Windows 7 Windows 7 Blue Screen Of Death

ilovewin7

hi, I just got a new desktop with windows 7 home premium. I formatted the hard drive and install Ultimate. I have been getting the BSOD average about 3 times a day. It could come from any time (playing games, surfing the web, or just copying files). I didn't really use Home Premium so I'm not sure if Ultimate has anything to do with the BSOD (but i highly doubt). My BSOD display "IRQL_not_less_or_equal" which i have googled and read many suggestion of how to fix it. However, most BSOD people were getting is from installing or booting up. I never had problem when booting up. My BSOD just comes anytime during my usage. I also tried to reinstall windows 7 2 more times and nothing changed.
I got some suspect:
1. My graphic card might be overheating since i have my wireless card right below it and cover about half of the graphic card fan (i haven't tried to remove the card yet because if i remove it i have no access to the internet. Is there like a longer PCI slot join that i can use as a mean to bring my wireless card down so it doesn't cover the fan???)
2. Drivers. As many people says, it's the driver sometimes. But I have updated my drivers as much as I can and I don't what else i need to upgrade.
3. Beside my wireless card being the new hardware. I just found out not too long ago from forums that my RAM can make a different too. But that's prob the last thing I will try since I just got this desktop and it's under warranty
I'm also using Kaskersky internet security. That's about the biggest software i have on it right now beside Firefox, Yahoo, and all the flash and such required for surfing the web.
I bought my new desktop with intel i7 and 4GB DDR3 Ram, so the fact that it keeps having problem just bugs me. So if anyone has any suggestion, I would really appreciate it. Thanks

I think you are going to have to approach this systematically one thing at a time so I would first suggest getting some temperature monitoring for your CPU and GPU , and post some basic system specs for your hardware environment ?

Also can you upload your minidump files here so we can see which device or devices are failing ?

hi, thanks for replying. I can't find the minidump files. So i'll try to pay more attention when it happens next time. Right now I just took my wireless card out to see if that's the problem since it's the only hardware i installed after i got the desktop, nothing happened yet. What do you mean by basic specs for hardware environment? Sorry i don't usually mess around too much with my computers.
And yes, it was a clean install because i made sure i formatted the hard drive before installing the new OS in.

What do you mean by basic specs for hardware environment

That was ickmay's comment

Do a search for *.dmp (if you can ever do that in Windows 7). I turned off Microsoft's search utility and use my own 3rd party utility

it should kook something like this

1249-0345,dmp

hi, thanks for replying. I can't find the minidump files. So i'll try to pay more attention when it happens next time. Right now I just took my wireless card out to see if that's the problem since it's the only hardware i installed after i got the desktop, nothing happened yet. What do you mean by basic specs for hardware environment? Sorry i don't usually mess around too much with my computers.
And yes, it was a clean install because i made sure i formatted the hard drive before installing the new OS in.

for minidump first check your system is set to record them, by right clicking my computer, and selecting "advanced system settings" then click the settings button under "startup and recovery" and make sure it looks like this under "system failure" Link Removed due to 404 Error

any mindump files can then be found in the %SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP folder which is normally C:\windows\MEMORY.DMP

by basic system specs i meant motherboard and ram and cpu etc , easiest way may be to download SIW run it and right click hardware to generate an HTML report file you can reference and or post here :)

Hello

I don't mean to intrude here, but I have Windows 7 Professional 64 bit RTM Build 7600 and every time I download a large file and try to install it, it says that the file is corrupt due to file transfer problems or whatever:mad:. The other concern is how much it crashes. I'll post my specs and minidumps below. The only reason I can't debug the problems for myself is that the install of the symbols required for it is "corrupt"
I'm pretty sure it crashes for a different thing each time, but if someone could debug it and get back to me that would be great!!

