Windows 10 Windows 10 Tech Preview titbits

davidhk129

A thing or 2 that puzzles me :

1. During installing Win 10 to my VMware Player ( host os is Win 7 ), I was never asked for product key. After install. it was activated automatically. So, what is that generic product key used for ?
Image 2.png

2. MS has set Windows Updates as Auto. I hate Bing and have been "hiding" it whenever it shows up for update, and now MS is going to jam it down my throat. It is offending and insulting.

3. I noticed, after installing Ccleaner (free edition) in Win 10 ,there was a popup at bottom right telling me that Ccleaner is going to monitor my computer and will inform me when to do cleanup.
Really ?
Is that something new ? I never saw that before.
I just barely had time to snip it before it faded away.....
Image 4.png

Last edited:
#1.) Same here, copied it down, but was never asked for it. Maybe I'll run license crawler later and see if they match up.
#2.) No comment.
#3.) Yep... that's a new deal. If you have the absolute latest version of Ccleaner, you can turn that off under options, uncheck both the top and bottom box referencing system monitoring.

Method mentioned below applies to users such as I, using a non-touchscreen computer.
(My Win 10 is installed in VMware Player. Not that It matters in this topic.)

How to toggle between New Start Menu Desktop and Modern (Metro) Start Screen..........
In the search box, type navigation properties > click navigation properties > click Start Menu tab > check or uncheck the box "Use the Start Menu instead of the Start Screen" > OK > you will be prompted to sign out > machine will restart and you will be back on the new Start Menu desktop >
if you've checked the box "Use the Start Menu instead of the Start Screen", you are done.
if you've unchecked the box " Use the Start Menu instead of the Start Screen", click at the "Start" logo and you will be on Modern Start screen.

Not very convenient, but for someone who leans towards Modern Start screen but without a touchscreen computer, this is the next best way.

Last edited:
Microsoft is not tidy on its own work.
MS shows it to the public as Windows 10.
Belarc has found it is still called Windows 9. Wake up, MS programmers.

Image 3.png

Speccy is not compatible with Win 10.
Neither is Avast.

Well it is still work in progress... That has been made very clear.

I'm sure it will be revised in the next round of updates.

I've also merged a couple of threads David as they were of similar subjects.

Warning...... re: neurowise.

Win 10 users, go to your Programs and Features . locate neurowise and uninstall it before it causes damage.

According to my google search, neurowise is an adware.

Method mentioned below applies to users such as I, using a non-touchscreen computer.
(My Win 10 is installed in VMware Player. Not that It matters in this topic.)

How to toggle between New Start Menu Desktop and Modern (Metro) Start Screen..........
In the search box, type navigation properties > click navigation properties > click Start Menu tab > check or uncheck the box "Use the Start Menu instead of the Start Screen" > OK > you will be prompted to sign out > machine will restart and you will be back on the new Start Menu desktop >
if you've checked the box "Use the Start Menu instead of the Start Screen", you are done.
if you've unchecked the box " Use the Start Menu instead of the Start Screen", click at the "Start" logo and you will be on Modern Start screen.

Not very convenient, but for someone who leans towards Modern Start screen but without a touchscreen computer, this is the next best way.

David, that is more complicated than need be. Rt Clk Taskbar > Properties > Start Menu tab, it's the top (1st) box or item. Much more convenient.

Cheers,
Drew
Windows 10S.jpg

Last edited:
A thing or 2 that puzzles me :

1. During installing Win 10 to my VMware Player ( host os is Win 7 ), I was never asked for product key. After install. it was activated automatically. So, what is that generic product key used for ?
View attachment 28203

2. MS has set Windows Updates as Auto. I hate Bing and have been "hiding" it whenever it shows up for update, and now MS is going to jam it down my throat. It is offending and insulting.

3. I noticed, after installing Ccleaner (free edition) in Win 10 ,there was a popup at bottom right telling me that Ccleaner is going to monitor my computer and will inform me when to do cleanup.
Really ?
Is that something new ? I never saw that before.
I just barely had time to snip it before it faded away.....
View attachment 28204

When we were Beta Testing Windows 8 we had a generic Key, also. In that occasion we had to enter it, if I recall, correctly. I am going to suggest the reason that is not necessary, now, is because the Key is embedded in the OS, now.

And, by the same token, Chome will give google. GM doesn't offer Ford parts, either. Use whatever search engine one wants. Yes, WU is auto. Fixes some people forgetting to set updates to auto. (same as giving embedded security that's on, by default avoids people forgetting to put any on the system). It, also, is part of the concept that has come w/ 10. One Platform across all devices.... if you notice, after Win Phone 8.0 went to Win Phone 8.1 the updates are automatic... w/ 10 that is the same, regardless of device, PC or Mobile. If end Users neglect, Auto won't. And that ties in w/ good security being maintained, of course.

Yes, it came in the 2nd last version update of CCleaner. In version 4.18.4824

If anyone ever doesn't like certain answers, remember, don't shoot the messenger.

Cheers,
Drew
Windows 10S.jpg

Written whilst running Win 10 x64 on a Hyper-V VM

Microsoft is not tidy on its own work.
MS shows it to the public as Windows 10.
Belarc has found it is still called Windows 9. Wake up, MS programmers.

View attachment 28209

Speccy is not compatible with Win 10.
Neither is Avast

Not too serious, right now, as security comes w/ the OS. 3rd Party vendors have a time to catch up... GA release not until sometime during 2015.

Cheers,
Drew
Windows 10S.jpg

Warning...... re: neurowise.

Win 10 users, go to your Programs and Features . locate neurowise and uninstall it before it causes damage.

According to my google search, neurowise is an adware.
Um, that, certainly, is not on my list. Don't think it anything that comes as 'standard equipment' w/ the OS.

The Task View button is cool & better than using Alt-Tab. But, seems unnecessary as one could, always see & select things via the Taskbar. But, still, it's fun playing w/ Win10, discovering & leaning all that it offers.

Cheers,
Drew
Windows 10S.jpg

Back