Windows 7 Windows 7 32 bit to 64 bit

jubyo

Today i installed windows 7 64 bit using the custom install option. I had vista 32 bit before i installed windows seven so i thought the installation would do a clean installation and delete everything on my disk drive except the windows 7 os. But when it was done, i still had my old files labled windows.old. I wanted to do a clean install also so i could clear my disk space, but since i still have my old files in windows old, i still have the same amount of disk space i had with vista. Is there a way to do a clean install, or did i just do it wrong :mad:? Any help or suggestions will be appreciated ;). Thanks!

There are several ways, depending on what you want. You could make a separate partition and install the 64Bit there. As you appear to have already removed the 32Bit, this could now be a waste of time.
Best method, where you are is to remove the Windows.old folder. Use the "Disk Cleanup" program which is in your Start menu. This will get you to a point with a clean install of 64Bit.
Otherwise, if you really want to do it all again, reinstall but, after the initial start of the DVD, you will see an option to format the disk before proceeding.

Is there a way to do a clean install, or did i just do it wrong :mad:?
To do a clean install, you need 7 installation DVD, not an upgrade DVD. Then:

1. In bios, set boot device priority to DVD Rom
2. Put the DVD into your DVD drive
3. Start your machine
4. As soon as you see "Press any key to boot ...", press any key
5. The installation process will start
6. Wait and follow further on-screen instructions

Clean Install Windows 7 - How to Perform a Clean Installation of Windows 7 - Part 1 of 3

Somehow, I don't think that is relevant to the OP's problem, cybercore??

I did M8. You cannot do an upgrade from 32 bit anything to 64Bit, only a clean install. As I read it, the OP did a custom install from the DVD, not an upgrade.

Once again, RAK, if you would kindly do, read the OP's question carefully:
Is there a way to do a clean install, or did i just do it wrong ?
Yes, the user did a CUSTOM install, but he also asked us if and how he could do the clean install. So, on my part, I replied that in order to do clean install he needed a 7 installation DVD, an upgrade DVD would not do.

Once again, RAK, if you would kindly do, read the OP's question carefully: Yes, the user did a CUSTOM install, but he also asked us if and how he could do the clean install. So, on my part, I replied that in order to do clean install he needed a 7 installation DVD, an upgrade DVD would not do.

So to do the clean install i need a installation dvd? But the one i used i think is a windows 7 installation dvd; so it should be able to do a clean install. I'm confused why it did not do a clean install since i thought you can not upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit. But after it was done all my old files were in windows.old and i still had about the same amount of space i had with vista. I just want to do a clean install with only the windows 7 os on it. Is there some option to click on before i install it? Please help :confused:!

I just want to do a clean install with only the windows 7 os on it. Is there some option to click on before i install it? Please help :confused:!
In order to not have the Windows.old folder, you can use the disk options button during the custom install to format the drive prior to the install and basically wipe it so no win.old folder will be created.

Is this different from doing a custom install and then deleting the windows.old folder later--doesn't seem like it. The install/upgrade process for Win 7 has been very confusing considering the requirements to activate an upgrade version of the Install DVD, thus you see varied opinions.

I might just add this in case you could use it:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Delete-files-using-Disk-Cleanup

Last edited:
In order to not have the Windows.old folder, you can use the disk options button during the custom install to format the drive prior to the install and basically wipe it so no win.old folder will be created.

So when i click disk options during the 7 custom installation do i click format or delete so i can do a clean install with only the os? Can any one help plz?

So when i click disk options during the 7 custom installation do i click format or delete so i can do a clean install with only the os? Can any one help plz?

I deleted all my partitions and I believe I hit next which created a new partition for windows 7. I am not sure which windows you have but I am using Windows 7 Home Premium. Somebody correct me if my memory is telling me wrong.

If you format, it will clean the partition so there will be no files to make a windows.old with.

If you delete, then create new, you will probably be forced into having the 100mb System Reserved partition.

If your partitions are where you want them, just format them.

The difference between this and formatting prior to the install is most folks say if the prior OS in loaded, and the install can see it, then you will be able to use the upgrade DVD to install and activate. I have no confirmed evidence of this either way.

Last edited:
Your right Saltgrass, if you delete you will have 100mb reserve partition. I forgot about that.
I went the route of deleting the partitions. I had no problem with using the upgrade disk to install and activating that way.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom