Windows 7 Windows 7 Help !

Garrity109

Hi guys ,
First off i am not a computer wiz kid, so any help is appreciated.

I have a Compaq Presario CQ60 laptop - Requirements - AMD Turion Dual-Core RM- 70 3-gb ram 2.00 GHz - 32-bit operating system.

I have had the laptop for under 1 year now, and i previously had windows vista home premium running on it, it ran so smooth, fast and i did not have any trouble with it at all. Unfortunately for me, i was passing on a few windows 7 forums a while back and seen that there was a beta available for download, so i thought what the heck and gave it a try. So i installed Windows 7 Evaluation copy. Build 7100 - ms windows 7 ultimate. I mainly used my computer for instant messaging, Emails, Music, Surfing the web so basically speaking it should run easily with my daily tasks, but the thing is, it was not. After i installed it, it started okay, but now i notice that my laptop easily increases in battery hotness, when i go on to windows live messenger, it runs really slowly and when i type, you cant see what i type then 2 mins later it eventually comes up, which is annoying considering the specs of my laptop, Also when i start up my laptop it takes a rather long time and the cpu goes straight to 100. My laptop also shuts down sometimes, which it has never previously done. So i was hoping to revert back to windows vista or is there another version of windows 7 i can get that will run smoother ? as i have ultimate, is that why it is running slowly ?. I cant really remember if i download the 32- bit windows 7 ultimate or the 64, but i am sure it was the 32. I was posting on other forums asking for help and no one could help me as i did not leave a partition with windows vista on it, but i noticed when i was mucking about that there is a folder in my computer/local disk / that there is a folder named windows old with various files such as program files-program data-users and windows, and when i click on the windows folder it has multiple folders like boot, system 32,system,tasks,temps etc multiple folders which look like they were used when i was using vista. So what can i do ? i would like to stay with Windows 7, but only if it ran smoothly like it should do, or alternatively i can i revert back to vista ?. Help appreciated, Thanks in advance.

That's a tough one. First thing you should look at is why the CPU is spiking to 100%. You're not really clear if it is always at 100% or just after it boots up. Given the problems you are having, I'd say it is sitting at or near 100% all the time. Find the process/processes that is causing that and see if you are able to disable them from start up or if they are from a program you don't need.

The Windows.old folder is created by windows 7 and stores a ton of files/folders from your previous version. Mostly unnecessary and takes up a lot of space. It shouldn't have anything to do with your problem, that is, unless you are low on disk sapce.

That's a tough one. First thing you should look at is why the CPU is spiking to 100%. You're not really clear if it is always at 100% or just after it boots up. Given the problems you are having, I'd say it is sitting at or near 100% all the time. Find the process/processes that is causing that and see if you are able to disable them from start up or if they are from a program you don't need.

The Windows.old folder is created by windows 7 and stores a ton of files/folders from your previous version. Mostly unnecessary and takes up a lot of space. It shouldn't have anything to do with your problem, that is, unless you are low on disk sapce.

Well when it first boots up it strikes straight to 100%, Then gradually decreases. But after a few task's, its back up again! Although i feel, As i keep emphasizing that with my specs, I should not have this problem. So you are saying there is no need for this folder ? and it cannot help me retain my old vista back ?

Being particularly honest, My processes are limited to about 14 daily, and the process using the most space is either my Internet Browser or Explorer itself. Is there any way of me rebooting and installing a clean version of windows 7 ? or anyway you can think of me getting windows vista back ? Have in being completely dazed about not initiating a partition drive for windows vista, I honestly believed there would be a way of me getting it back.

Do you have any ideas about my Windows Live Messenger problem ? I recently updated the Windows Live messenger and still the same problem, Even tried uninstalling it and installing an older version, Still no luck. It also appears to me that the response rate of my keyboard is shocking, due to the problems concerning Windows Live Messenger maybe?.

Did you "Upgrade" from vista? If so, then I would highly recommend doing a clean install instead. I'm not sure what the purpose of the Windows.old folder is for, perhaps it has some personal files you may want. I don't know if it serves the purpose of reverting back to Vista or not.

If you indeed did upgrade, and if you are able to, I would definetley do a clean install and you should not have any of those problems anymore.

Did you "Upgrade" from vista? If so, then I would highly recommend doing a clean install instead. I'm not sure what the purpose of the Windows.old folder is for, perhaps it has some personal files you may want. I don't know if it serves the purpose of reverting back to Vista or not.

If you indeed did upgrade, and if you are able to, I would definetley do a clean install and you should not have any of those problems anymore.

Yes like i said i downloaded Windows 7 Rc Build and installed it. Well okay, i just thought it would have a better purpose, more like a necessity. How would i go about, Doing a clean install mate?

When you boot up with the win7 DVD and begin the install process, you will be given the option to upgrade or custom. Choose custom and then you will be able to partition/format your hard drive and choose where to install win7. Keep in mind that this will delete everything on the hard drive. I really think this will work out for you. Good luck

When you boot up with the win7 DVD and begin the install process, you will be given the option to upgrade or custom. Choose custom and then you will be able to partition/format your hard drive and choose where to install win7. Keep in mind that this will delete everything on the hard drive. I really think this will work out for you. Good luck

When i downloaded it mate, i just used winrar to extract it to the desktop and then i installed it via setup, I did not put it onto a disk. I still have the files though, Will i just burn them onto a disk, Restart my com and see from there ? Thanks again bud, Nice to see you took some time out to help :).

Yep, you can do it that way, but to do a clean install you need to burn the .iso (also seen as a rar file) to DVD so you can boot from and install it. Any DVD burning program should be able to do it. Be sure to burn it at a slow speed, a lot of people have had issues with the installation because of a bad burn.

Back
Top Bottom