Windows 10 Windows 10 Technical Preview Factory Reset Problems

pieking7

I have windows 10 technical preview on my PC. I recently bought a new laptop and tried to use the "Remove Everything and Reinstall Windows" setting. I am now looking at a blue screen that reads: "Automatic Repair couldn't repair your PC Press 'Advanced options' to try other options to repair your PC or 'Shut down' to turn off your PC. Log file: D:\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt". The mouse is non-existent on the screen, and clicking "Tab" or the up, down, left, and right arrows, home, end, page up, page down buttons do not change the selection of the "Shut down" and "Advanced options" buttons. Pressing "enter" does not do anything either. I have tried pressing "f8" to launch safety mode, which did nothing; followed by "f10" and "shift" during the "Automatic Repair" screen, which did nothing at all. When I manually restart my computer, I'm brought back to the same "Automatic Repair couldn't repair your PC" screen. Please help, I'm fairly computer savey and am a developer in Java programs, also very knowledgeable in hardware. If I can't figure this out, then I really need help! Thank you, in advance.

The laptop is running windows 8.1(I didn't want to get into the windows 10 technical preview after this incident!) and the PC was running windows 7 before I downloaded the technical preview. The laptop has an Intel i7-5500u dual-core CPU, an NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 850m GPU, and 16 GB RAM. The PC has an Intel Pentium CPU, no GPU, and 4 GB RAM.

If I understand, you downloaded Windows 10 and upgraded Over Windows 7?

There is some problem pushing you into the Recovery Options, but your mouse or keyboard will not work to make any selections.

Since the mouse will normally be available, I suppose there may be a problem with it. Perhaps changing USB ports or use a different type of mouse and or keyboard.

You might work on getting some external Install Media. You could download the .iso for 10074 and put that on a DVD or Flash Drive in case you might need it.

If you can get the SrtTrail.txt file, it might indicate what the problem is... but only a small chance.

There is some problem pushing you into the Recovery Options, but your mouse or keyboard will not work to make any selections.

Since the mouse will normally be available, I suppose there may be a problem with it. Perhaps changing USB ports or use a different type of mouse and or keyboard.

You might work on getting some external Install Media. You could download the .iso for 10074 and put that on a DVD or Flash Drive in case you might need it.

If you can get the SrtTrail.txt file, it might indicate what the problem is... but only a small chance.

Thank you! This really helps! I know the mouse and keyboard are not the issue because I have already successfully tested both of them on my laptop. The PC's USB ports were all fully functional before this issue occurred, so I doubt they are the issue(I have already tried all of the ports unsuccessfully after the issue occurred). I will definitely try making a recovery image from my laptop to use on my PC(as soon as I buy a flash storage device or other form of external storage media big enough to hold 3-6 GB)!
Thank you again!

Also, I do not currently have any external media devices attached to my PC, so maybe the problem is that the Automatic Recovery can not find the file to log its process.

According to your thread title, you wanted to return to factory settings correct?

The post indicates that you are attempting to restore your broken OS to its original state. These are two different functions. Normally, with a new laptop, there will be a hidden folder with the original factory shipped software. A key, (different, according to the make of computer) is pressed at the point of initial boot, normally F12 or F11, which leads you into a small guidance menu. When the process has finished, you computer will be as bought from the retailer.
Prssing the buttons after the OS has begun loading, will not achieve this.

According to your thread title, you wanted to return to factory settings correct?

The post indicates that you are attempting to restore your broken OS to its original state. These are two different functions. Normally, with a new laptop, there will be a hidden folder with the original factory shipped software. A key, (different, according to the make of computer) is pressed at the point of initial boot, normally F12 or F11, which leads you into a small guidance menu. When the process has finished, you computer will be as bought from the retailer.
Prssing the buttons after the OS has begun loading, will not achieve this.

Thank you, I will try both function operations before the operating system begins loading. I appreciate the response!

OK. Just a reminder that the keys mentioned are common, but it could , naturally, be another key that activates the factory reset. If you have a handbook, it should be mentioned there.

OK. Just a reminder that the keys mentioned are common, but it could , naturally, be another key that activates the factory reset. If you have a handbook, it should be mentioned there.

Alright, I unfortunately do not have a handbook(this computer is at least seven years old), but I will try all possible key combinations! Thanks, again!

Sorry to come back to you on this. Reading your OP again. It is the Laptop that we are discussing here? Not totally clear from the post.

Sorry to come back to you on this. Reading your OP again. It is the Laptop that we are discussing here? Not totally clear from the post.

That's alright, it's actually the desktop PC we are discussing. Sorry for the confusion! The laptop was just to point out my resources for creating a recovery disc.

Ok. No Prob. 7year old Stationary -?- Well, my advice should work, but that was about the time they introduced the factory recovery partition.

Back