Windows 7 Windows 7 BSOD, audio loop

Some games can be more stressful than others on the hardware. What were the other games like you played or play. Your card should be able to finish the Furmark test regardless and whilst it's not certain that it's the card that's at fault there is obviously an issue somewhere. This is why you need to update stuff like your bios if only to discount it from the suspects.

So I just tried to load bios update via a sandisk 16gb cruzer edge and screen just turned black. I tried this twice and it didn't work so is this just a usb issue? I reformatted the disk prior so it just has the 2.9 bios update.

Edit 1 - Games I've played along with Civ included Ryse: son of rome (~60-70c), shadow of mordor (70-85c), evil within (70-80c) and alien isolation (60-70c). Only civ crashed my pc, Ryse and alien crashed a few times but those were app crashes (just admin control stuff, nothing big).

Last edited:
Yea it's reformatted to fat32 by default.
Edit 1 - I just did a reformat again with default allocation (was 8gb before) and it did the same thing again. When I restarted, the display went off after windows logo. I had to do a system restore with startup repair. Also do you really think a bios update could fix this? I'm looking through updates beyond 2.5 and they only address F3-2133C11Q-32GZL updates (I use a single 8gb F3-12800CL10S-8GBXL) and PXE booting & VT-d (only one OS). Also I've been checking the civ forums and it seems a lot of ppl are plagued with crashes/hangs but since my furmark is failing I'm leaning toward bad gpu/software conflict.

Last edited:
As I mentioned above the only reason i suggested your bios was that then you could at least discount it. Do you know a friend who would let you use their machine for an experiment? Y'know try the card in their machine using either Furmark or the game to test.
Just out of interest what's your Pagefile like? Can you post details please.

Not sure if this is what you were asking for but here. C is for my OS and G is my steam game hdd. I used to have my OS on the G drive but G has some bad sectors so I got a new one and moved the OS over, now G is primarily used for entertainment. I'm going to try checking my G drive for errors again since the drive has some bad sectors.
Edit 1 - Just checked G, surprisingly quick and error-free.

Attachments

• Virtualmem pagefile.png
    Virtualmem pagefile.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 474
Last edited:
Hang on... So the game that keeps blue screening is currently on a drive ( not the C drive) which initially had bad sectors? Damn I wish you'd told me a while ago..
Ok what did you check the G drive with?
Try running Seatools:
http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/
Also download an app called Speedfan:
SpeedFan 4.50.
Click on the section called SMART and it will give you data on your drive there is alo a free online service which will give you a more in depth outline of the drive itself. It's well worth doing.

Using seatools, I got a 6C9AC2A4 error for the long generic test. I've used seatools before on this hdd when it was my OS and got the same error. I'm not sure if I can use seatools to fix it since it's a samsung hdd.

So I tried civ again with the latest drivers (344.6) this morning and my game only turned black this time. I was able to kill the process and my computer didn't crash. Also I think I tried repairing this samsung hdd before since I just found my seagate DOS repair disc. If I recall, there was no option when I first tried it. I'll give it a go later and see if it can be repaired though.

Sounds good Starfox, I'll await your next update (mind you been having issues myself which is why i answered your thread so late. This morning my PSU blew on me so had to buy and fit a new one..)

Oh man sorry to hear that. Well I got titanfall yesterday because it was sale and my gpu crashed again so I swapped it out for my old 6970. I tried civ BE with it and there was no crashing. I guess it really WAS just hardware failure. I'm going to try to RMA it with the manufacturer. Thanks for all the help, really appreciate it.

Damn... So it was the card after all.. That Furmark test is a good indicator of a cards health so we were on the right track at one point. Best of luck with the RMA and you can always post back if need be.

I'm not sure if I should make a new thread or simply re-use this one but I'm pretty much having the same issue again but with a different gpu (nvidia 970). I've even installed the game on a separate HDD, away from the faulty one in order to isolate that as an issue. The BSODs are consistent only in time (~1-2hrs) while playing 7 days to die (steam game). The computer is still pretty much the same barring the new gpu. Here's my W7F zip with new BSODs. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• W7F_04-04-2015.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 390
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 116, {fffffa800a74f010, fffff8800fde2828, ffffffffc000009a, 4}

Unable to load image nvlddmkm.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by : nvlddmkm.sys ( nvlddmkm+921828 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi Starfox,
sorry to see you have issues again. As you can see the above is a TDR which basically means the gpu driver tried to reset but didn't respond in time hence the bsod. This is the most prolific dump file from those sent. You could try updating the Nvidia driver to the later beta that's available:
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
The others seem to be network related specifically to SoftEther VPN:
https://www.softether.org/

Looking through the driver stack I also noticed this:
xusb21.sys Thu Aug 13 23:10:17 2009: XBox USB wireless controller BSOD issues in Win7 with 2009 driver please update:
http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories/controller-pc-compatibility

Try making the above changes first and see how you go. Please post any new dump files.

I forgot to mention please run the Intel driver update utility:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

Your very welcome and of course do post back if you should need to.. :)

Hey again. I've received a new BSOD after applying the driver updates that you've stated though I'm still not sure if I've deleted the SoftEther VPN driver. This BSOD happened when I was starting up GTAV this time around. I haven't really tried 7Days yet but I will try to soon. Thanks again.

Attachments

• 041615-25989-01.zip
    110.1 KB · Views: 269
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 116, {fffffa800dde9110, fffff88006059a08, ffffffffc000009a, 4}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by : nvlddmkm.sys ( nvlddmkm+7aca08 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hey,
another TDR although I see you recently changed GPU driver? Did you use the display driver uninstaller?
http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/
Try using the uninstaller to clean out the system and then either re-install the latest whql or try the previous whql driver.

Looking through the driver stack I also noticed this:
xusb21.sys Thu Aug 13 23:10:17 2009: XBox USB wireless controller BSOD issues in Win7 with 2009 driver please update:
http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories/controller-pc-compatibility

Edit:
If these blue screens continue in this vein then you may want to test your GPU as a matter of course.

It seems that the xbox controller driver issue keeps popping up no matter what. I've tried updating it every time you've suggested it. I'm going to try unplugging it and removing it completely in addition to re-installing nvidia drivers with DDU.

Back