Windows 7 Windows 7, 64 Bit experiment....

djwayne

Okay so I'm hearing from some people that 64 bit is the OS of the future, so I decided to try it out.

So I downloaded the 64 bit version of W7, bought a new hard drive just for this, installed it, and it runs just as good as the 32 bit version. Not much difference except my sound card drivers won't install because Windows 64 Bit insists on having signed drivers. The drivers for the 32 bit version work just fine.

Adobe Audition 3 seems to be working although I have no sound.

So here we go again with driver problems. So at this time I'll be going back to W7 32 bit version and use the new hard drive for back up/storage, or future experiments with the W7 64 bit OS.

So now I know.

:)

have you tried hitting f8 on start up, and choosing disable driver signature enforcement?

im using 64 bit, and absolutely every program i need works brilliantly

or run this in cmd
bcdedit /set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
progress.gif

Hello there,

I can understand your frustration with W7 64 bit.. driver problems are definitely one of the biggest p!ss off's for a PC user no doubt.. however, 64 bit in my opinion IS the way of the future.. and I really don't think it will take too long for developers to produce drivers for it.. Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit Edition works VERY well and I have never had any problems finding working drivers for it.. Win 7 64 bit I think will work just as well if not better and in less time than it took for Win Vista 64 bit since 7 is built off the Vista kernel.. :)

As far as your drivers not working because Win 7 insists upon using signed drivers.. I've not ran into that problem yet, but I do know there are a couple of others on this forum who did.. One of these users simply forced Windows 7 to use them anyway (by applying the above mentioned method.. - hitting F8 on startup...) and so far he hasn't ran into any problems.. the other user ran his in Windows Vista 64 Bit under compatibility mode and was able to get them working.. Perhaps you could try either one of those methods and see if you have any luck if your really eager to use the 64 bit edition of 7 that is.. Or you could always do some searching and see if you can find a different driver that may be signed and therefore work without hassle IF one exists at this point in time obviously.. ;)

Otherwise waiting for the RC or RTM would probably be a good idea as by that point there should be more drivers available for both the 32 bit and 64 bit editions.. :)

Disabling the driver signing check is on of the first things I do after installing a x64 Windows.

Thanks for the tip, I tried the F8 trick and no it didn't install. I am trying to use the manufacturer's drivers that were made for Vista 64 bit Service Pack 1, but unless they are signed, W7 64 bit will not accept them. I looked it up on the help menu and that is what it said.

I'll probably have to wait until the manufacturer can develop exact drivers for W7 64.

Hi there
Why don't you leave the W7 X32 sysytem running and use W7-X64 as a Virtual Machine -- then as soon as most of the drivers are fixed you can do a V2P ("Virtual to Physical") conversion to run the X-64 machine on actual hardware.

A lot of OS'es are debugged and deployed this way -- your Mobo should support running a 64 Bit Guest OS on a 32 Bit Host.

I'm running W7 X-64 as a 64 Bit guest as a VM on a Windows XP laptop.
Note that the XP machine will only see 4GB Max so your guest OS will have to have less -- actually as a VM it works fine if you allocate 2GB to the Virtual machine.
Allocate around 25 GB for your Virtual Disk.

For eventual restore to a Real machine why not use Acronis True Image -- the Universal Restore allows you to restore an image (say your Virtual W7 X64) system to different hardware (V2P) . There are also some "Official" V2P utilities for doing the conversion as well --but Acronis works just fine in most cases.

If the "restored" Virtual machine does give a BSOD on boot just use the Repair function from the Windows Boot disk.

Cheers
jimbo

I'm using W7 x64, and I also have AA 3.0 installed with no issues. If you don't mind my asking... what sound card do you have? There may be someone here who is able to help you better if you share that information with us.

I use the M-audio Delta 1010... and M-audio is known for exceptionally poor support. When I first got 64bit vista, I had to download and install a 3rd party driver after disabling integrity checks because M-audio did not, at that time, support any 64bit operating systems.

Thanks for the suggestions !!

I also have a Delta 1010 LT sound card, and I checked out M-Audio's forums and there's quite a few people there already complaining about 64 bit drivers for Windows 7 and looking for work arounds. I'm sure it's just a minor fix that needs to be done, so I'm guessing M-Audio will have drivers for it sooner rather than later. They took a lot of flack over Vista drivers, but eventually they did come up with them. They have a long history of developing new drivers for new os's, as they have supported all of Microsoft's operating systems. So I'll just have to be patient.

In the meantime, I have gone back to my 32 bit version of Windows 7, to continue on with the 32 bit experiment. I may try a dual boot, so we'll see if I need to.

A note from M-Audio's product manager......

XP 64-bit:
Our resources are invested in recent and coming 64 bit OS's such as Vista 64, Windows 7 and Snow Leopard. We recommend users to migrate to these OS's for ongoing support if 64 bit operation is essential. We are not planning any updates to our current XP-64 drivers.

:)

4 Gig ReadyBoost USB Flash Drive

Is that a bootable drive.....? Your whole OS is on it....?

Would like to can the HDD's altogether and use 500 gig chip to store everything....... Is that possible....? ....( $$ aside....)

djwayne... the M-Audio Delta 1010LT, Delta 1010, Delta Audiophile 2496, etc... they all have the same install file. I have the drivers you need, and can verify they will work. If you would like to try 64bit again, I will be more than happy to zip the drivers folder and send it to you, as well as talk you through how to install it.

The trick to these drivers is that you cannot use the install program. I could have you up and running in less than 10 minutes worth of your time.

djwayne... the M-Audio Delta 1010LT, Delta 1010, Delta Audiophile 2496, etc... they all have the same install file. I have the drivers you need, and can verify they will work. If you would like to try 64bit again, I will be more than happy to zip the drivers folder and send it to you, as well as talk you through how to install it.

The trick to these drivers is that you cannot use the install program. I could have you up and running in less than 10 minutes worth of your time.

Sure that would be great !!

:D

Email sent. As I stated in the email... if the install doesn't work the first time... just let me know. There is a possibility I grabbed the wrong drivers.

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, the driver you sent me worked like a charm.

The 1010 LT is working on my 64 bit OS !!!!

This is fantastic, THANK YOU !!!!!!

Email sent. As I stated in the email... if the install doesn't work the first time... just let me know. There is a possibility I grabbed the wrong drivers.
I installed the 32 bit instead. Just got it done. It reconized all my hardware (64 did not) Hey Linux 64 does same for me. dunno.....

I remeber running games on ram drive. What a big difference in speed. That's why I'd rather just use a similar type to keep all OS's, programs and files on. Imagine a PCI-e card (or whatever) with a tarabyte gig for storage instead of platters...... The day a brainiac comes out on market for $100 or so, bye-bye HDD. and hello next AMD type of success corp.

Yeah, recording 96k is a must. 44k just doesn't cut it. I just didn't want you getting frustrated with "Faulty" sound like I was. I fought nail and tooth for almost two days before finally figuring out how to make it work, so I know what you were facing when I read the post. The difference is, I have used 64bit for 3 years now, and I'm just not willing to go back to 32bit. After you've used x64 to record for a while, I' sure you'll understand.

If you have any other problems, feel free to let me know. It sounds like your system and mine aren't that different. At least, not what we use them for.

Thanks, I should be all set now.

So now I'm back experimenting with the 64 bit version of Windows 7 again.

Back
Top Bottom