Windows 7 Windows 7 64 Slow Internet / Connection Timeouts

jtbmw

I just purchased a Dell E6500 with Windows 7 64 bit. Everything works great EXCEPT for Internet Browsing. I tried everything I can think of and also tried some of the recommendations on the forums with no luck, includeing disabling the "Function Discovery Resource Publication". I then downloaded and installed the Virtual Windows XP Mode and the Internet Connectivity works great while browsing in the XP Window. All of my drivers are up to date. The PC at this point is unusable!! This is enough to drive someone to buy a MAC.:rolleyes:

Any feedback or recommendations would be much appreciated.

I just purchased a Dell E6500 with Windows 7 64 bit. Everything works great EXCEPT for Internet Browsing. I tried everything I can think of and also tried some of the recommendations on the forums with no luck, includeing disabling the \"Function Discovery Resource Publication\". I then downloaded and installed the Virtual Windows XP Mode and the Internet Connectivity works great while browsing in the XP Window. All of my drivers are up to date. The PC at this point is unusable!! This is enough to drive someone to buy a MAC.:rolleyes:

Any feedback or recommendations would be much appreciated.
My first thought of course would be, since you "just purchased" it what does Dell have to say about your problem, have they been of any help. Just guessing the answer is probably why you're here. First we will need some more information..
You haven't said how you are trying to connect (wi-fi or wired) if only one please try the other. You haven't mentioned how you are attempting to establish a connection, are you connecting directly to a broadband providers device, are you using a router between you and the device, are you using dialup..... can you use simple network diagnostic utilities, like ping and tracert, can you ping another machine on your network, can you ping the inside edge of your router, can you ping your isp's dns server, can you ping 4.2.2.1 can you ping www.google.com as you can see we kinda need to know what you've done so far and what works and what doesn't....keep us posted.

go to Start > Run and type cmd, Now type sfc /scannow

Now download CCleaner to clean temporary files and history, It is recommended by n=many people,'

You can download it here:
CCleaner

No go to Start > Run, an type cmd, then type ping google.com
My average response time is a bit 45MS. What's; yours?

Now click Google without the quotations marked Does the page load faster

Dell was not much help nor was Microsoft. They said that they have seen a lot of post on the forums relating to slow internet and if it is a Windows 7 issue, they will release an update that would resolved the issue at some point.

To answer your questions:
I have the issue on Wired or Wireless
I have tried 3 different Carriers (Comcast, Cablevision and Verizon)
I have tried this at 2 different locations (Home with a Netgear Router/Wireless AP and also at work where we use Cisco 1230 AP's)
I have tried updating all of the drivers, even going to Intel's website and downloading the newest drivers that they posted which were newer then the the drivers Dell Posted.
I disabled all AV software

Since my initial post I discovered a coupld of interesting things:
I installed the Virtual XP mode and when using IE in XP mode, it is screaming fast. When I use IE in Windows 7, it dies. XP Mode doesn't install any of the startup items and services that Windows 7 does so now I am persuing the startup items.

I disabled all the startup items EXCEPT for the network and Dell Controlpoint drivers and so far so good. I narrowed it down to 12 startup items (or combination) that is causing the problem.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks for the response.

By the way, all other Network Connectivity, including Telnet, Ping and File and printer sharing are blazing fast.

just to make sure that it isn't specific to IE, have you tried a third party browser, like fire fox of Google Chrome

Dell was not much help nor was Microsoft. They said that they have seen a lot of post on the forums relating to slow internet and if it is a Windows 7 issue, they will release an update that would resolved the issue at some point.

To answer your questions:
I have the issue on Wired or Wireless
I have tried 3 different Carriers (Comcast, Cablevision and Verizon)
I have tried this at 2 different locations (Home with a Netgear Router/Wireless AP and also at work where we use Cisco 1230 AP's)
I have tried updating all of the drivers, even going to Intel's website and downloading the newest drivers that they posted which were newer then the the drivers Dell Posted.
I disabled all AV software

Since my initial post I discovered a coupld of interesting things:
I installed the Virtual XP mode and when using IE in XP mode, it is screaming fast. When I use IE in Windows 7, it dies. XP Mode doesn't install any of the startup items and services that Windows 7 does so now I am persuing the startup items.

I disabled all the startup items EXCEPT for the network and Dell Controlpoint drivers and so far so good. I narrowed it down to 12 startup items (or combination) that is causing the problem.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks for the response.
Sounds like you're on your way to a solution, be sure and let us know which one or ones were the culprit.

Last edited:
Here is the solution. Even though during my troubleshooting I disabled Webroot Antivirus with Spysweeper, it turns out that that was the main cause of the problem. My one big issue was during my 8 hours of troubleshooting that was one of the first apps I though would be the issue so I just shut it down first without rebooting the PC. Anyway, after trying every combination possible of all my startup items and services, I finally homed in on Webroot after disabling it again, rebooting the PC and everything was back to normal. So I started going through all of the components of Webroot and found the problems stem from the latest version of Webroot "Email Attachments Shield" and the "Startup Programs Shield". If you disable those 2 shields for now (even though they are obviously very important and shouldn't be disabled) Windows 7 Internet browsing is quick again. Webroot does work fine on 32 bit systems. I validated that during my testing as well. This explains why when running Virtual XP, Internet browsing was fine being it doesn't load Webroot.

Thanks for posting back your solution. A lot of these types of problems are often associated with third party security suites. I'm glad you got it figured out, hope you hang around the forum and share your experience with others and congratulations on some excellent troubleshooting.

Thanks. I will be on this forum for quite a while. It has been very helpful to say the least.

Back
Top Bottom