Windows 7 Windows 7 BSOD, audio loop

Starfox27

Hey I'm having this error while playing Civilization: Beyond Earth where my computer will just get a black screen and the audio begins to loop. The only solution is to turn off power and restart. Here's my W7F zip along with some cpu-z imgs from my previous BSOD post (and some additional ones) & my bugcheck (which is what I think should be the main issue)

I couldn't get img for other tabs so I'll list them.
Motherboard
Manufacturer: Asrock
Model: Z77 Extreme4
Chipset: Intel; Ivy Bridge; Rev: 09
Southbridge: Intel; Z77; Rev: 04
LPCIO Nuvoton; NCT6776
Bios: American Megatrends Inc
Version: P2.50
Date: 10/31/2012
Graphics Interface:
Version PCI-E, link width x8, max supported x16

Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 770
Clocks: core 135 Mhz, memory 324 mhz
Memory: size 2112 mbytes

From the event viewer, I can see the bugcheck was 0x00000116 which is VIDEO_TDR_ERROR. I've had gpu driver conflicts (switched from AMD to nvidia ~1 yr ago) in the past and I've used display driver uninstaller to install new nvidia drivers/along with getting rid of AMD drivers. I think my previous post referenced a BSOD regarding drivers but it was fixed. Thanks in advance.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=14BDB3B716A52FAF!137&authkey=!AE00bFqigu__s_w&ithint=file,zip

Here's the skydrive link for my bugcheck memory dump since it was too large to upload.
I also included my BSOD dump since this is a repost from my other thread which I will be deleting as this can be considered a BSOD now.

Attachments

• CPU.png
    CPU.png
    47.8 KB · Views: 400
  • Cpuz Memory.PNG
    Cpuz Memory.PNG
    36.5 KB · Views: 360
  • Cpuz SPD.PNG
    Cpuz SPD.PNG
    43.6 KB · Views: 433
  • 102714-23446-01.zip
    22.4 KB · Views: 233
Hi,
just debugging your dump file now. Don't worry about posting memory dumps just set your settings to this:
Go to Start and type in sysdm.cpl and press Enter
Click on the Advanced tab
Click on the Startup and Recovery Settings button
Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked
Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box
Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump << where your .dmp files can be
found later.
Click and apply to exit the dialogs, then reboot for the changes to take effect.

Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck C2, {9b, 0, 10, fffff880018f2503}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for Neo_0107.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for Neo_0107.sys
Probably caused by : Neo_0107.sys ( Neo_0107+116d )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
the above dump file is blaming:
Neo_0107.sys Mon Sep 16 04:48:00 2013: SoftEther VPN please try to update or remove if it isn't needed. It could well be the case that something is causing the driver to crash.

If you have the driver verifier running please turn it off. Other than the above i can't see a great deal wrong. Your drivers whilst some are a little old look fine.
If the other bsod was a TDR error run this test and try updating to the latest gpu driver from Nvidia. It currently stands at 344.48.
http://mikelab.kiev.ua/index_en.php?page=PROGRAMS/vmt_en

I remember uninstalling SoftEther a very long time ago but I still have a folder in program files of C. Would simply deleting the folder be enough to uninstall the drivers?

Edit - I ended up using device manager and just found the vpn driver and uninstalled it. Also, I think my BSOD is related to me downloading windebugger and fiddling with symbols loading as that was the only new thing I did before my system restore after the BSOD. I haven't had a BSOD since then only one audio-loop crash trying Civ: BE again. I will try the game again now that I think the SoftEther vpn driver has been removed.

Last edited:
Hey,
sounds like your on top of things so post back if you should need to and I hope all goes well.

So I got a new bsod after trying Civ: BE today (first time since deleting the SoftEther driver) and I was alt-tabbed so no audio-loop but I finally got a BSOD minidump out of it so I'm going to assume it was always just a BSOD and the audio-loop hang prevented the dump formation. So the bug check code is 0x00000116 from bluescreenviewer but I can't copy it somewhere else as the copying seems to hang and if I end process I lose control of my taskbar and I get an explorer.exe remote procedure call failed error so I have to restart. Is there another way I can deliver the minidump? This is the best I can do right now - cropping the bluescreenviewer.

