Windows 8 Windows 10 Update Stuck Please Help!

RyanPBaskett

I do NOT want to upgrade to Windows 10! I have disabled the systray icon and have uninstalled the installed Windows 10 KB updates and hidden them, I've even followed a regedit that will prevent my system from updating to Windows 10, however, my Windows Update is now stuck at "Your Upgrade to Windows 10 is ready". It says I need to restart to complete this but no matter how many times I restart I can never get rid of this and I cannot search for new updates. Someone please help me!

I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro x64.

Error 1.PNG Error 2.PNG 3.PNG

Last edited:
I was under the impression this was the kind of site where you could go as a kind of knowledgebase to get answers to Windows questions. I might be able to try safe mode.

Hi Ryan! We have a lot of smart people here that can answer about any questions you have, You picked a bad time and I'm the only one logged on, the last time I looked and I'm running W10 and I never ran W8.1. My thinking is to get into the repair mode through safe mode.
As I said I'm just making suggestions I would try. There are several ways to recover Windows???
What questions do you have?? Other members may log on at any time. We are all from different time zones.
The link I provided should get you started to recovery. For example restore to a earlier time ect!
Let me know what else you need and I'll try to help you until another member logs on.;):)
PS welcome to the forum!

I do NOT want to upgrade to Windows 10! I have disabled the systray icon and have uninstalled the installed Windows 10 KB updates and hidden them, I've even followed a regedit that will prevent my system from updating to Windows 10, however, my Windows Update is now stuck at "Your Upgrade to Windows 10 is ready". It says I need to restart to complete this but no matter how many times I restart I can never get rid of this and I cannot search for new updates. Someone please help me!

I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro x64.

View attachment 32662 View attachment 32663 View attachment 32664
Try installing this app:
GWX Control Panel

so let me understand you did not wanted to go to windows 10?based on what you done thats what it tells me is that right
RyanPBaskett
this small software would of done it for you
GRC | Never10
i dont get it, the only thing you ware suppose to do is unistall gwx, wich is kb3035583 and check if there was any residuals in the windows folder, and then hide the update so it wont bring it to you again thats all

Last edited:
There you go Ryan you now have a choice but both will do the same thing.

Windows 10 was trying to force me to upgrade so I was already beyond the point of disabling the already installed update. However, I did disable that update at the time that my computer's updates said, "Your Windows 10 Upgrade is Ready". So now having uninstalled the KB for the Windows update, my computer is stuck in needing a restart to update but will not update anything no matter how many times I restart making it impossible for me to further search and apply needed updates for my operating system.

Also, I shouldn't have to install additional software on my computer that's sole functionality is to prevent Microsoft from forcing Windows 10 up my ass. I am required to use Windows 10 at my job and I'd have to say that it pretty much sucks like a score of 2 out of 10 does.

You could always change your update settings to 'search for updates but ask me whether to download and install them'. This will give you the chance to remove and undesirable updates before they're installed.

So, you are stuck in a boot loop, saying that it will install windows 10, but you don't want windows 10? If you let it install you can roll it back to 8.1 after, that should fix the issue. There is a page on this forum on how to do that, you would just have to do it before Windows 10 becomes paid.

Windows 10 was trying to force me to upgrade so I was already beyond the point of disabling the already installed update. However, I did disable that update at the time that my computer's updates said, "Your Windows 10 Upgrade is Ready". So now having uninstalled the KB for the Windows update, my computer is stuck in needing a restart to update but will not update anything no matter how many times I restart making it impossible for me to further search and apply needed updates for my operating system.

Unfortunately you will keep getting these prompts for Windows 10 until the free upgrade period is over on July 29th. (unless it get's extended of course.)

Microsoft have even changed the install procedure so if the user wants to close the upgrade screen by clicking the little 'x' that will now start the upgrade too.

Check out this article which expands on the virtue of GWX Control Panel which stops the upgrade:
How Microsoft's tricky new Windows 10 pop-up deceives you into upgrading

exacly i agree and block and hide the corrisponding KB - from the downloads and you will never see it again

Back