Windows 7 Windows 7 Frequently Crashes unrecoverable (re-installation needed)

oneindelijk

This is the 3rd time that Windows 7 crashes in such a way that recovering/repairing is impossible. A fresh installation I put on a second partition finally seem to work smoothly and without errors when it crashes after a few days.
The current installation is still working, but lags and gives errors (both came from the same source DVD) from the beginning.
We're talking each time about the same machine, of course, a Acer Travelmate 5520 (dualCore 1,9 Turion with Radeon Xpress 1250).
First I thought it was due to an incompatible update or some kind, but I have performed all upgrades on this copy of Windows and it is still running...

So, can I acces the log files from my other (newer) installation ?
What should I look for ?

Welcome to the forum oneindelijk

Could you let us know what lags and what errors your getting. If it's blue screened can you zip the .dmp files up and add them to your next post. Have you opened a Command prompt with administrator rights and ran chkdsk. chkdsk c: /R may take awhile but it will check your hard disk for errors and try and recover them. Run it on each partition please

First, is it actually giving you a blue screen during the crashes. If so you might check the BSOD forum for the sticky explaining how ask for help with those.

Windows 7 has additional diagnostic utilities, that I have not even come across yet. One is the Event Viewer that may lead you to some problem by watching for errors or warnings around the time of an event.

There is also a Performance Monitor that can create reports about your system that might help track something down, which you can read about. Inside of that utility is the Resource Monitor that gives some good information.

Anything leading to a solution, such as error numbers, or other messages might help. From what you say, I would first suspect some type of memory corruption.

First, is it actually giving you a blue screen during the crashes. If so you might check the BSOD forum for the sticky explaining how ask for help with those.

Windows 7 has additional diagnostic utilities, that I have not even come across yet. One is the Event Viewer that may lead you to some problem by watching for errors or warnings around the time of an event.

There is also a Performance Monitor that can create reports about your system that might help track something down, which you can read about. Inside of that utility is the Resource Monitor that gives some good information.

Anything leading to a solution, such as error numbers, or other messages might help. From what you say, I would first suspect some type of memory corruption.

Oh yeah, It did gave me a BSOD. The last error message I got was Kernel_Data_In_Page Error 0000007x0.
How would I go about using the eventviewer with files from another OS ?
I could probably load the correct logfiles ?

I found the dump files; one from 3 days ago and one from yesterday

Attachments

• 071211-36831-01.dmp
    271.6 KB · Views: 481
  • 071411-39811-01.dmp
    275.5 KB · Views: 488
Last edited:
These were caused by a disk controller error. I would run a chkdsk /f/r and backup the files.

ERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR (7a)
The requested page of kernel data could not be read in. Typically caused by
a bad block in the paging file or disk controller error. Also see
KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR.
If the error status is 0xC000000E, 0xC000009C, 0xC000009D or 0xC0000185,
it means the disk subsystem has experienced a failure.
If the error status is 0xC000009A, then it means the request failed because
a filesystem failed to make forward progress.
Arguments:
Arg1: fffff6fc400074d8, lock type that was held (value 1,2,3, or PTE address)
Arg2: ffffffffc000009c, error status (normally i/o status code)

A- CHKDSK /R /F:

Run CHKDSK /R /F from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt.

Do this for each hard drive on your system.

When it tells you it can't do it right now - and asks you if you'd like to do it at the next reboot - answer Y (for Yes) and press Enter.

Then reboot and let the test run.

It may take a while for it to run, but keep an occasional eye on it to see if it generates any errors.

See "CHKDSK LogFile" below in order to check the results of the test.

B- Elevated Command Prompt:

Go to Start and type in "cmd.exe" (without the quotes)

At the top of the Search Box, right click on Cmd.exe and select "Run as administrator"

C-CHKDSK LogFile:

Go to Start and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter

Expand the Windows logs heading, then select the Application log file entry.

Double click on the Source column header.

Scroll down the list until you find the Chkdsk entry (wininit for Win7) (winlogon for XP).

Copy/paste the results into your next post.

Back