Windows 7 Windows 7 Acer Laptop help!!!

fraserh

Hi guys,

I am new to forums and have a relatively noob level of computer experience so please be nice! I have built a my own pc before but this questions is about my laptop.

I was given a laptop by a family member who lives in spain, I live in the UK. Its an Acer Aspire 5730( i think!) laptop running Vista Home Basic in SPANISH!!!!

I have coped with it since May 2009 but its doing my head in now. I was thinking of rolling back to XP and reinstalling but they dont publish XP drivers for the laptop.

my friend gave me a copy of Windows 7 in English and said install it as Windows 7 will find the drivers for my laptop automatically!! I wanted to know if this is actually true that windows 7 will find my drivers for me????

sorry if this is extremely noob of me to ask!!
biggrin.gif

Hi guys,

I am new to forums and have a relatively noob level of computer experience so please be nice! I have built a my own pc before but this questions is about my laptop.

I was given a laptop by a family member who lives in spain, I live in the UK. Its an Acer Aspire 5730( i think!) laptop running Vista Home Basic in SPANISH!!!!

I have coped with it since May 2009 but its doing my head in now. I was thinking of rolling back to XP and reinstalling but they dont publish XP drivers for the laptop.

my friend gave me a copy of Windows 7 in English and said install it as Windows 7 will find the drivers for my laptop automatically!! I wanted to know if this is actually true that windows 7 will find my drivers for me????

sorry if this is extremely noob of me to ask!!
biggrin.gif

I think the odds are very good that it will find all of your drivers. If it finds your ethernet/wireless drivers, you can collect any others that you might need in device manager by right-clicking on the device and asking for an internet driver update.

i was just a bit apprehensive that acer would not have published Windows 7 drivers as they dont publish drivers for XP as I looked at rolling back to XP pro.

I have an older Acer Aspire 5672WLmi and installed Win 7 Home Premium (actually I had been using the beta and later the RC before purchasing the Win 7 HP DVD) on it.
During install Win 7 setup installed drivers for almost all my hardware including drivers for my ethernet and Wi-Fi adaptors.
The installer could only find VGA drivers for my ATi video card and generic drivers for my Logitech USB webcam.

The really cool thing is that after install was complete Automatic Update found drivers and software for both my specific video card and webcam.

I did have to manually install drivers for my Texas Instruments built-in SD card reader and PCMCIA card reader.
I had those drivers on hand before install.

Acer's European web site should have drivers available for Vista that will work with Win 7.

cool, so vista drivers work with windows 7?, well i think I may take the plunge and install it at the weekend when I am not working.

Back
Top Bottom