This may have been posted already, but, for those unaware. The program which I downloaded, had a "setup.exe". If you run this from the media (DVD or whatever) you will be asked if you want to choose an upgrade or a clean install. I have tried both - successfully, on several different ages and model computers.

This may have been posted already, but, for those unaware. The program which I downloaded, had a "setup.exe". If you run this from the media (DVD or whatever) you will be asked if you want to choose an upgrade or a clean install. I have tried both - successfully, on several different ages and model computers.
Morning David,
I guess you mean the upgrade assistant, which as you say will allow you to download upgrade versions as well as the ISO.

Like you I've never really had an issue although i almost exclusively use the clean install method and have done for years.

When I first upgraded I used the Upgrade Assistant and it came out fine. Then I tried to apply a darker theme from Deviant Art and lost my icons. I couldn't do anything. So I did the Windows reset and got it back. After that it started running badly. So I downloaded the ISO, burned it to disk and installed that. Now it's all good. Thanks for the link #kemical. :up:

Always the best way to go,Pal. Downside is you need to reinstall all of your software. That even has an upside - Nice and clean. I found, also that I got better and better at eliminating some of those darned questions and answers after the initial install.

The problem lies with the upgrade, particularly if the user has been applying some of the carious published Reg hacks etc. The upgrade doesn't seem to be able differentiate, and throws up errors. Certainly, though, the upgrade is the best way to go for the common user, who probably doesn't even know what a Windows forum is and so hasn't applied the hacks.

Indeed ! All your settings ( context-menu etc. !) are gone after the upgrade, very dissapointing I must say ...........

I'm a little late to this party since I missed an entire week the 2nd week of April when the darn update came out (Tue. Apr. 11th). This post is for all having difficulties with the CU update, not just Bassie here. I have a Tech friend who is working with me on creating and disseminating documents about how to get the CU update through Windows Update (WU) mechanism built into W10. We've had quite a few discussions about why there is no problem with this Update, as there has been with Microsoft updates for nearly 3 years now. He is a new Board member at my local computer club. He wants people to be able to get the CU update and is creating a document to tell them how to get it, or force their computer to get it. He insists that there is no problem with the update itself and when I mention there are, Bassie you are a perfect example here, it fails to work. Repeatedly. He also tells me that he's contacted his daughter-in-law who is an Executive at Microsoft about this issue, and of course she defended the Update telling him to tell me that it's perfect 100% of the time! Bah, humbug! Not so, I'm afraid!:noway:

He upgraded all 4 of his laptops (3 Dell + 1 Samsung) with very few problems, but all 4 updated. He wanted to publish this document into our Club newsletter and on our website, and I said no. He went over my head to our Club President and a pissing contest ensued. My favorite part of this was the discussion about W10 Home not having the ability to disable or defer Updates coming into people's computers. In v1607 and earlier I only found out about that in Jan. 2017 this year. So Microsoft had only provided for users of W10 Pro versions who paid the premium bucks to achieve control over updates coming into their computers, disable capability and reschedule of random restarts that are update related. This whole thing exploded yesterday, and I insisted that he revise the document with several warnings and cautions about doing the Update in the first place; primarily the warning to Users that they must backup all their personal data from the computer that's about to be Updated to external media. Most of you familiar with my Posts see me put that into Posts all the time and it's prominent in my TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE here.

What I found interesting on the plus side for the CU update is that when I attempted run the Update on my main desktop PC I use regularly, was that it completed without damaging my existing setup or producing odd quirks as done by v1607 and earlier updates. It went through very nicely in 2 hours. This is a first for any W10 version I've been using since 2014! However, when I attempted it on one of my Test machines that was running W10 Home, the CU update has failed every single time. This computer is a desktop that will be 10 years old this year and has had W7, W8.1, and W10 v1607 on it, and each time an upgrade was run with success. Soon as it attempted to upgrade to the CU v1703 version it failed-repeatedly! My friend in our discussion said I was doing something wrong, and that on some of his machines he had to repeat the Update attempt up to 3 times. I said I had done that at least 4 times. I'm am now trying a 5th time and of course expect the same failed result. He made some other lame arguments about why this document is important to let users who are getting notifications of W10 CU updates on their computers know that they can disable or delay the update from occurring. And that according to his information from Microsoft, over 400 million computers have been upgraded without incident! That's a statement I don't believe in any way shape or form, since we have hundreds of people posting here for help with the issue of failed or scrambled computers due to this very same update!! Not to mention, out of the 2 computers I tried to update; only 1 of 2 succeeded.:headache: That's only a 50% success rate in my book. I have 8 other W10 machines to try the update on, which I will do over the next several weeks-stay tuned for that result. I certainly don't expect it to be 100%, and I am trying to get my friend to add a disclaimer in the document that this update is not guaranteed to work 100% of the time on 100% of all computers attempted. We'll see if I can get that done as well. You can see the flaw in his logic; just because he was able to update his 4 computers without problem he's telling us that Microsoft also says that have records of 400 Million successful W10 updates done. Arghhh!:earoff:

I am also trying to put something in about the fact that the reason we are strongly urging users to backup all their data prior to letting the update into their computers and be installed, is just the facts that we have lots of evidence telling us that this update is better and works on some computers than earlier updates, but certainly is not 100% and scrambled computers abound; as are seen here on WF and other tech forums I'm on with a daily occurrence.

