Windows 10 Windows 10 homegroup not working

hww1955

I have three computers, all running Windows 10. None of them can connect to the main computer using homegroup. When the other computers try to connect they get a message about logging with a password and ID. This never happened with Windows 7 or Windows 8 ... I have a feeling that this is being caused by some "fix" to help make homegroup more secure. But all it did was break it.

Over 300 views, but no response. I wonder ... I wish we could install Windows 10 as a super admin, meaning that we have instant access to all drives, all files, and no need for any kind of prompt. This could be called, Windows 10 Pro for Home users. I can see the advantage of limiting access in a place of business, but not on a computer that is only being used at home.

Over 300 views, but no response.
Not much info to go on?
  • Windows 7 and 8 use different homegroup settings to what 8.1 and 10... the avarage user is happy with music, v-machines resources and file shares so doesn't need to know/ care
  • Homegroup id is your Microsoft account and thats basicly sign in and trust this new machine before we turn the homegroup shares on... its in 'accounts' which is in "settings"
  • Actually there is a super admin built in... it's called "trusted installer" or "system" and allows Microsoft to do all kinds of cool stuff to the machine so your wish has been granted!

That sucks. I would prefer it to behave like it did before. Actually I wish I as the owner of a computer didn't have to have "permission" to access my own directories and files. This is overkill for the home computer user.

Not much info to go on?
  • Homegroup id is your Microsoft account and thats basicly sign in and trust this new machine before we turn the homegroup shares on... its in 'accounts' which is in "settings"
  • Actually there is a super admin built in... it's called "trusted installer" or "system" and allows Microsoft to do all kinds of cool stuff to the machine so your wish has been granted!
The homegroup password that appears in Windows 7 and 8.1 is the same as the Microsoft ID? I didn't know that. You mean the password for your Microsoft account for the store?

If you have a home wlan, isn't that enough to share files between PCs in the wlan or do you also need to set up a common homegroup?

I assume the "super admin built in... it's called "trusted installer" or "system"" can do whatever it wants irrespective of the privacy settings. Correct or not?

The homegroup password that appears in Windows 7 and 8.1 is the same as the Microsoft ID? I didn't know that. You mean the password for your Microsoft account for the store?
Not quite the homegroup password is whatever you set it to but the account that controls the homegroup on a network is the Microsoft ID.

A system with a Microsoft account has the home group turned off by default on a new computer and it will remain off until the user signs in (to the computer) using his or her Microsoft id and then tells the computer to turn the homegroup setting that they like on

Yes the Microsoft id is the same one used by the Microsoft store... they are all linked.

If you have a home wlan, isn't that enough to share files between PCs in the wlan or do you also need to set up a common homegroup?

You can in deed share folders across a lnet (assumes the same workgroup or subnet) and that remains a convenient way to pass files between your different system at home or work but a homegroup is a special type of share with more options eg, music streaming and permissions that require a different level of security to be safe.

I assume the "super admin built in... it's called "trusted installer" or "system"" can do whatever it wants irrespective of the privacy settings. Correct or not?
Correct... did you know there are folders on a Windows 10 system that you as the owner of that computer don't have the legal right to look at... nevermind change (under US law)?

I didn't know.

Are there ways to look into these hidden folders? Maybe booting into Linux?

That doesn't inspire confidence. Is this new to Windows 10, or is it also true of earlier versions?

Sorry for the late reply, but the problem seems to be on my main PC. I am running Windows 10 Pro, and the laptop is running Windows 10 Home. When I run homegroup, I can't see his computer. But, when I go to the Network, then I see it and can access the shared files. But the reverse is not true. I am asked to sign in. I never had to do this with Windows 7 or Windows 8. I have signed into Windows on both using separate Microsoft accounts. One is at live.com the other is at msn.com

If the laptop is wireless then you prob just need to turn on discovery?
Screenshot (31).png

it's in {settings... networks... advanced... wifi}
Screenshot (30).png

I have three computers, all running Windows 10. None of them can connect to the main computer using homegroup. When the other computers try to connect they get a message about logging with a password and ID. This never happened with Windows 7 or Windows 8 ... I have a feeling that this is being caused by some "fix" to help make homegroup more secure. But all it did was break it.
I have been unable to establish a homegroup but I found I can share USB and network printers. Be sure sharing is turned on in printer properties for USB printers and that you have entered credentials for your computers so they show up when looking at network connections.

I copied this from a link but cannot share that link since I am a new user.

"Yes it is possible to share a USB connected printer without homegroups in Windows 10.

On the host PC with the printer, under Device and Printers in Control Panel, right click the printer you want to share, select See what's printing, Select Printer from the menu, select sharing or share this printer, enable the checkbox that reads share this printer.

The thing is that the Sharing tab in the printer properties only shows up for me if I go through the "whats printing" window, and the sharing tab doesn't show up if I right-click properties from the device and printers window."

Just letting you know taht by doing a clean install of Windows 10 Pro, and without installing any other software, the issue I had with Windows Homegroup is now fixed.

Just letting you know taht by doing a clean install of Windows 10 Pro, and without installing any other software, the issue I had with Windows Homegroup is now fixed.
I merged the above post with this thread as both are related.

I'm not sure this has helped me. Did we lose the homegroup in the switch from 8.1 to 10? On the other hand it must exist as my network and sharing page says that a homegroup is "Available to join". But I don't have the password, and I'm the administrator! What steps do I need to take?

The homegroup password is whatever you set it to on the controlling computer... So the windows 8.1... Log into that system and the homegroup password Will be displayed there

On the Windows 10 machine you're going to sign in as the Microsoft I'd and the password for the homegroup is set by the other systems so log into them to get it

There are two machines on the network. Both were 8.1 and migrated to 10. Both machines say a homegroup is available to join. But I can't get them joined as I can't find anything regarding a password. When both were running 8.1 we had no problem. So I can't see how to join the homegroup nor create a new one.

Both machines say a homegroup is available to join. But I can't get them joined as I can't find anything regarding a password.
  1. You have not done a fresh install of WX and some of the old W8.1 setting are still there or you have (hyper-v / vmware) V-machines on those systems that were in the homegroup?
  2. You changed the login Microsoft id or are still using a local/ admin account to sign in for some reasion or other?
Are these two machines machines on the same workgroup/ ip range as each other like before i.e they still keep the same ip address as they had before and you didn't change their system names when you installed the WX upgrade?

1. You have not done a fresh install of WX and some of the old W8.1 setting are still there or you have (hyper-v / vmware) V-machines on those systems that were in the homegroup?
  2. You changed the login Microsoft id or are still using a local/ admin account to sign in for some reasion or other?
Are these two machines machines on the same workgroup/ ip range as each other like before i.e they still keep the same ip address as they had before and you didn't change their system names when you installed the WX upgrade?

Don't understand question 1. Question 2. NO, still using the existing MS accounts. No changes were made after the W10 upgrade.

Back