Edit - Also I ran the gpu memory software yesterday but it only checked (1/2gb) out of my card so I don't know if the limited checking was an issue but no errors came up.

Edit 2 - I finally got the dump to copy and it's zipped. Ignore the dump issue I think it was just the computer warming up and couldn't process it. Here you go.

Attachments

• BSOD.png
    BSOD.png
    158.6 KB · Views: 430
  • BSOD 2.png
    BSOD 2.png
    57.2 KB · Views: 363
  • 102914-22713-01.zip
    176.5 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
Code:

BugCheck 116, {fffffa800d1db4e0, fffff8800fd51c84, ffffffffc000009a, 4}

Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\nvlddmkm.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by : nvlddmkm.sys ( nvlddmkm+91dc84 )

Hi,
as you see the Bugcheck refers to TDR errors. Nvidia has a statement regarding TDR errors:

Why does it happen? TDRs can occur for a variety of reasons, many of which are unrelated to the graphics card or graphics driver. Since Vista launched, NVIDIA has been working hard to address TDRs issues that are specific to the graphics driver. Last year, we set up the NVIDIA Vista Quality Assurance Site to record and address user issues:http://www.nvidia.com/object/vistaqualityassurance.html. Since that time, we have resolved a majority of the issues specific to the graphics driver and have also worked directly with Microsoft to release five Vista hotfixes, all of which are now part of Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1). If customers are still experiencing issues, we recommend that they continue to file issues at the quality assurance site. We also recommend that customers look carefully into the wide range of other causes of TDR issues such as overclocked components, incorrect component compatibility and settings (especially memory configuration and timings), defective parts (memory modules, motherboards, etc.), insufficient system cooling, and insufficient system power. Throughout the forums, there are numerous reports of hardware solutions to TDRs.
Ref:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/...-tdr-errors-display-driver-nvlddmkm-stopped-/

Basically almost anything can trigger a TDR and it's a matter of finding the cause. In the meantime however you need to apply a few updates:
Your current Bios stands at:
Bios Version = P2.50
Bios Release Date = 10/31/2012

Latest release stands at:

Bios Version = 2.90
Bios Release Date = 7/23/2013
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77 Extreme4/?cat=Download&os=BIOS
Please ensure I have the correct download and motherboard.

asahci64.sys Wed Sep 21 10:42:57 2011: ASMedia ASM1061 SATA Host Controller Driver please update:
http://www.drivers-download.com/en/downloadlist.php?id=214

asmthub3.sys Fri Mar 04 07:55:10 2011: Asmedia ASM1042 USB3 drivers please update. Site is in French click on 'Telecharger' to download:
http://www.station-drivers.com/inde...edia-ASM-104x-107x-Drivers-Version-1.16.16.0/

igdkmd64.sys Thu Dec 13 00:42:26 2012: Intel gpu driver. Please run Intel update utility:
http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

k57nd60a.sys Fri Jul 26 09:01:03 2013: Broadcom NetLink Gigabit Ethernet 57781 NDIS6.x Unified Driver. A later driver can be found on the Broadcom site here:
http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/netlink_k57.php

RTKVHD64.sys Tue Jul 30 13:06:46 2013: Realtek High Definition Audio Function Driver please update:
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

vrtaucbl.sys Sun Apr 01 10:08:53 2012: Virtual Audio Cable (WDM) Although there is an update, if the bsod continues you may want to consider removing this app just to check it isn't conflicting.

xusb21.sys Thu Aug 13 23:10:17 2009: XBox USB wireless controller BSOD issues in Win7 with 2009 driver please update:
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/d/xbox-360-wireless-controller-for-windows

Can you post the make and model of your PSU please.

If your overclocking the gpu then stop and return to default values. Try stress testing the GPU using furmark:
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Have you monitored temps at all?

What were the issues you had with the previous card?

Post any new dump files

I have the windforce 770 which comes OC but I'll try underclocking it to a default 770. If I recall, my previous BSOD post had something conflicting with the xbox 360 1.2 accessories driver so I'm not sure if I should update that. Also in regards to the Broadcom NetLink driver, my device manager reads 15.6.0.10; isn't that the latest driver or are you referring to DOS NDIS2 in the link? I still haven't decided on updating the BIOS because I'm not sure if that would help. My PSU is Rosewill Model RX750-D-B and I try to monitor temps during gaming with EVGA Precision X16 if possible. Civ: BE usually hovers around~60C but will crash. I've had games before Civ: BE that went up to 70C with no crash if that helps.

