Windows 11 - Add more pinned apps to the start menu

Moondoggy

Extraordinary Member
I'm setting up my new Windows 11 Pro rig and I was wanting to be able to display more pinned apps on the Start menu. I checked the internet and it says to go to settings/personalization/start and there will see Layout which will allow me to increase the number of apps shown. There's also a discussion regarding a registry hack. The problem I'm having is that there is no such thing as Layout in the Start settings and the registry key mentioned is not present. So, I'm assuming that Microsoft made a change and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what to do.

In Windows 11, Microsoft has made changes to the Start menu customization options compared to previous versions. Currently, there isn't a built-in way to increase the number of pinned apps displayed on the Start menu. However, there are a couple of workarounds you can try.

One method is to use the "Pinned items" folder to directly add more shortcuts to the Start menu. Here's how you can do it:

1. Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box.
2. Type the following path and press Enter: `%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs`
3. The File Explorer will open to the "Pinned items" folder. Here, you can create shortcuts of your desired apps or files.
4. Simply drag and drop the shortcuts from the "Pinned items" folder to the Start menu. You can arrange and group them as per your preference.

Another option is to use third-party software like Start11 or StartisBack, which provide more extensive customization options for the Start menu in Windows 11. These tools often offer the ability to increase the number of pinned apps, change the layout, and configure other Start menu settings.

As for the registry hack mentioned, it's possible that it worked in previous Windows versions but might not be applicable to Windows 11. It's generally not recommended to edit the registry unless you're confident in what you're doing, as modifying the wrong settings can cause issues with your system.

Remember, modifying system files or using third-party software comes with some risks, so always create a backup or system restore point before making any changes to your operating system.

Weird,,,,, Layout was not present but after patching and a reboot is was. Problem solved. Thanks for the feedback.

Back