Windows 7 Windows 7 aero graphics problem

hugas

I'm currently running on Win XP and I would like to move to Win 7. But when i run Windows 7 upgrade advisor it says:

"Your current graphics adapter won't support the Windows Aero user interface. If you want to experience the benefits of Windows Aero, contact your PC manufacturer or retailer to see if an upgrade is available"

What's the problem? I'm running Nvidia Geforce GTS 250

Are you running 32 or 64 bit? The newest drivers were just released on 10/5, maybe 7 doesn't know it yet.

I have only seen that statement on my wife's pre-built desktop. Is your machine a Dell or some other brand? If so, you need to see if they will have a driver for your machine. My wife has a Sony VAIO desktop (VGC-LT15E). It seems that Sony was modifying the integrated video card and did not want to release a driver for Win7:mad:

Nvidia had the updated driver but it would not work. I had to find a work around (registry tweak).

I downloaded the latest nvidia drivers for XP but Windows 7 upgrade advisor says the same thing. Should I download drivers for Win 7 while running XP?

Last edited:
I don't think that would work since you are not running Win7 yet. What exactly is your computer? Is it one you put together?

I guess the question is are the drivers currently installed on Windows XP properly? If not that would be why it is messing up and saying that it wont work.

What exactly is your computer? Is it one you put together?
Yes. It's Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8GHz 4096 mb DDR2.
Motherboard is Asus P5QL-CM.
Graphics - GeForce GTS 250 1024mb GDDR3

Last edited:
Yes. It's Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8GHz 4096 mb DDR2.
Motherboard is Asus P5QL-CM.
Graphics - GeForce GTS 250 1024mb GDDR3

Wow:eek:

Isn't the video card longer than the board? Do you have this in some weird mid-tower case or a full tower?

Anyway, I didn't run the advisor so I can't say whether or not I would have had the same message. You have driver for the on-board video from Asus and Nvidia has the drivers for the 250 GTS. I would say you are alright to upgrade.

Wow:eek:

Isn't the video card longer than the board? Do you have this in some weird mid-tower case or a full tower?

I don't know. I didn't put it together myself.

Anyway, I didn't run the advisor so I can't say whether or not I would have had the same message. You have driver for the on-board video from Asus and Nvidia has the drivers for the 250 GTS. I would say you are alright to upgrade.

Do you mean it's ok for me to use Win 7?

I would say yes but its your call ;)

If its critical then I would make sure you can do a full restore or clone/image the drive.

Back