So, as before, the takeaway from this is that I personally am still recommending to all my Customers that there are flaws in the CU update, that it is NOT 100% perfect, and further I recommend that they wait to do the Update, and if and when they do decide to do it, they should either attempt it via Clean Install via the MCT tool from Microsoft, or pay a licensed Tech to do it for them.

This is just one part of the discussion involving the CU update, the other part being that many Users are complaining about the fact that the Updates are coming into their computers without their knowledge or permission. This blocking of the Microsoft updates is improved in the v1703 version, but still has lots of problems. Time will tell whether the "blocking" is effective or not. It certainly hasn't been since the W10 RTM release back on July 29th 2015. According to my friend the Update will cause your computer to download and install the Update even without your persmission, and there's nothing you can do about it. Many Users are quite upset by this, and we've already had lots of discussion on this on other W10 upgrade threads.

We may never get to the bottom of your BSODs on that machine Bassie; but we will need your dumps to try and figure it out. In the meantime do you have another computer you can try the Update on? Lastly, it's possible that the hardware you have may never work with this CU update, or it may take several months for all the drivers used from Asus, and others to catch up with this update and it may all work with your existing hardware down the road. We're telling you not to bet the farm on this, as we have many folks who gave up and threw in the towel last year in August when the AU (Anniversary Update v1607) came out and their hardware would BSOD or Black Screen no matter how many BIOS, CHIPSET, driver updates they did.:waah: They usually bought a new Mobo which in a self-built PC usually means you have to upgrade everything else; RAM, HDD, PSU, Case, etc. You should consider this possibility.:andwhat:

Best,
<<<<BBJ>>>

Last edited:
Indeed ! All your settings ( context-menu etc. !) are gone after the upgrade, very dissapointing I must say ...........

Yes it is a pain to have to install all of your apps and settings again but the end result is awesome. It's definitely worth it.

Last edited:
It's because they're not really upgrades but completely new builds of Windows.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Windows Forums mobile app
To be a little fair to MS (getting more and more difficult), I always leave my wife's machine to do its thing -no interference, no mods..etc.. The creators update hit her late in the evening. I left the machine to do its own thing, and, in the morning, after a reboot, there sat the Creators update with all her programs and settings unchanged. I must have a computer guardian angel sitting watching over me.

To be a little fair to MS (getting more and more difficult), I always leave my wife's machine to do its thing -no interference, no mods..etc.. The creators update hit her late in the evening. I left the machine to do its own thing, and, in the morning, after a reboot, there sat the Creators update with all her programs and settings unchanged. I must have a computer guardian angel sitting watching over me.
It's the no mods that did it. haven't used mods for awhile. All they do is cause headaches.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Windows Forums mobile app

Last edited:
So just to report back, I just reverted back to Windows 10 Anniversary Edition, build 14393, and everything just works perfectly now.
No "Restart to finish installing updates" messages.
No invisible Microsoft Edge MMB scroll origin indicator problem.
And especially, no ultra-lagging in video games.
I was so bloody (not British here!) surprised, when even AC4 Black Flag started to lag this morning, even though I could easily play it a year ago. So, that finally compelled me to go back to my favorite build, 14393. I am going to go for the Creators Update again, once some time has passed, and everything functions as intended to. Oh, and video games perform perfectly again, now.
Thanks for all your help, guys!
Also, I'm looking for a new -budget gaming PC that should be able to run most upcoming titles at low-mid settings. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Remember, my wallet it super-bottlenecked now, thanks to my studies :D

" my favorite build, 14393. I am going to go for the Creators Update again, once some time has passed, and everything functions as intended to. " .................agree, after two weeks of severe headache !
14393 is awsome.......:)

" Your hoping to avoid a clean install? Why? I know your an intelligent chap so there has to be a good reason? The upgrade process is, to want for a better word... Shite. IMO of course.. I avoid it at all costs and have trouble free install.."

actually … the reason is not so complicated, kemical … the adobe (cs4) software i have was obtained through a contact in thê pĭrătê băy. it was designed for win-xp (32bit) at the time … and, so far, i been lucky enough to keep the tradition going with win-8(64bit) through latest win-10. that said, will try as upgrade … and, if it fails, will try other methods.

