Windows 7 Windows 7 could not detect dvd drive

PeaceKeeper

Hello,

I just noticed three weeks ago (I think, or could be earlier), windows could not detect any dvd i put in my dvd drive. Well, the Dvd Drive itself could not be detected in Device Manager but in BIOS the dvd drive is detected, I could choose the Dvd Drive as first in boot sequence. I am running on Windows 7 64-bit.

Any help would be appreciated

If you open Computer, does the drive show there? If you open the tray on the drive with Computer open, does it show up then?

Have you tried accessing Disk Management from the Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management and then Disk Management?

If so, does it show up there?

Have you tried accessing Disk Management from the Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management and then Disk Management?

If so, does it show up there?

Just tried accessing it, the drives shown here are my hard disk drives and my virtual roms, no Cd / Dvd Drive. Though there is a "Disk 0 Not Initialized"

I have tried the link and unfortunately, it only sees the virtual drives to fix. I'll uninstall MagicISO (virtual drives) later then try the fix again.

I already tried the registry fix but nothing happened.

It seems your situation may not be the same as mine, but I had to update the firmware on my DVD drive for it to be found and show up in Computer.

I just made a post about something like this a few hours ago. DVD/CD drive is in my computer and recognizes when media is in it, simply will do nothing with the media. None of the fixes worked, cannot get the FixIt tool to work. Have had this happen to two DVD drives now. tonight I will test with Ubuntu live to see if it is a drive failure or software related. I have no advice besides, that last time I had this happen I bought a new DVD drive and it worked. Of course 4 months later I am in the same boat again.

AlphaA

Do you have a new Intel based system? If so there may be problems with some SATA type devices.

It seems your situation may not be the same as mine, but I had to update the firmware on my DVD drive for it to be found and show up in Computer.

My DVD Drive is a Samsung Superwritemaster and checking the Samsung website, their last firmware upgrade of this kind of dvd was on 2008, does not even support Windows 7

From AlphaA's link, I tried uninstalling the MagicISO but the virtual drives kept on going back after each reboot. Installing / Uninstalling doesnt do anything also. I also tried uninstalling VLC but still no avail on the DVD Drive.

What did you do to uninstall MagicISO? That sounds to me like the install of MagicISO is corrupted if it won't let you uninstall correctly. I would recommend using something like CCleaner - Download, which is free to uninstall the program and clean your registry. Also, you should see if you can find out the registry values associated with MagicISO and remove those values if they persist after a uninstall. After that, but before rebooting, unisntall the DVD drive, VLC and anything else that you can think of that was recently updated and uses the DVD drive, like VLC player, etc.

However, if your drive is not officially supported by Windows 7 it may just not work.

Hope it helps.

AlphaA

I could not uninstall the DVD Drive since the drive itself is not showing in the Device Manager. Also, the drive is working fine before, it just happened one day (I could not remember when >.<) it stopped working in windows. But as I said, in BIOS it can still be detected as I can still change the boot sequence to start with the drive

Btw, MagicISO is now completely removed. I reinstalled it, ejected all virtual drives, uninstalled using CCleaner and cleaned the registry.

Hmm. You say the drive stopped working in Windows, so you have checked it with other OS? Like booting a live version of Ubuntu from a USB stick? I would suggest that, and that you take the drive out and have a friend test it, see if it works for them. If it does not work on the live USB Ubuntu and in another persons computer, I'd say it is dead.

AlphaA

Back