Windows 7 Windows 7 64-bit - upload problem

Artur

Hello Everyone,
This is my first post so welcome all. Since upgrading my Windows XP to Windows 7 I started to have a massive problem with upload. It does not work at all, either thru Flash nor normal http - I cannot attach anything in gmail, I cannot upload photos, etc. Speedtest.net shows normal download for my ISP package and a value close to 0 for upload after it takes a while to test.
Of course I seem not to have any problems with download. I tried to use company VPN session to check the upload and it worked but whenever I disconnect and use normal LAN it does not work. It's not a problem with firewall either other local software - I removed it all. Also ISP router has been working fine for years without problems - other computers in my home network work fine.
So I thought that it seems to be a LAN card driver issue (since upload works using Cisco VPN driver) and searched for new drivers / installed them but no luck. I even bought a new Intel PCI-E LAN card and installed newest drivers and still no luck - everything works fine but upload. Does anyone have any more suggestions here? I seem to be stuck with this problem and cannot figure it out. Thanks.

Hello Artur and welcome to the forum.
First try safemode with networking. Tap the F8 key slowly and intermittently as the machine is booting and select safe mode with networking.
See if the problem persist??
Click the start orb and type
ncpa.cpl
and hit enter
select the right click the network adapter you are currently using and choose properties.
In the frame labeled "This connection uses the following items:" scroll as necessary and see if you can identify anything that shouldn't be there. Particularly anything referencing a third party network filter. If present uncheck it or them and OK your way back out of there and reboot.
Failing the above, temporarily disable the built in windows firewall and see if that produces anything positive in the way of results.
If you would like to include a zipped copy of your System Information, we can take a look and see if there might be any issues we can identify.
Click the start orb and type
msinfo32
and hit enter
Click file -> Save
and save it to your desktop and give it a name Artur.nfo should be fine
Right click the file on your desktop and choose send to "Compressed (zipped) folder" that will make another copy on your desktop with a .zip extension. Attach it to your next post and we'll have a look.
Regards
Randy

Thank you very much Randy. I used the safemode with networking but it did not help. I checked the items that are used with the current connection and nothing seems suspecious to me. I finally geneated the .nfo file and compressed it. I hope that the different language of my Windows 7 will not be too troublesome (not sure if I could change it to English, probably not).
Update - the .zip file has 55.7KB but I cannot attach it from this computer (for that same reason, forum uploader just hangs) so I will upload it later using a different PC.

OK, we'll try to deal with any language issue.
Did you try temporarily disabling the windows firewall just to test?
What are you currently using or have you used in the recent past regarding any type of Software Firewall or Internet Security Suites?

Yes, I disabled the Windows internal firewall and it didn't affect the problem. Recently I have been using Comodo antivirus but it was installed after I had started to experience issues - the issues started when I installed Windows 7 actually, I never was able to make upload to work for me on this system. I am attaching the .nfo file now. Thanks.

Attachments

• Artur.zip
    55.7 KB · Views: 240
As best as I can interpret what is going on, it seems that you are running Comodo as well as McAfee. Not generally considered a good idea.
I would suggest removing both.
Use the programs own uninstaller if located in the program's directory, otherwise use the programs and features applet in the windows control panel.
Follow that up by running the vendor specific proprietary removal tool.
McAfee Consumer Product Removal located here http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe
Comodo is likely to be a bit more difficult to remove completely as they don't seem to provide any such removal tool and it would seem that many have not been very successful in getting rid of all remnants completely. Use Google and see what you can find.
Consider replacing both with Microsoft Security Essentials it is considerably more network friendly, has a smaller footprint, is less intrusive and free for up to 10 computers.
If after completing the above suggestions the problem persists, please attach another (new) copy of the information utility as before and I'll have another look. Please do not run it in safe mode use normal boot when running the Microsoft System Information Utility (msinfo32).
Regards
Randy

Thanks again Randy for your assistance. I removed McAfee leftovers and uninstalled Comodo, yet the issue is still there. I didn't install MSE yet, please see the .nfo file attached again.

Attachments

• Artur.zip
    54.9 KB · Views: 236
Can you test and confirm that you are able to upload a file (push not pull) to another computer on your local network (subnet). Just to confirm that the problem is not with your computer. I suspect the problem is likely with your router.
If the test seems to work without issue then we can zero in on your router as the issue.
You have two network adapters installed currently
Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
and
Intel(R) Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter
but you also have drivers loading for a Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet (b57nd60a.sys, evbda.sys, and bxvbda.sys). I have no idea why these are present or if they may be part of your current issue. Do you have or have you had this card installed? IF not you may want to consider doing a search for those three files and renaming the extension from .sys to .OLD (likely located here C:\Windows\System32\Drivers but may also be elsewhere) easily done and easily reversed if unexpected problems occur.
Additionally you may want to disable (in device manager) any network adapters that you are not current using.
Now when you are down to a single network adapter click the start orb and type
ncpa.cpl
and hit enter
select then right click the adapter that you are currently using (should only be one) and choose properties
First uncheck Internet Protocol Version 6
then
Select (highlight) Internet Protocol Version 4
and click the Properties button
In the bottom frame select the radio button that says
Use the following DNS server addresses:
enter the following values
Preferred DNS server: 80.50.50.100
Alternate DNS server: 80.50.50.150
OK your way back out of there and reboot
See if that provides any positive results.

Hello Randy,
I must thank you for your analysis. I connected another separate Windows 7 computer to my network and the upload did not work either. That turned my attention into router inspection firewall that runs on my Cisco 1711 router and after disabling the firewall it magically started to work! So it must have been with different packet structure in Windows 7 that my IOS version firewall is probably dropping - because it works for Windows XP. I haven't checked with Cisco yet but I will. Thank you again.

Well that is certainly good news as I was rapidly running out of ideas. Would have been nice to know in advance that you had a Cisco Router in place as that is not what we run into commonly here on the forum.
If you setup ACLs on the Cisco you might want to examine the syntax for anything outbound and make sure that your new Win7 machine is not being blocked by an explicit deny, which is the normal behavior of Access Control Lists if the provisions are not matched then the outbound packets will be automatically dropped / discarded.
Good to hear you're up and running and thanks so much for posting back and updating your thread with the solution that worked for you.
Thanks for joining our community and we hope to continue to see you around the forum.
Regards
Randy

Randy,
I did deep analysis into the problem and because I don't use ACL's on outside interface I found Cisco CBAC firewall droping packets with "invalid sequence" error. It's is CBAC stateful firewall building access rules on that interface based on outgoing traffic, by default everything is denied. I asked Cisco experts but they did not know the issue so I went ahead and upgraded the IOS to the most current version (12.4) I could find for my router and it magically started to work on that same configuration! So it must have been a bug in IOS causing the problem. We can mark this as solved, I can finally fully use my Windows 7 :cool:
Thanks again for your assistance.

Thank You, for actually posting back and letting us know what you found out about what was going on. Glad you have it sorted now.
Regards
Randy

Hi.
This my first post on this forum.
I had the same problem,Sluggish download-zero upload, using Virgin (UK) Wi-Fi.
I recently downloaded a Java update. I have now deleted the update and, low and behold, everything is back to normal!
Download speed 32.13 Mb/s.
Upload speed 2.50Mb/s.

I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom