Windows 10 Windows 10 login password incorrect

GH3Scot

I have 2 accounts on my laptop. Earlier today I received a malware message saying my account had been compromised. I ran Norton Full Scan and Eraser no issues found. When logged in under the non-Admin account and prompted to supply the admin user password this is accepted - however when try to login to the Admin user account get message saying this password is incorrect - help!

Hi

Go to the Microsoft login page in your browser.

Sign in to your account

Enter the email address that you use for your Microsoft account and then try the password that you normally use.
If that doesn't work select the "Can't access your account" button.

It will lead you through how to reset your password.

It's a good idea to change it once in a while anyway.

Mike

Thanks - but we login to Windows via local accounts not Microsoft. Unfortunately the local account that we cannot access happens to be the Admin account - while I can run certain admin functions from the other account using the Admin password, it just keeps saying incorrect password when trying to login on the Admin account - very frustrating.

Awesome! Sounds like your virus wiped out your Admin account (Microsoft Account Login) or locked it or both.:waah: Can you tell us the Make/Model of the computer you are having this problem with? Did that computer come with W10 pre-loaded from the factory or did you upgrade it from an earlier version of Windows, such as W7/W8/W8.1?? THIS IS CRITICAL FOR US TO KNOW!!

In either case, be aware that since W10 came out on July 29, 2015, there are somewhere around 500 Million people or more that are running W10, and it's become a prime target for hackers and virus-writers to go after. And one of the easiest things to do is to go after the Admin Account and scramble it, or steal it and sell it to Identity Theft criminals.:pirate:

Before you attempt any of the repairs we give to you, we strongly suggest that you FIRST BACKUP ALL OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA TO EXTERNAL MEDIA! THIS WOULD INCLUDE YOUR LIBRARY FOLDERS FOR DOCUMENTS, PHOTOS, MUSIC, VIDEOS, AND ANY SAVED E-MAILS OR ATTACHMENTS IN ORDER TO AVOID IRRETRIEVABLE DATA LOSS!! IF YOU DO SKIP THIS STEP OR IGNORE IT, YOU MAY SUFFER FROM IRRETRIEVABLE DATA LOSS WHICH IS ENTIRELY YOUR RESPONSIBILITY!!!!

In any case there are several remediations for this, but unfortunately the program you mention; Norton FullScan and Erase does not catch all types of spyware and especially spyware that infects your computer via RootKits and BootKits. These little nasties hide in the hidden system partitions of your computer's hard drive and cannot be accessed using standard AV programs such as Norton. We suggest that you download the free MALWAREBYTES from malwarebytes.org and scan/remove all spyware viruses found. Remember also on the new version to go into Scan settings, and select the box "CHECK FOR ROOTKITS". The old version does not have this option, and you'd have to download additional antispyware tools to detect these types of viruses! Reboot and retry to login to your Admin account again. If it's fixed, you had a nasty spyware virus which has now been removed and you are back in business! :up:

If you do all the above as I suggest, and you have tried to fix your Admin account via the Microsoft Account login page as MikeH suggested, and you still get no love, you can try to create a new W10 Admin account using the WindowsPE Recovery Environment. *this is Advanced* and you must have or make or purchase W10 install media (DVD or USB stick). If you are unsure about doing this and have never done it before, I suggest you take your computer to an A+ Licensed and Certified Computer Pro, either at a large Computer chain store such as Best Buy Geek Squad or Micro Center and pay a professional to do this for you! Expect to pay from $65-$160 or so; more of course if you have them make a Housecall and come out to your house or apartment (add $165 onto that estimate! o_O).

In the hands of an expert, this is sometimes possible if the right methods are used. However, be aware that even if you pay a Pro to fix this particular problem, depending on the particular virus and it's payload and how badly it damaged your W10 system files and Registry a full W10 Reset or W10 Reinstallation may be required. This is bad news for you, since even if you pay a Pro to do this, you are looking at 2 weeks to 3 months or so to completely get that computer back to where you had it before the virus attacked your Computer!:waah::waah:

Also, be aware that without advanced computer skills this problem may be beyond you.:headache: It takes Cybercriminals tens of thousands of man-hours to come up with these toxic, dangerous and nasty viruses;:eek: you are very unlikely to be able to fix it in the 1-2 hours that you are probably expecting it to take to fix it! :noway:

Let us know your Computer Make/Model and how things go.:)
<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>>

I can't validate that this program works; but since MikeH posted it; there is a decent chance it might. :pray: You should know that there are other methods to Reset your lost password, possibly recover the actual missing password, but they require advanced Computer skills. Hopefully, this program MikeH recommended works for you. Otherwise, I suggest you take your computer to your local Computer Pro and pay him to reset or recovery your lost Password. There other methods are not generally shared on forums, as they are VERY HIGH risk and most home User's suffer from irretrievable data loss when attempting to use these methods, as they often SKIP backing up their computer first in a hurry to bypass the password, and if they do have backups, they are often inadequate (such as W10 built-in Backup, which is well documented not to work properly), and then we would get blamed when they suffer partial or total Data Loss!! :waah:

So the best thing I can offer you is that FIRST BACKUP ALL OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA TO EXTERNAL MEDIA! THIS WOULD INCLUDE YOUR LIBRARY FOLDERS FOR DOCUMENTS, PHOTOS, MUSIC, VIDEOS, AND ANY SAVED E-MAILS OR ATTACHMENTS IN ORDER TO PREVENT IRRETRIEVABLE DATA LOSS!! MAKE CERTAIN YOU DO THIS PRIOR TO ATTEMPTING ANY KIND OF ADMIN USER ACCOUNT RECOVERY!!

BBJ ;)

Great! I have an HP Pavillion g6 Notebook PC and I did upgrade from Windows 7 - I've now backed up everything I need to - thanks. Using the original Admin password I managed to download and run malwararebytes - about 13 issues now quarantined. Now here's the rub - I managed through User settings, using the original Admin password, to set the other local account to be an Administrator. Great I thought so I changed the password of the Original Local Admin account - but when I tried to login as the original local admin account with the new password I had set for it got the message Incorrect Password! My next plan is using the new Admin account to remove the original and see where that gets me....all very strange but I'm hopeful of some progress - thanks for your help!

starting to sound like you upgraded the local-admin to a Microsoft account... try the link Mike first posted to check your Microsoft account settings and see if this machine is listed

Back