Edit - I don't remember much TDR issues with the previous card which was an AMD 6970. I think most of my issues stemmed from swapping to nvidia and having AMD/Nvidia driver conflicts which showed up after installing Nvidia but in my old post you directed me to DDU which seemed to have fixed most of those I think. I will try to test Civ: BE now that I have updated everything barring the Broadcom, BIOS and virtual audio cable.

Last edited:
Something i forgot to mention last time i posted. If the bsod persists try turning off hardware acceleration.

Well I just tried Civ: BE and got a bsod ~5 mins into the game. Here's the dump.

Edit 1 - I downloaded the win 7 64x broadcom drivers now since I noticed the dates were different but the version # was the same. I just installed but the timestamp is still the same, only difference was date modified -> 10/30/2013

Edit 2- I just noticed the latest BSOD is blaming cdrom.sys, is it possible for poweriso to directly conflict with gpu activity like this? (since i have a virtual mount).

Attachments

• 102914-23134-01.zip
    92.5 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
Code:

BugCheck 116, {fffffa800cca74e0, fffff8800fda4c84, ffffffffc000009a, 4}

Unable to load image nvlddmkm.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvlddmkm.sys

Hi,
another TDR. As this keeps occurring one has to consider whether the gpu itself has developed a fault. I can see it's the card that's at fault in the Stack Text although whether this is down to either software or hardware has yet to be determined.

Try stress testing the GPU using furmark:
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

If the card fails to complete the test could be that the card or slot is faulty.

Consider the options I posted about above.

So I disabled my virtual mount via poweriso and turned off hardware acceleration. I played the game for 15mins yesterday without crashing but I tried today and the display went off but the audio was clearly fine. I will do some 1920x1080 15 min benchmarks, are there other tests you'd recommend?

Edit 1 - After ~5 mins, it reached 79C and crashed, giving me this dump.

Attachments

• 103014-22932-01.zip
    109 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
Code:

BugCheck 116, {fffffa80074e1010, fffff8800fd48c84, ffffffffc000009a, 4}

Hi,
I presume that your edit above was relating to a Furmark test? The fact that the card crashed shows there's an issue. This could be either with the card itself, the slot your using it in and perhaps PSU/power issues. Temperature wise 79c isn't that hot for a modern GPU. My GTX 680 regularly hit's 75c and would go higher if I hadn't changed the fan speeds.
I'm not sure if you can do this but try running the card in the other PCIE slot. If I remember correctly your board has at least two PCIE16 slots so try the one directly below the one your using. If the machine runs fine you know it's the slot if it doesn't then you know it's either the card ot something related.

Well yesterday I cleaned my pc and tried to see if I could move the 770 up to the top PCI-e slot but the card was too long and there's no room so that's not possible at the moment. The pc only crashes during Civ: BE (had another black screen playing Civ after this, no dump), I can pretty much do everything else and watch anything. Could the pci-e slot just affect one game like that?

Usually cards will run fine in either slot. Some motherboards will make a distinction between a primary slot and a secondary just check the bios for any settings relating to the slots.
What is troubling me is not only the crash via the game but also the card crashed during the Furmark test which it shouldn't have really. Plus the previous history of gpu trouble makes me wonder if there is a slot issue.

Did you ever update the bios?

I have not touched the bios yet.

Edit 1 - I tried running furmark again today (15 min test) and it black screened immediately but it recovered and gave me an OpenGL TDR error saying that the drivers recovered.

Last edited:
I have not tested Civ/Furmark that much yet due to midterms but when I get a chance I will post updates. Thanks for the ongoing help, really appreciate it.

Not a problem.. Good luck with the mid-terms and post back when you get a chance.. :)

I tried Furmark 1080p 15min test again but it crashed and recovered right away - same OpenGL TDR error. I also tried civ and re-verified along with a new save to see if it was the game but still crashed. I might try more furmark tomorrow. If it is a faulty card, why does it only affect one game? Also thanks for the luck!

Back