Windows 10 Windows 10 update problem :

Quovadis

Hi , Having issues with the updates , windows runs updates, but doesn't always install , will then ask for updates that is already installed , then shows errors . I have run the software to repair ( left hand pane ) and software finds a multiple of errors and then repairs them . I reboot and start again only to find the same problems. the software is run again and the same errors come up again , which I repair , and so it goes on . at the moment dont seem to be able to download any files yet the software says everything is Ok and repaired ... This has only started recently ... I have tried to do a recovery to an earlier time but says file has a error and suggests I do a DSCK check , which I am running at the moment . I am posting this via another laptop whilst this is being done . .... any ideas please

Kind regards

Try to get use to be without 3rd party firewall. You may even think to use windows antivirus.
So biggest enemy to Win10 are all those. Just forget on them. It seems Microsoft don't want guests anymore. But if you must have them disable them all during installation.

Hi , Having issues with the updates , windows runs updates, but doesn't always install , will then ask for updates that is already installed , then shows errors . I have run the software to repair ( left hand pane ) and software finds a multiple of errors and then repairs them . I reboot and start again only to find the same problems. the software is run again and the same errors come up again , which I repair , and so it goes on . at the moment dont seem to be able to download any files yet the software says everything is Ok and repaired ... This has only started recently ... I have tried to do a recovery to an earlier time but says file has a error and suggests I do a DSCK check , which I am running at the moment . I am posting this via another laptop whilst this is being done . .... any ideas please

Kind regards
Running DISM may help and I'll post the scan details below. Tell me, have you recently upgraded to a later version of windows or similar?

File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

I think you said you tried this but Microsofts troubleshooter might help:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-hk/help/4027322/windows-update-troubleshooter

Correct me if I'm wrong @Quovadis but it sounds like you're having multiple issues? Can you confirm and break them up as it all seems to be jumbled together.

For the Windows update issues occasionally some updates will cause subsequent ones to fail. Typically just rebooting and then trying to update again will fix that (may take multiple reboots)

The Windows update troubleshooter Kemical suggested will often fix a lot of problems. Another suggestion would be to rebuild the software update cache on your system as this can become corrupt. To rebuild it do the following.
  • Press [Windows key + r]
  • Type services.msc and press enter
  • Stop the Windows Update service and if running, background intelligent transfer service
  • Open file explorer and rename the SoftwareDistribution directory in C:\Windows (I typically append .old to the name)
  • Restart the Windows Update service
  • Try and update the system again
If you're still having issues do the following
  • [Windows key + r]
  • Type powershell and press enter
  • Get-WindowsUpdateLog -FilePath $env:Userprofile\Desktop\WU.txt
  • When it finishes upload the WU.txt file here

Running DISM may help and I'll post the scan details below. Tell me, have you recently upgraded to a later version of windows or similar?

File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

I think you said you tried this but Microsofts troubleshooter might help:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-hk/help/4027322/windows-update-troubleshooter
Hi seems to have got worse , but tried above and got :
stop code ntfs system

windows resource protection could not perform request

finally ran restore health and got error 87

then online cleanup command option is unknown

I think in this instance I am going to undertake a fresh install and start again , but thanks anyway

Like I told you. Try to find install disk and recover system from it.
You don't need those mumbo-jumbo things.

First you'll need OS installation disk with exactly the same OS that you have installed it from 1st time. Press F7 or F9 or something like this(find in manual) and change to boot from disk or change it in your BIOS.

Let OS boot from cd and try repair system. Just read all. Be careful. Ask one who knows to get there and help you.

Last edited:
Hi seems to have got worse , but tried above and got :
stop code ntfs system

windows resource protection could not perform request

finally ran restore health and got error 87

then online cleanup command option is unknown

I think in this instance I am going to undertake a fresh install and start again , but thanks anyway
Thank you for the update and i hope the install goes well.

One thing, you did mention is that the system had a stop error (blue screen?) regarding ntfs plus you also mentioned in your first post about the os asking you to perform a disk check. Now the only reason i mention this is that I feel it would be prudent if you, when able, to run a chkdsk scan.
chkdsk – Guide for Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10

BSOD is just "that thing" that has occurrences. Forget it. It doesn't mean anything to common user. Next time make recovery CD of ones good installation.

Back
Top Bottom