Windows 7 Windows 7 Freezes at the EXPANDING FILES stage then shuts pc down completely.

Drakarion

I bought all this pc gear in feb 2010. I put it all together and Windows 7 64 bit loaded just fine and worked all this time. Here lately during reboots and shutdowns I have noticed that my computer hangs and was very glitchy. I decided to wipe the drives and do a clean install. That is when I began having all this trouble. I have pulled all the parts and used only one stick of memory at a time and one hard drive at a time and I have read a lot of forums with people who are running into this same situation but never has there been a clear "This is what causes Windows 7 64 bit to shut your pc down at the Expanding files stage". I have this technical read out from CPU - Z and a read out from Speed fan. I know my way around computers and will be more than willing to try anything to fix it. One last thing that doesn't make a lick of sense. Just out of curiosity I decided to try and load my Windows xp 32bit onto this machine - Worked without any glitches or flaws and is currently what I am on right now typing this. I love my Windows 7 and would like to have it back on this machine. Is there anyone out there who can help me please. Thank you.
ALSO... FYI ... Yes this is a 64 bit machine with 2 2gig sticks of corsair DDR3 Ram. MSI NF750-G55 MotherBoard with a fully updated bios. AMD PHENOM II x4 955 Processor. NVIDIA BFG GeForce GTX 280 video card. Creative XFI Extreme Gamer sound card. I have a 1 TB sata HD and a 160Gig Sata HD.

Like I said it worked very well the first few months and then just slowly started having issues and last week just shut down and would not reboot. That is when I decided to do a clean wipe and reinstall and simply cannot get passed "THE EXPANDING FILES" stage of loading windows 7. Anyone out there please help. Very frustrating.

When you wiped the disks did you delete the partitions? or did you just do a format. If you only formatted try deleting the partitions and then rebooting. Restart the install create your partitions and see how that goes.

Last edited:
I tried that on both drives with each drive attached separately. I have deleted the partion and then reformatted both drives. No matter what I have tried it still hangs up at Expanding Files stage.

Back