Windows 10 Windows 10 Upgrade

arfursleep

Since upgrading to Windows 10 Version 1511, 10586 when I log online I keep getting the following message
Microsoft Office Outlook
Either there is no default mail client or the current cannot fulfil the messaging request. Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it as the default mail client.

I don't want to use Microsoft Office Outlook as my Default email client, and prefer to stay with Windows Live Mail.

Any suggestions how to stop getting this message will be most grateful

Hi

Try going to the page where you set the default apps and see if you can set Windows Live Mail as the default.

Go to Settings and type in Set Defaults in the upper right corner.
Then select Default App Settings.

See if that fixes it.

Mike

Hi

Try going to the page where you set the default apps and see if you can set Windows Live Mail as the default.

Go to Settings and type in Set Defaults in the upper right corner.
Then select Default App Settings.

See if that fixes it.

Mike
Hi Mike I have tried what you suggested but still getting the same annoying message and in my original post. Any ideas of any more suggestions I can try please

I use Windows Live Mail, but have not experienced this problem (so far). But, try this:

First. It could be that the upgrade has not recognised Windows live Mail as an installed program. Right click the Start and select "Programs and Features". If you see Live Essentials" in the list, select it and click, at the top, "Uninstall/Change"
. In the next dialogue, select "Repair all Windows Live Programs"

If this doesn't work for you, then:

1. Open the Control Panel (Right click the start and select)
Go to "Default Programs", then "Set your default programs"
Scroll down to "Windows LIve Mail and set it as default.
2, Open Windows Live Mail, click "File" on the top bar and then
"Options" and then "mail". Select the "general" tab and, at the bottom. make sure that "This application is the Default Mail handler", is ticked, or greyed.

Last edited:
Thanks Dave, I have tried all you have suggested but still getting the same problem and have only had this problem since the Autumn upgrade. Any more suggestions please.

The ultimate suggestion, I'm afraid. Uninstall your present Live Mail and reinstall. Obtain it from the original source.

Windows Essentials - Microsoft Windows

Note that you can select "Other download options" and choose a country specific language. The program will make a request to download a compatible version of net framework, before proceeding. You must agree to this. It will complete this and then you close the program, and Windows Live will automatically start. Choose the programs you need from the offers, and the rest will take care of itself.

Hi

When you do that you may want to backup your contacts list.
It should be a file called, "contacts.edb" someplace in your Users folder.

It is probably a hidden file, so you will have to select "Show hidden files, folders and drives" in View Options.

Mine is at, C:\Users\XXXXX XXXXXXX\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live\Contacts\Default\15.5\DBStore\contacts.edb

Mike

Might be easier just to export them as a csv? I have mine associated with my live log in account. Whenever I find the need to do a reinstall, as soon as I log in, my contacts are there, intact. But I do have a csv file saved - just in case!

Hi

I thought that he couldn't access Live Mail on his computer?
Don't you have to get into the application to export the mail and contacts?

Mike

Back
Top Bottom