Windows 7 Windows 7 Computer Only Sees Other Windows 7 Computers

rkulp

I have 4 computers and a QNAP TS-209 NAS in a WorkGroup environment. Two of the Windows 7 computers see everything - the 3 Windows 7 computers,the Windows XP computer, the TS-209 and the OKI C5100N printer. One of the Windows 7 computers only sees other Windows 7 computers (just as if it were in a homegroup). All the computers have the same workgroup name and all users are the same on all computers (username and password). I can't find any setup differences between the Windows 7 computers that work and the one that doesn't. The only difference is the one that doesn't is running 64-bit Windows 7 and the others are running 32-bit Windows (7 and XP). I've tried everything I can find on the web to no avail.

Make sure the 64 bit Windows 7 machine is set up as the same as the one that works. For example: home, work or public network.

TorrentG,

Thanks for your quick reply. It is setup exactly as the other computers except being 64-bit.

TorrentG is absolutely correct sometimes making adjustments to your network locations on everything making sure they are all set to WORK rather than home, will help.
Other than that, on the problem machine make sure that NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled under the WINS tab, under the advanced properties of IPv4 as well as tuning on the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service, set the startup type to automatic and see if that helps.

Other than that, on the problem machine make sure that NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled under the WINS tab, under the advanced properties of IPv4 as well as tuning on the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service, set the startup type to automatic and see if that helps.

That helps a lot. TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper was disabled and I am unable to start it. When I try to set it to automatic, I get an error: "The system cannot find the path specified." Well, svchost.exe is where the path says it should be (C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted). I'm not sure what "LocalServiceNetworkRestricted" means but will find out. Thanks for the help. I will try to find a way to get the service started. If I can't, then I'll have to go back to a restore point where the service was working.

Double check the service logon settings.
services.msc
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper (double click)
Check log on tab
should say "Local Service" if not fix it using the browse button, make sure the startup type is set to automatic and reboot.
It may be just as likely that the problem may be with the Winsock Catalog or the TCP stack, try resetting both, command prompt type
netsh int ip reset C:\ipreset.txt
and
netsh Winsock reset
and reboot.
If still no joy elevated command prompt and type
sfc /scannow

I have a recent image of the system drive so I simply did a recover using that. I'm in the process of updating the patches now. Having the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper working has fixed the problem. Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the followup. Glad to hear that you were able to get it sorted out. Thanks for updating your thread and we hope to continue to see you around the forum.

Back
Top Bottom