Windows 7 Windows 7 firewire help!!!!!

arc

HI im glad i can get info for Windows 7 here. I see a lot of people here complain about the Firewire connection in Windows 7 i heard Vista and W7 don't recognize any firewire you actually see the adapter only but not the HD in device manager and none of my hard drives can or be turned on or recognized. IS IT TRUE Microsoft TOOK OUT FIREWIRE FOR GOOD OR THERE IS SOMETHING CAN BE DONE OR GO AROUND IT SOMEHOW PLEASE I'M SURE THERE ARE MANY PEOPLE FACING THIS PROBLEM OUT THERE PLEASE HELP???????? I need to see my personal files family pictures which are stored in to my firewire HD'S:confused::confused::confused::confused:

My firewire works fine. They did take out the video capture ability.

Hmmm i see my firewire bus but when i want to connect my firewire audio interface i see the power in the actual audio interface but its not recognizing it or my hard drives???? Is there a command code or something that you did because 2 weeks ago everything was working but after a new install of 7 and booom nothing is recognizing as firewire.

Well, it appears you are ahead of me in the audio sense. What system exactly is using firewire to connect to your system?

You probably need to install additional drivers, but since I have not heard of a firewire audio, I am not sure.

I have DIGIDESIGN MBOX PRO FIREWIRE. And its really hard to believe windows 7 does not show it up the explorer window or in the control panel as it has been installed. DO YOU THINK REINSTALLING THE 7 WOULD HELP ME ANYWAY. MBOX is a audio interface for record music i really need to install it to listen or play music.

Have you checked the Device Manager to see if you show any unrecognized devices?

Have you loaded your motherboard's or builders chipset drivers?

Yes there is an unknown device there with a yellow question mark in the device manager but i tried the latest drives from the company but no luck so far. My motherboard is an Asus M2N-SLI and when i pop in the cd in says the EXE. program is not compatible with this version of windows.

If I have the right motherboard, it does not show any Windows 7 drivers but does show Vista x64 drivers for your chipset. It was last updated in 2007, but if that is all there is, you might try it. There may be some 1394 driver you could get from another source, depending on who made the controller, but I do not know. Texas Instruments made some of them and may have a generic driver. For an AMD board, it might be VIA.

I am assuming your unknown device is the IEEE 1394 device and you do not show one of those already installed.

In the Device Manager IEEE 1394 BUS HOST CONTROLLER ---- VIA 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller it shows it and it says This device is working. But in OTHER DEVICES ----- UNKNOWN DEVICE ! and im trying to find the manufacturer to see if they have an update for windows 7. I hope they have an update or something. right now i cant connect my MBOX PRO To use it as an Audio Interface and i cant even connect my Hard Drives that are firewire I cant have access to my files in my hard drives this is really really making me sick. thanks for your help so far SALTGRASS.

Is there any chance you need a new driver for the sound system. The page I found talks about Win XP.

Are you using an ac adapter to power the unit or just the firewire connection? If you are trying to power the audio and hard drives at the same time, you might be trying to pull too much power.

Were your hard drives used in XP, and do you remember how they were formatted?

The unidentified device may hold an answer to some of your problems, hard to say. I would try to load the drivers for whatever you can except possibly RAID if your board is capable of that.

Have you changed your bios lately?

Last edited:
Yes i need a new driver or firmware for the W7 for sure after a lot of reading blogs and checking the unit's website they say that they are doing their best to come up with the new drives for W7 they also said check the website regularly to get the updates. So no audio for now i guess i gotta partition my internal drives to install the old buddy XP again. I only use firewire to power the unit as i was doing on Xp before by the way i was using all my hard drives Seagates which are external firewire with the Audio interface at once no problems nothing. They are formatted NTFS i think. HMMMM ill try that but now the unknown device is gone it only appears if i choose legacy mode if you know what i mean but i dont understand why the simple Firewire HD can not be seen and turned on in W7 But recognizable by XP??? Oh by the way the external HardDrives are already powered by ac outlet, so its only the audio interface and i dont think the problem is pulling too much power.

Last edited:
I'm having the same problem. I loaded 7 last night and it did not pickup up 1394 card. I have a M-Audio Firewire 410 box and I had no sound. I went back and pluged in some speakers to the mini jack for the computer speakers just so I could have sound. I went to M-Audio and they said that they didn't have drivers for 7 yet. That sucks! Tonight I will look at the device manager and see if the 1394 card shows up. Anyone have any advice?

Even though I understand your frustration with your problem, please do not create polls to gain attention to your problem. The poll that you posted was completely non-sensical and contained answers that do not assess anything. Therefore, the poll has been stripped from this thread.

Back