same for my onetouch-8100 flatbed … she sports a win-xp driver … and, of course, visioneer didn't update the drivers for that particular model. with win-8(oem) and subsequent 8.1(upgrade), i successfully circumvented the hurdles with driver from a newer model scanner … but, win-10 wanted no part of it.

so, kemical, while flatbed scanners can be had cheaply … not so when it comes to adobe's giant ego [$50usd @month sneaks in their exorbitant ten-year $6000 price tag].

fwiw … also had one or two registry modifications that i probably should return to their original state … before welcoming win10-cu.

edit:
on side note … win-10 from win-8.1 was upgrade and so was win10-au … neither was clean install. and everyone was ranting about the nefarious devils hiding inside those upgrades. :cool: be at peace … this lap-top is starting on her fifth year.

Last edited:
I guess I'm a joke - I actually liked Windows 8

So did I, davehc.:)

In fact, to this day, Windows 8.1, Update 1 has the best power management of any Windows OS I've ran & still have it installed on two computers (both clean installs w/Media Center COA added).

Don't want to stray away from the Topic on hand, while the Windows 10 Creator's Update went well for me on several installs, by placing the ISO from a USB stick into the Documents folder, then after safely ejecting, selected Mount, and the show was on. Took much less time to upgrade 6 six installs this way versus a manual download for each, will clean install a few, other than a couple.

The only issue was with one PC, an 11 year old Dell Optiplex 740 that was a pure miracle than the initial release of W10 ran on. After all of these releases, maybe the Creator's Update required a new instruction set from the CPU (although should have had a warning), or the old hardware & drivers were too much to overcome. I'll try a clean install to be double sure, one of the major issues is having to run a 10 year old Broadcom NetXtreme 58xx Gigabit driver with every upgrade, all would break the connection until I installed the driver in Vista mode.:(

However, note that this is just a playtoy, I build my own PC's & those for others, my best build so far is in my sig, have another with the little brother to the i7-4790K (the only two Devil's Canyon CPU's), both runs W10 great.:D

While some may have found the Creator's Update useful, maybe some useful apps, for me, was simply another upgrade for long term support of the OS, there was nothing new that I jumped for joy over. Although (if true) one of the requirements of the advertised features I've yet to purchase, a 4K monitor. Looking at the Creator's Update page prior to upgrade, one can go on down & see specs of being for a 4K World, my only issue is that these monitors with GSync are costly, while one can get models for AMD cards (FreeSync) for as little as $300 on promo. One cannot get a 4K monitor on promo for NVIDIA cards for double that, is closer to $700-800, and these are the entry level models. So hopefully the newer 8K monitors (Dell recently released one) will drive 4K prices down do that the masses can enjoy the technology w/out compromise.

Hopefully many who has these monitors seen the advertised benefits of the Creator's Update, it's about time it happened, now if only we can get pricing to drop, as well as the Displayport 1.4 spec for the max Hz for viewing. That's the one biggie of DP over HDMI on 4K, DP 1.2 or higher can allow one to enjoy 60Hz viewing, while those with HDMI are restricted to 30Hz, which is a big deal & why most all modern GPU's features multiple DP outputs.:D

So for those who can, enjoy the show, that was the most promising spec of the Creator's Update, in my eyes. Maybe in just another year, I can also get in on the action.:)

Cat

"

While some may have found the Creator's Update useful, maybe some useful apps, for me, was simply another upgrade for long term support of the OS, there was nothing new that I jumped for joy over"

I am also skeptical on that one. I still have the Anniversary installed on an old Laptop. I know my way around computers and, frankly, with meaning to be cynical, I can not see any mind shattering differences between it and the latest. When you chew over Microsoft's promises, they have kept them. No more OSs, just continuous updates. I woiuld suggest they have stuck to that. Their problem is their blurb, particularly on the insider program. Reading there, one gets the impression that outstanding things are coming our way!

. When you chew over Microsoft's promises, they have kept them. No more OSs, just continuous updates. I woiuld suggest they have stuck to that.

I don't believe that Windows 10 is the end of the road for for the brand for a minute. Word has it that come 2020, there'll be another new OS in Windows Cloud, actually these rumors began before 10 was released in 2015.

Which may be fine & dandy, although I'd not touch it until a upgraded version is released, Thing of that will be, Google will be an entire decade ahead when it comes to Cloud Tech, as Chromebooks has been on the market for some time.:)

This would be a brand new era for Microsoft, to rebuild their OS from total scratch, so there'll no backwards compatibilities to contend with.

Cat

Thinking of skipping this " Creators-upgrade " and go for Redstone 3 in September.............

Back