Windows 7 Windows 7 format.

LKW

Ok well my PC recently got a virus attack, I tried virus scans but nothing would work. It wouldn't even let me do a system restore. So the only option I had was a reformat, now i'm new to Windows7 and assumed it was similar to Windows XP where I could just put my disc in and it would reformat the PC. So I put in the W7 disc (which I legally own) it loaded W7 fine, it still seems a bit slower and I noticed the hard drives weren't actually wiped, so does this mean the virus could still be on my C drive? What are the options I have, i'm not too sure how to reformat the drives, or if this will damage anything on W7.

If anyone could help i'd really appreciate it.

As you have not apparently used the OS since reinstall, it would be best to do it all again.
Bott up with the DVD.
When you get to the appropriate screen, on theWhich type of installation do you want? , click Custom.
It will then ask, Where do you want to install Windows? , click Drive options (advanced).
Click the partition that you want to install to.
Click the formatting option you want to perform.

Follow the instructions.
When it has finished formatting, click Next.

The partition will now be clean for your new installation.
Any other partitions can be reformatted when you are
back in the OS

As you have not apparently used the OS since reinstall, it would be best to do it all again.
Bott up with the DVD.
When you get to the appropriate screen, on theWhich type of installation do you want? , click Custom.
It will then ask, Where do you want to install Windows? , click Drive options (advanced).
Click the partition that you want to install to.
Click the formatting option you want to perform.

Follow the instructions.
When it has finished formatting, click Next.

The partition will now be clean for your new installation.
Any other partitions can be reformatted when you are
back in the OS

Thanks, that worked. Is there anything else I need to do after? Cause I noticed it's actually kind of slow to start up than it used to be, is there some drivers etc I need to install? I installed all updates, but it still seems a bit slower than usual.

Thanks, that worked. Is there anything else I need to do after? Cause I noticed it's actually kind of slow to start up than it used to be, is there some drivers etc I need to install? I installed all updates, but it still seems a bit slower than usual.

You need to install video, sound, and other drivers for all your devices. You can find them on your support CDs, or visit your hardware manufacturers' support sites for the latest versions.

Thats a whole new ballgame!
Your search facility will be indexing for the first one or two user sessions. This will slow down your useage. It can be disabled, but it is a useful feature for some.

The defrag facility may be operating. It works on a schedule but can be disabled from that and operated manually. Once it has done the first couple of runs, it settles down to a background shedule, on low priority, and I doubt you will see it working.
Other than thos two, I would suggest you use the OS for a couple of days, install your favourite software, and then, if you feel it is lacking, post back here, or start a new thread, and someone on thes pages will quickly fix you up.

Back