Windows 10 Windows 10 upgrade fail

terryf

I have had several failures to upgrade.
I am running Windows 7 SP1 on a Dell XP8500.
I have recently installed a SSD to use as my main drive with the original as data store.
Bought ViewSonic touch screen monitor specially for Windows 10.
The most recent attempt gave the most information.
error 0xC1900101-0x30018 error occurred in First Boot Phase during SYSPREP operation.
Can anyone suggest a solution.
Terry
ps
A large update arrived this morning to do with the upgrade so will try again .
That also failed, but at least I got the same error report this time.

Last edited:
  • Can you boot to desktop on the w7 machine?
  • How much free space is on the c drive?
in most cases the w7 machine needs a patch/ update and it sounds like that might be missing one,
  • Do you have the gwx app installed yet?

• Can you boot to desktop on the w7 machine?
  • How much free space is on the c drive?
in most cases the w7 machine needs a patch/ update and it sounds like that might be missing one,
  • Do you have the gwx app installed yet?
Thanks for reply.
Yes on win 7 can boot straight to desk top.
I have 793GB on drive C.
Yes I have the gwx app installed.
Can you tell me more about these patches and where would I find them?
Just remembered I updated the BIOS to latest version from Dell, from (I think) A9 to A12 if that means anything.
Terry

Last edited:
Ime the best way to install the upgrade is to use the media tool to download the iso first from here; Windows 10

How did you put a ssd in as your main drive... did you use some software to image your old drive to the new one or did you install w7 onto it as a new install with no other hdd in the system at the time?

Ime the best way to install the upgrade is to use the media tool to download the iso first from here; Windows 10

How did you put a ssd in as your main drive... did you use some software to image your old drive to the new one or did you install w7 onto it as a new install with no other hdd in the system at the time?

I have run the "check my system" finds no problem.
I used AOMEI to clone and worked fine or seemed to. But unfortunately the SSD failed so I am back with original drive.
The latest failure was with the original drive and gave the same error.

At this point I'd be asking myself how much is a new system vs spending $ on fixing this one?

This machine was made to run XP and that was a while back however if you have parts lying around then put a blank hdd into it (i.e remove the current one and put it away somewhere safe) install Windows 7sp1 as a fresh install and try the upgrade again...
Otherwise go get yourself a cheap $300 {ish} new system and move on.

At this point I'd be asking myself how much is a new system vs spending $ on fixing this one?

This machine was made to run XP and that was a while back however if you have parts lying around then put a blank hdd into it (i.e remove the current one and put it away somewhere safe) install Windows 7sp1 as a fresh install and try the upgrade again...
Otherwise go get yourself a cheap $300 {ish} new system and move on.

I was actually thinking of treating myself, so giving your suggestion some serious thought.
Thanks
Terry

Back