Windows 10 installation question

LunaticGamer06

I am not sure how this works but I have a serious question regarding the free upgrade. I bought a Sony Vaio back in 2012 when it was brand new. In 2014 the HDD gave out and I recently was given a brand new one (HDD) by a friend who bought the wrong one for his laptop but it fit in mine. I had Windows 7 Home Premium on my Vaio. I wish to install Windows 10 Home Premium to the Vaio, to upgrade to the Windows 10 platform which I rather like. Also I need an OS to get the laptop working again. Would I be able to use the free upgrade since I had Win 7 on my laptop before or would i have to pay to get the OS on my new hard drive? Not exactly sure in this situation. All I know is I have until July 29, 2016 before the free upgrade is no more. Any advice and help would be appreciated.

Neemobeer

Windows Forum Team
Staff member
As long as you still have access the Windows 7 key, you can use the media creation tool for Windows 10 Windows 10 Install Windows 10 and enter the Windows 7 key to activate it.

LunaticGamer06

As long as you still have access the Windows 7 key, you can use the media creation tool for Windows 10. Install Windows 10 and enter the Windows 7 key to activate it.
If it were only that easy. Installation keeps stopping at 72% saying it can't be installed. Everything meets the minimum specs. HDD is brand new. Thumb drive is still good, just it won't install on the laptop. Only time I ever had that issue on that I used a desktop to circumvent it but that option is gone. Bought a rose will power supply through newegg and every time they try to transfer me to the warranty department I get hung up on. And it is under warranty.