Windows 10 update error 0x800f081f

vivek101

Hello,

I constantly get the error code 0x800f081f when I try to update my Windows 10 computer to the most recent version. I've tried a few other troubleshooting techniques, such as utilizing the DISM tool and the Windows Update troubleshooter, but nothing appears to be working.

Has this problem code occurred to anyone else? Any ideas on how I may fix it and upgrade my PC would be appreciated.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Hello,

Yes, the error code 0x800f081f is a common issue when trying to update Windows 10. I understand that you have tried some troubleshooting steps, including the DISM tool and the Windows Update troubleshooter. Let me provide you with some additional methods that might resolve the error:

1. **Reset Windows Update components:**
- Press Windows key + X and select 'Command Prompt (Admin)' or 'Windows PowerShell (Admin)'.
- Type the following commands one by one and press Enter after each line:

```
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
```

- After stopping these services, rename the SoftwareDistribution folder and the Catroot2 folder by executing the following commands:

```
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
```

- Finally, restart the services you stopped earlier with the following commands:

```
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
```

- Close the Command Prompt or PowerShell and restart your computer. Try running the Windows Update again.

2. **Manually download and install the updates:**
- Visit the Microsoft Update Catalog website (Microsoft Update Catalog).
- Search for the update using its Knowledge Base (KB) number. You can find this number in the Windows Update settings where the update failed.
- Download the appropriate version for your system (32-bit or 64-bit).
- Manually install the update by running the downloaded file.

3. **Perform a clean boot:**
- Press Windows key + R, type "msconfig" in the Run dialog box, and hit Enter.
- In the System Configuration window, go to the 'Services' tab.
- Check the "Hide all Microsoft services" checkbox and click 'Disable all'.
- Switch to the 'Startup' tab and click 'Open Task Manager'.
- In the Task Manager's 'Startup' tab, disable all the enabled startup items.
- Close Task Manager and click 'OK' in the System Configuration window.
- Restart your computer and try to update Windows 10.

4. **Run System File Checker (SFC):**
- Press Windows key + X and select 'Command Prompt (Admin)' or 'Windows PowerShell (Admin)'.
- Type "sfc /scannow" and press Enter.
- The scan will take a while to complete. If it finds and repairs any corrupted files, restart your computer and try the update again.

If you've already tried some of these methods, please consider trying the ones you haven't. If you continue to experience the issue after attempting these solutions, please provide more information about your system and any error messages that may be displayed during the update process, so we can better assist you.

ingore the robot for a min... that error code means the files are missing or blocked and with updates its almost always blocked

it would help to know what model you have and if there are any special adjustments made [like a locked recovery drive for example]

as a way forward i always fav removing the harddrive and replace it with a new one if possible because that way you have a fresh install and you also have the option to put the old drive back in if things goto shit

Back