let me know ,please,coz it must be good this time !
btw, I dont think my memory is bad,coz it does not gave me problems in the past ( Win7 and Win10 1607 ).
Will wait for further ideas/advice,before making " the jump " again............

To be honest without seeing any dump files I'm hard pressed to advise further re' the BSOD.

The sooner you can post any dump files the better really.

As to whther this linked to the CU update I'm unsure but i'd steer clear of it for now..

Yes, will switch my ESET-internet security off !
Another important question remains ; why is this update/upgrade STILL NOT AVAILABLE with the Windows-update ,on the PC ???
Could it be ; coz its not ( yet ) finished/ready for the public to install.............??
If so , I think its better to wait , MS may still chance some items in the upgrade, for making it more compatible for everyone.

Another important question remains ; why is this update/upgrade STILL NOT AVAILABLE with the Windows-update ,on the PC

according to Microsoft the Creator's update is being rolled out 'Progressively' and it might be that it's simply not got to you yet.

You can bypass the update and download the iso directly using the Update assistant:
Download Windows 10

As long as your data is backed up this is a far superior install route as opposed to an 'upgrade'.

according to Microsoft the Creator's update is being rolled out 'Progressively' and it might be that it's simply not got to you yet.

You can bypass the update and download the iso directly using the Update assistant:
Download Windows 10

As long as your data is backed up this is a far superior install route as opposed to an 'upgrade'.
This is exactly how I did mine yesterday. So far I'm very happy with the results.

Yes, will switch my ESET-internet security off !
Another important question remains ; why is this update/upgrade STILL NOT AVAILABLE with the Windows-update ,on the PC ???
Could it be ; coz its not ( yet ) finished/ready for the public to install.............??
If so , I think its better to wait , MS may still chance some items in the upgrade, for making it more compatible for everyone.
This has never been an option in Windows Update. It's in Settings - Update and Security - Recovery. At least that's where the clean install option is anyway.

Update: Maybe I shouldn't have said anything about Windows Update. Actually I've never waited for it to be offered. I've always been an early adopter.

Last edited:
Well, tried again ,no luck still this BSOD,only after cold reboot( wait for about 30minutes,PC off) ,then BSOD with message; Driver IRQL not LESS OR EQUAL. Then PC reboots into Windows.
I have some files , maybe you can find solution.
I did everything , just see my previous posts, it just does not matter, I keep getting this BSOD with message. !!
Help,please, tried all...........

Attachments

• SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip
    229.4 KB · Views: 298
Unfortunately no dump file is included with the zip. Where did you get the files from? Sysnative?

Try running the application found here in this sticky, remember to right click and run as admin:
How to ask for help with a BSOD problem

As you did with the other files zip the contents and post.

If no dump files are present then this can be attributed to one of three things:

Incorrect dump file creation settings:
If there doesn't appear to be any dump files then you'll need to change your settings so that they're created when the machine bsods.
Open the run application.
Type sysdm.cpl in the run box and click ok.
Look across the top of the system properties box for 'Advanced' and click that.
Look for 'Startup and Recovery' near the bottom and click 'settings'.
Near the bottom you'll see a drop down menu under the heading 'write debugging information'.
In the drop down menu choose ' small memory dump (256KB)'
Under 'small dump directory' make sure it says %SystemRoot%\Minidump.
Click ok and your good to go.

Pagefile is disabled
If the pagefile is missing then then again this will interrupt dump file creation.
How to Enable Page File In Windows | Techwalla.com

HDD issues
If the C drive has any problems this can affect dump file creation. Run a chkdsk /r command in an admin command prompt.

Bassie i'm also going to create a thread for you in the bsod section.

All new posts relating to Bassie's issue are to be posted here:
Windows 10 Creators Update BSOD on cold boot.

Last edited:
Back