Thanks

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor, 3200 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0605, 9/21/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.56 GB
Total Virtual Memory 8.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 6.38 GB
Page File Space 4.00 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

I uh...didn't know how much was needed haha sorry

Last edited:
I don't mean to intrude here, but I have Windows 7 Professional 64 bit RTM Build 7600 and every time I download a large file and try to install it, it says that the file is corrupt due to file transfer problems or whatever:mad:. The other concern is how much it crashes. I'll post my specs and minidumps below. The only reason I can't debug the problems for myself is that the install of the symbols required for it is "corrupt"
I'm pretty sure it crashes for a different thing each time, but if someone could debug it and get back to me that would be great!!

Thanks

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor, 3200 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0605, 9/21/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.56 GB
Total Virtual Memory 8.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 6.38 GB
Page File Space 4.00 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

I uh...didn't know how much was needed haha sorry

you will get a better response and more help if you start your own thread, as answers to minidump reads can get a bit involved :confused:

Go to control panel then action center then click on maintenece then reliability history you will see a chart fo things on given days that have occurred if you see a red x for a given day click it on, you can see what occurred then select the item then click it on and you can the get a technical description of what occurred and you cna copy it an post it.
Here id an example of one of my errors
Source
Tweak7

Summary
Stopped responding and was closed

Date
‎12/‎8/‎2009 07:09

Status
Report sent

Description
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.
Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Stardock\Object Desktop\Tweak7\Tweak7.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
Application Name: Tweak7.exe
Application Version: 1.6.0.31
Application Timestamp: 4ae5d365
Hang Signature: 45de
Hang Type: 256
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Hang Signature 1: 45deb5faeb9e2ebe95ecab4a11e698aa
Additional Hang Signature 2: a00b
Additional Hang Signature 3: a00b89dc4a80a5e5f97a582747aecfcf
Additional Hang Signature 4: 45de
Additional Hang Signature 5: 45deb5faeb9e2ebe95ecab4a11e698aa
Additional Hang Signature 6: a00b
Additional Hang Signature 7: a00b89dc4a80a5e5f97a582747aecfcf

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 792969796

When i try to open the minidump files, windows can't open it. So far after I remove the wireless card, the comp only restarted by itself once, but there was no blue screen and no event either when i tried to check for error.
The only thing i get from the reliability history is that a bugcheck has occurred. Nothing like the full details that Super Sarge has
I'll get a cable tomorrow and have access to the internet then i'll post my specs and try to access the minidump. I'm at a friend right now. Thanks for the responses. I have a hopeful feeling that it's the wireless card...:)

For info, having your system crash settings to "full kernel dump" will produce both a full kernel dump located in c:\windows\memory.dmp as well as producing mini kernel dumps forund in the directory c:\windows\minidump.

Because of file permission settings, you can not work with the mini dumps while they reside in the \windows\minidump folder. Simplyu copy them out to another folder, then use the GUI Windbg to orocess them. Better yet, copy the dumps out of \windows\minidump, zip them up and attach to a post.

When time permits, I'll be glad to process them and see what clues, if any they yield.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

hey guys. I got a long cable today and plug in my desktop. And to my misery, the blue screen keeps happening.
Here's my specs:
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7600.16385
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel Core i7 CPU 860 @ 2.8GHz. One Physical Processor/4cores/8 Logical Processors/64 bits
BIOS Version/Award Software International, Inc. 07/31/2009
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB DDR3
Graphic card NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
Network Adapter Realtek RTL8168D/8111D Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20)
Is there more hardware specs that i missed? I also download the bluescreen viewer thing and run it. Here's a picture of all the blue screen i got. I noticed under the "caused by driver" column the ntoskrnl.exe What is that? Also, i just bought this one too, so do you think it's best to just ask the company to replace it since chances are one of the hardware might be bad???

I think i brought up this point already, but most BSOD i read from the forums are from booting up. But in my case, it just happens whenever it feels like, how's that? Is it just because i happen to run the driver at different time during my usage???

Back