Windows 7 Windows 7 cannot play DVD/but just CD

AliHsn

Hi,
We use a Sony Vaio laptop and everything was Ok... but all of a sudden a problem occurred.
Neither DVDs nor CDs could be played. We used Microsoft's Fix It (Automated Troubleshooting Services) and it fixed our CD problem and we can play CDs now but now DVDs . "Fix It" reported there still was a problem but it didn't fix it.
Currently, we can play CDs but not DVDs. When going to My Computer also, it cannot detect the drive when we put a DVD. Installing, codec and even deleting lower&upper filter from the registry didn't help either.
Do you have any recommendation?

Thanks!

Hey. You can see if there is a firmware update for the drive itself and install.

I would also manually recheck the upper and lower filters, that they're gone. If you haven't rebooted, please do so.

Hi,

Thanks for replying the post.
As mentioned in the first post, we have checked those filters.
In fact we deleted just the lower filter because not any upper filter was found.
But deleting the lower filter didn't help either.
We downloaded the Vista driver, because there is not any Windows 7 driver available for Sony VGN fs740. Sony said most of Vista drivers for Sony VGN fs740 are compatible with Windows 7 as well.
Now we can run CDs but not DVDs.

+1 Rep Saltgrass.

I was thinking the exact same thing but I didn't want to say.

Hardware errors I don't like to diagnose in case I'm wrong. But in this case, we may be onto something.

I'd try opening the case to the drive carefully and then using a very small amount of rubbing alcohol on a q-tip to clean the lens. Then, use a dry q-tip to wipe. Reassemble, attach and hope for the best.

Can you burn a DVD? If so, can you then read that same DVD?

If someone says CDs or DVDs only do not work, I worry about the lens for that media going out. May not yet be your situation.

Hi,

Thanks for replying the question!
What you've mentioned is logical. Thanks! We will try and tell you.

+1 Rep Saltgrass.

I was thinking the exact same thing but I didn't want to say.

Hardware errors I don't like to diagnose in case I'm wrong. But in this case, we may be onto something.

I'd try opening the case to the drive carefully and then using a very small amount of rubbing alcohol on a q-tip to clean the lens. Then, use a dry q-tip to wipe. Reassemble, attach and hope for the best.

Hi,

Thanks for replying. Yes, when cleaning the lens we should be careful.

Can you burn a DVD? If so, can you then read that same DVD?

If someone says CDs or DVDs only do not work, I worry about the lens for that media going out. May not yet be your situation.

Hi,
Thanks Saltgrass. The problem was because of the DVD lens. After cleaning it, it worked.

Hi,
We use a Sony Vaio laptop and everything was Ok... but all of a sudden a problem occurred.
Neither DVDs nor CDs could be played. We used Microsoft's Fix It (Automated Troubleshooting Services) and it fixed our CD problem and we can play CDs now but now DVDs . "Fix It" reported there still was a problem but it didn't fix it.
Currently, we can play CDs but not DVDs. When going to My Computer also, it cannot detect the drive when we put a DVD. Installing, codec and even deleting lower&upper filter from the registry didn't help either.
Do you have any recommendation?

Thanks!

Solved! We cleaned the lens and it worked.
I couldn't edit the title of the first post and add the word "Solved!" to the beginning of it in order to help others who may have the same problem. So, I wrote it down here.

Thanks all for replying the question.

Back