rigsby

Acer Aspire 4253
Windows 7 Home Premium
Online Armor Free
Avira Antivirus Free
D-Link DSL-2640T

Installed a brand new Windows 7 Home Premium on a brand new laptop.

"Windows can't perform the update : error 87002EFE"

Just thought I'd post this for anyone else having problems with error 80072EFE. Took me 2 days to sort it out.
These are what DIDN'T FIX THE PROBLEM :-

1. Ran the troubleshooter re. "Check for problems with windows update". It goes thru' the hoops and finishes with "Try Windows update again. Inline search for updates ran sucsessfully. Restart Windows update and click 'Check for updates'".
Did but I STILL get the error !!
2. Run TDSSKILLER - no infection found.
3. Manually installed the January stability update (KB977074). That's the ONLY update on the PC.
4. Ran the 'Fixit' from Microsofts website - which allegedly works for Windows 7 (according to some forums).
5. Gone thru' the process of stopping 'cryptographic' service deleting catroot2 folder and restarting.
6. Gone thru' the process of stopping 'Windows update' service, deleting 'downloads' folder, restarting.

WHAT WORKED :-

Was deleting the "Windows Update cache" as described here :-

Link Removed

Because I was tearing my hair out for 2 days I thought this might help someone. :p

It appears that you encountered an error (80072EFE) while trying to perform Windows updates on your Acer Aspire 4253 laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium. Despite trying various troubleshooting steps, the issue persisted until you found a solution by deleting the Windows Update cache.
Here's a brief summary of what you tried that did not resolve the problem:
1. Ran the troubleshooter for Windows Update issues.
2. Utilized TDSSKILLER to scan for infections.
3. Manually installed the January stability update (KB977074).
4. Ran the Microsoft 'Fixit' tool.
5. Attempted to fix the issue by stopping the 'cryptographic' service and deleting the catroot2 folder.
6. Tried stopping the 'Windows Update' service, deleting the 'downloads' folder, and restarting.
And ultimately, what worked for you was deleting the Windows Update cache.
For anyone else facing a similar issue, deleting the Windows Update cache might be a helpful solution. This process involves clearing the temporary files that Windows uses to store updates, which can sometimes get corrupted and lead to update errors like 80072EFE.
If you need further assistance or have any more questions regarding this issue, feel free to ask!

Back