Windows 10 Windows 10 to Windows 7 with HD swap on new laptop?

InitialKev

Honorable Member
If I have a laptop that is Windows 10 and swap out the HD with my current solid state HD that has Windows 7, will it work and everything be the same as my current laptop? A friend of mine says I might have driver conflicts or it might work without a problem.

It might work with the odd blue screen or two but it also depends on the Windows 7 licence. If it's a retail copy then fine you will, if the os works at all, have to activate Windows again as it's a different machine. If it's an OEM copy then the licence is tied to the machine it was installed on and is non transferable.

It should be an OEM copy as it came installed when I bought the computer. I had to upgrade to a SSD about a year ago when the original HD failed.

Sometimes Microsoft will issue a new key if say the motherboard had died. When installing a new motherboard the os will see it as a new computer which breaks the licence on OEM's. One can phone Microsoft regarding the activation and sometimes they'll give you a new key especially if the old machine died, wink, wink.

To activate Windows 7 by phone:
  1. Select the Start button
    14032_en-us_1
    , right-click Computer, select Properties, and then select Activate Windows now.
  2. Choose Show me other ways to activate.
  3. Type your Windows 7 product key, and then select Next.
  4. Select Use the automated phone system.
    12183_en_7
    You may be asked for an admin password or to confirm your choice.
  5. Select your location (or the location nearest you) from the drop-down list, and then select Next.
  6. Call one of the available phone numbers listed. An automated system will guide you through the activation process.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/15083/windows-how-to-activate

Back
Top Bottom