Windows 7 Windows 7 error code 80072efe

beejay

When trying to update windows get the following error code 80072efe, have ran virus and spywre scan's without a cure, also have disabled firewall but still unable to update. Anyone experienced this problem and if so how did you overcome it. Any help from members will be really appreciated
beejay

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Error Code. 80072EFE

Step 1: Check background programs.
=======================
Disable firewalls or other Internet browser programs that can affect the Internet connection. The following programs can affect the connection to the Windows Update site and I suggest you remove or disable them:

McAfee firewall
Norton Internet Security
Zone Alarm Firewall
Panda firewall

Step 2: Delete the CatRoot2 folder
=======================
A: Stop Cryptographic Services:

1. Click Start, click Run, type in "SERVICES.MSC" and press Enter.
2. Double click Cryptographic Services, and then click Stop (if it has been started).

B: After stopping Cryptographic Service, please delete the "Catroot2" folder:

1. Locate the "C:\Windows\System32\" folder.
2. Delete the Catroot2 subfolder in System32.

Note: I am assuming your Windows Vista is installed in C:\Windows.

C: Re-start Cryptographic Services:

1. Click Start, click Run, type in "SERVICES.MSC" and press Enter.
2. Double click Cryptographic Services, and then click Start.

HI. Pat. Thanks for your input, I carried out your suggestions and deleted catroot2, then restarted Chriptographic Services, after computer re-start i still had small flag with red cross against it in the task bar, and was still unable to update windows. Error message code 80072efe still showing. I did notice in system 32 that there was two catroot folders. IE. catroot and catroot2. I deleted catroot2 but left the other catroot folder seeing i was'nt sure whether it should be there or not. For now dont know what the next step i can take
Regards beejay.

Hi Pat. Worked my way through rest of script. Disabled firewalls, anti-virus and still would not update. Entered microsoft websites in secure sites, still not able to update. Entered notepad
details as per script into run box, notepad host files did not contain any ref to updates, also all entries were preceeded with asterist. because of this the rest of script ie. flushing of DNS resolver did'nt apply. Seem to have exhausted everything. Never had anything like this in 5yrs of computing. Why it's there and how to get rid of it is a mystery.
beejay

Hi Pat. Eventually found it was caused by malware belonging to the family rootkit win.32. TDSS. The aswer is to d/load and run tdsskiller.exe. It scans comp and roots out the culprits and deletes them. Once done, everytrhing then normal

beejay

When trying to update windows get the following error code 80072efe, have ran virus and spywre scan's without a cure, also have disabled firewall but still unable to update. Anyone experienced this problem and if so how did you overcome it. Any help from members will be really appreciated
beejay
I finally found the solution for 80072efe error after along search...there is no need to do any research or twisty steps anymore.

It's something to do with the rootkit files, follow the following steps:

1) Download this file from the following link

http://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/utils/tdsskiller.exe .

2) Run it, follow the steps.

3) Reboot you computer...

4) check for updates ... good luck...
Note. This will fix windows defender update issue as well...

You are correct Dinz downloading tdsskiller and running the scan does and will remove the rootkit responsible for the error message.
beejay

Back